cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing For Hire

Roadlover
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the best site to ask this question so I'll start here.

My name was given by a local RV dealer to someone wanting to have their FW towed about a 100 miles from where I live. I normally travel with a large truck camper these days but use to tow a FW and still have my 24K hitch. But I have a couple of questions.

First off, what is a going rate for this kind of job? I'm thinking seriously about getting into this as a side job and courious about what to charge. Don't want to price myself out of getting the job but don't want to cheat myself either.

Also, I don't have a CDL or licensed for doing this commercially, nithered am I insured to do this for hire. So are there any particular issues with me doing this for someone who is going to pay me to move it for them.

Those are the two questions I have at the moment but I'm sure there are other questions I should be asking too, so I would appreciate any impute.

Thanks
"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers
14 REPLIES 14

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Call Bennett Motor Express. They hire contractors to do this and can keep you as busy as you want to be and can operate under their motor authority and insurance. Obviously they give you freight and get their cut too, but they will get you top dollar. They haul for many manufacturers all over the country.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the DOT require a CDL has to do with weights, and."for Hire."

When the state requires a commercial license class is up to the state, despite Federal efforts to harmonize. Some states, it is as simple as the aswer to "am I being paid to make this trip?" There are states where vehicles must be registered commercial if used for business, and an employee driving needs a commercial license.

When I worked in Michigan, I needed a commercial license to deliver cars between our repair shop and dealers' lots, but not to drive a service truck for a vending macine company. That distinction, I thought was subtle, but it had to do with being paid to drive vs driving incidental to my job. Michigan laws may have since changed, but you would be wise to chevk them, as Michigan may still be one of the stricter states on this.

On a one time basis, you might be OK doing the job as a favor.

PS: if resident of Indiana, there may be laxity of licensing to tow RVs, as a concession to the industry. I know they've made concessions in other areas, like requiring dealers to collect sales tax.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why not do the guy a favor; and in the process he pays for all the expenses including filling up the fuel in your truck. In the end if he decides to give you a Walmart Gift card for doing him a favor, so be it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you do it on the books, there's very little money in it, and a ton of red tape.

Off the books, you can get into a LOT of trouble when you get caught.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and it makes a difference if you only staying in your state or going out of state.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV shippers are paying around 1.30 to 1.50 per loaded mile.
CDL only comes into play...from what I've read and the license branch has told me, when hauling commercially for profit...it doesn't pertain to RVs, but its based on your state of residence and you still have to make sure your insured as a lot of ins co won't cover you on a personal coverage situation if they find out you pulling even RVs for profit.
I'm looking at doing this myself...just finished the DOT physical. I'm going for the CDL only because a local trailer co dels cargo trailers all over and he requires a CDL before he will hire, otherwise no CDL required in IN for RVs.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about having someone pull my 28 footer from Walt Disney World to Jersey. Anyone have a god price for me? I'm leaving on the 31st. It was a pain in the butt.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
CDL is required if the trailer is over 10k or the combination is over 26k. In Oregon this would also be the trigger for commercial registration including getting a Motor Carriers numbers. Some states this trigger is lower (sometimes any weight if paid).

Inspection and hours logs and commercial insurance are required no matter what weight if you are being paid to haul.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I would do. Make sure the owner(s) have insurance on the unit. Have an owner ride with you. Charge extra for having to listen to them.

Just doing them a favor, officer!

I'd ask $3 a mile and hint they should buy dinner. ๐Ÿ˜„
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked to several retirees delivering RVs out of Elkhart In. They tell me that you only need CDL for the largest coaches. Not TTs or 5ers. Most work as independent contractors, so that has it's own problems. Depending on the company they pull for most are supplementing their income as paid tourists, and pretty happy doing it.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

greenenvy1
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
Roadlover wrote:
Also, I don't have a CDL or licensed for doing this commercially, nithered am I insured to do this for hire. So are there any particular issues with me doing this for someone who is going to pay me to move it for them.

Your doing this is fraught with disasters. Of course, if kept under the table and just this one time and nothing happens, the you lucked out. However, your doing this for profit, you will find that you have no insurance whatsoever with your existing policies. That alone should be enough to cause considerable pause to your plans. Your fault or not, you are on your own. Even slightly damaging the trailer in a parking lot, you are on your own. A significant at fault accident causing bodily harm to another could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Depending on your state laws, you will need a commercial drivers license, business license, commercial license plates for the truck, probably commercial license plates for the trailer, and have a valid DOT physical, and Homeland Security training.

On top of that don't forget about complying with federal hours of service regulations and completing a log book.
1990 Jayco 250 Special pulled by
2008 Ram 5500 QC, 84" CA, DRW, 6.7 Cummins

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Roadlover wrote:

Your doing this is fraught with disasters. Of course, if kept under the table and just this one time and nothing happens, the you lucked out. However, your doing this for profit, you will find that you have no insurance whatsoever with your existing policies. That alone should be enough to cause considerable pause to your plans. Your fault or not, you are on your own. Even slightly damaging the trailer in a parking lot, you are on your own. A significant at fault accident causing bodily harm to another could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Depending on your state laws, you will need a commercial drivers license, business license, commercial license plates for the truck, probably commercial license plates for the trailer, and have a valid DOT physical, and Homeland Security training.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You need commercial plates and insurance.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to your insurance agent to be enlightened.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch