cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire plugs

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about what the general opinions are on plugging a tire as opposed to patching it.
44 REPLIES 44

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Actually, the Tire Industry Association says:

โ€œA plug by itself or a patch by itself is not an acceptable repair because the plug does not permanently seal the innerliner and the patch does not fill the void left by the penetrating object, which allows water to enter the body of the tire and starting corroding the steel belts.โ€

Also, the U.S. government through the Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates several aspects of tire repairs and maintenance. DOT sets tire repair guidelines that tire shops have to follow. They say:

โ€œRepairing a punctured tire involves plugging the hole in the tire. It also requires a patch for the inside of the tire, around the area of the puncture. Note that tires have to be completely separated from the rim to be properly repaired, plugged, and patched.โ€

:):)

A competent tire shop will do the above.

The tire must be dismounted from the rim, which is....

No big deal unless money, time, or a bit of effort (to remove the wheel) is tight.

Only time for a trailer tire - the shop charged a whopping $15.
(I watched the repair).

BTW - yeah - have had car/truck tires plugged in the distant past with no failures (by myself & shops) but a bummer if it leaks.
Sooo - why "cheap out"..:@

:C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this discussion is about plugging versus patching a puncture when you're not on an RV trip ... then by all means take the tire to a shop and lhave them repair it the best way.

If this discussion is about plugging versus patching a puncture when in a campsite ... then probably installing - or having installed - your spare tire is best.

If this discussion is about plugging versus patching a puncture when out in the middle of nowhere where installing your spare can't or shouldn't be attempted by yourself in the remote spot where you're at ... then plugging is the way to go if you have a good enough compressor along and the power to run it.

I carry along in the RV a spare and the equipment to change it, a couple of truckers grade tire-inflation repair canisters, a truckers grade plugging kit, and a full pressure 120V compressor with a generator to power it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, like I said, I personally just replace tires when I have a problem. Steering and braking are 2 areas I will not compromise.

But I have no problem plugging a tire- did it many times when I was younger and poorer.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
^ I canโ€™t find any verification that tire plugging is โ€œillegalโ€ anywhere. There are rules, guidelines, best practices, and there may be certain industries and businesses that have outright banned it. But, illegal? As I said, I canโ€™t find any evidence that is the case anywhere.

Like you, I cant be bothered to look it up. But 4 tire stores in my state have all told me the same thing that I posted.

I did try a search at, leginfo.ca.gov, because all encompassing statements drive me nuts and I cannot find and legislature regarding repairing by plug or patch.

I did find the following;
LINK
As someone is sure to notice, this is a pretty old answer to the question and is just opinion at this point, however, it is a common sense explanation of why there may be a lack of Vehicle Codes regarding repairing tires.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
I'm the guy who ruins the statistics. I've had 2 plugs fail out of 4.

And for the record, youโ€™re the guy who claims to know more about tires than the Michelin man himself.

Yup! I did it as an experiment. I didn't do them myself, and I kept track of their success.

Which is why I think of plugs as a temporary repairs.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
^ I canโ€™t find any verification that tire plugging is โ€œillegalโ€ anywhere. There are rules, guidelines, best practices, and there may be certain industries and businesses that have outright banned it. But, illegal? As I said, I canโ€™t find any evidence that is the case anywhere.

Like you, I cant be bothered to look it up. But 4 tire stores in my state have all told me the same thing that I posted.

You know how some people on the net go apesnot crazy when they hear a RV or TV might be a little overweight? OMG, you will be sued, lawyers take everything. (is there a hair on fire icon?)
Well there has been enough issues with tire plugs that a shop's insurance company might say "No!"

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
I appreciate all the responses. The reason I asked the question is because a couple of days ago, while camping, I noticed a screw in my right rear 5er tire. I took it off and went to the only tire repair shop within a 45 minute drive. (which would have been down the mountain and back up) They only did plugs, as they did not have the equipment to remove a tire from its rim. The guy that plugged it said the hole went straight through and was clean and easy to plug. I wasn't sure what that meant till reading these posts. Anyway, when we got home, I had that tire taken off, the spare replaced with a new one,(spare was 5 years old or so) and now the plugged tire is being used as the spare. Before ok'ing the plug, I called my tire dealer, who has been in local business 50+ years, and is well respected locally, who said the plug would be fine. It was my choice to trade the tire for a spare. Anyway, thanks for all your very helpful responses. If it ever happens again, I'll have more information to base my decision on. You've all been very helpful.

Just take the plugged tire to Discount Tire and they will install a proper plug patch for you for free.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the responses. The reason I asked the question is because a couple of days ago, while camping, I noticed a screw in my right rear 5er tire. I took it off and went to the only tire repair shop within a 45 minute drive. (which would have been down the mountain and back up) They only did plugs, as they did not have the equipment to remove a tire from its rim. The guy that plugged it said the hole went straight through and was clean and easy to plug. I wasn't sure what that meant till reading these posts. Anyway, when we got home, I had that tire taken off, the spare replaced with a new one,(spare was 5 years old or so) and now the plugged tire is being used as the spare. Before ok'ing the plug, I called my tire dealer, who has been in local business 50+ years, and is well respected locally, who said the plug would be fine. It was my choice to trade the tire for a spare. Anyway, thanks for all your very helpful responses. If it ever happens again, I'll have more information to base my decision on. You've all been very helpful.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short Story: Repoted to Wal-Mart Auto for a new tire. Ask the kid several times "how much for a new tire"

HE's going on about why they patch instead of plug (Truly I would only use a plug for emergency and then only on a car tire. on my 110 PSI RV tires.. NO WAY)

Finally I showed him WHY I ask about a new tire and he replied "YOU NEED A NEW TIRE!" (Well why do you think I've been asking how much for a new tire?)

Plugging can damage the cord and at 100+_ PSI a plug can ... unplug.

But a patch does not additional damage and can not blow out the hole

But then I've never had a nail hole type failure of an RV tire.. Truck tires (F-350 Custom) yes but they were patched. not plugged as well.. Once the tire guy finally got it off the truck that is (I'd put it on and well his big and I mean BIG impact wrench was not up to removal... I used the wrench FORD provided. that's all folks).

(Ever wonder why a lot of folks don't mess with me?)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Semis will only have their tires patched on the inside and no patches at all allowed on steer axle tires.
Too high a load and too much pressure for those plugs. I've used them and have kit with two tools and plugs that mushroom inside sealing there and in the hole but hven't used it in years. Won't do anything but inside patch on hp tires on our AMG.
If the hole is near the edge of the thread or in the sidewall no patching of any kind works. Too much flexing.
One reason to carry road hazard insurance on tires.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
A plug is only meant as a temporary repair. I carry all materials and tools needed to plug a tire on the road but always dismount and patch when I get home.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
When turning wrenches to pay rent our shop plugged probably 500 tires a year with life of the tire guaranty.
I only recall one came back and we just shoved another plug in.
I carry a kit in the truck just in case.

Price was about $7 for a plug. Patch was close to $20 + balance if requested. Most went with the plug. Most plugs were done without even taking the wheel off the vehicle. Patch is time consuming.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone's finances are different, but I always just replace the tire (or pair of them) when I have a problem.

fwiw, I have been told that in TN plugging passenger tires (by a retail business) has been against state law for several years. Owners can still do what they want, of course......for now.