cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing speed

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what speed folks run while towing. Where I travel I rarely spend any time on the interstate so my opportunity or need for 60+ MPH is rare. Next week I will be taking a 4 hour trip with most of that being interstate travel with a 70MPH speed limit. Which means folks will be running 80. I'm guessing most folks don't run that fast while traveling but I'm not too keen on running 65 and getting run over by everyone else on the rd. either.
59 REPLIES 59

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
In the great lakes region many interstates are 70 (some even 75). I will range from 65-69 when in those areas. Interestingly, fuel mileage consistently works otherwise in my rig. I will do 10-15% better at 65mph than at 55mph. I'm not well-versed enough to know why, but I presume it must have something to do with the gearing on the transmission.

You are now well-versed. It has to do with either higher RPMs in a lower gear or lugging (too low RPMs). Both will burn more gas than when you are at whatever speed is optimum for your rig.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I like to go around 65 on the Interstates. My main reason is not wanting to change lanes very often. You can usually just stay in your lane and have a relaxing cruise. I don't end the day all stressed out.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
55-60 tops for me, the thing I missed in every post on this topic is the ability to stop, or avoid an encounter on the road. Many of you know, many don't, electric brakes aren't the most reliable or best method for a panic stop,and I don't push my rig to that point. I have enough power to tow fast as I want, but a lifetime of driving truck and very fast cars teaches one to understand how quickly things get out of hand at speed.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a short 450 mile RT. Hwy and interstate. Ran 55-60 in the 55 zones, 65 in the 65 zones and on the interstate ran 65-70.
All in Oregon towing a 9500 lb TT with a 2500 gasser Ram.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Our last trip was 5,231 miles and we nailed down 14.68mpg overall. Inside California I tow at 55-62mph and in free states usually around 65mph.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My last vacation a month ago, and the ones before it, I towed the speed limit.

That was anywhere from 55 MPH to 80 MPH. I burned like 370 gallons of #2 in 4,200 miles in 3 weeks.

That's the way I have always done it and until I retire will continue to do it. It works for me.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
slower should get better mileage, but it doesn't.

As long as the transmission isn't always shifting. Your point about the transmission hunting is the explanation. You do want your set speed to be far enough above the shift point that a slight rise or small hill doesn't make it downshift.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I liked going 62 with my last pickup, but this one does not like 62 at all. The transmission is constantly shifting. If I speed up to 68 - 69 it almost never shifts.
I have also checked mileage, as I do on almost every fill, and there is absolutely no difference in my pickup driving 55 and using my foot so as not have the cruise control trying to give full throttle on every hill, vs. driving 69 with the cruise. I have said this before, but this doesn't compute in my brain, slower should get better mileage, but it doesn't.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
People can see your trailer in plenty of time to adjust their speed. So don't worry about it.

People plow into the backs of stopped patrol cars with all lights flashing that are off on the shoulder with alarming regularity, so I would not count on the fact that your trailer is large and white being enough to attract the average driver's attention.

I'm not concerned about fault here. I'm concerned with protecting my personal property and not having a weekend ruined by some jackwagon who can't pay attention while driving.

Not concerned if they do hit it. they will have to go thru 30 feet of trailer to get to me, and then they still have to buy me a new one.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran a test with my previous RV, then repeated it with my current RV, and got the same results.

I have a 1000 mile trip I take regularly. (Memphis to Colorado Springs to visit my sister.)

First RV: driving 70mph I got 6mpg, driving 60mph I got 9mpg (a 50% increase in gas mileage for a 14% decrease in speed). This was a 32' Class C on an E450 chassis.

Second RV: driving 70mph I got 8mpg, driving 60mph I got 12mpg (a 50% increase in gas mileage for a 14% decrease in speed). This is an Airstream travel trailer.

I assume that is almost entirely due to wind resistance.

So, my personal speed limit is 60ish. I say "ish" because most people drive on a 5mph division, 50 or 55 or 60. I like to drive at a slightly different speed so they don't "wolfpack" around me. I actually drive at 62mph. That way, everyone driving 60mph, I slowly pass. Everyone driving 65mph, slowly passes me. But, they don't bunch up around me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel ST tires are rated for maximum speed of 60 MPH.. so I hold my speed to 60 to 65 MPH.... Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try to keep my speed around 65 mph my tires allow me to go 80 mph but I know I wouldn't do that but for the most part I try to get in the slow lane or the two left hand lane and do the speed.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
65 on the interstates, rarely do I pass anyone which is nice. Only time I need to get in the left lane is on ramp traffic.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

blt2ski
SOme states like Washington, have two interstate limits in "SOME" areas. IE 70 in lower population/fewer exit/on ramp areas, FOR rigs UNDER 10K gvw, NOT towing. If over 10K gvw, and/or towing, then max 60mph or in some area's, like downtown Seattle, 55, parts of Tacoma in a construction zone 50mph.....
I find 60-62 is nice on cruise. As noted, 65+, clobbers mpg's, yeah we are not supposed to worry about them.....reality, some of us do like to get the best mpg, for a given speed area driving etc.
If you have a dually, or ANY SW pickup with a license over 10K gvw, your limit towing or not is 60 mph!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the speed limit is.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim