cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tried the Blue Flame, will be looking at another way to heat

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
Can't stand all the condensation, and it smells.

We don't use it at night, because it scares me ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

So, how to the "brick" heaters work? We had a Wave 6 catalytic in our other motorhome. and it worked good.

I'm always afraid of carbon monoxide, and leave windows cracked.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel
79 REPLIES 79

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Hmm... Still less efficient than a Vented Platinum Cat.

Not when taking into account the PlatCat uses room air for combustion. The Promex combustion/exhaust is totally sealed and separate from the room air.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:

Or perhaps just "less efficient" than the Plat Cat claims to be.

I've never found any evidence that any of the claims made on the Plat Cat website have ever been tested/certified by any independent agency.

The Propex, on the other hand, conforms to European standards of testing/certification and any claims it makes are subject to substantiation by appropriate certification authorities.

Propex wrote:
Heatsource blown air heaters conform to the latest European standards for both the appliance and the electronics and during the rigorous testing the focus is very much on safety. The heaters also have to comply with an enhanced version of the Electro Mechanical Compatibility Directive to ensure they do not interfere with other electronics and that they are immune from interference by other electronics.

Source of quote
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I found an interesting LPG fueled heater called Propex and is made in the UK.

It uses outside combustion air and vents the exhaust outside just like your original equipment furnace.

However, compared to your 80% efficient furnace it claims to be 93% efficient. The fan uses less than 2 amps compared to your RV furnace which uses 7 amps and up.

Propex heater;
http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/heaters/hs2800#efficiency

One of about 6 USA distributors;
http://westyventures.com/propex.html
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
One battery is Not Enough for any RV today, except for the minimalist that uses it as a hard sided tent

I have meet people living in vans that have two or more house batteries

One battery is enough IF you have a way to charge daily be it solar or generator. The smallest Honda will do the job nicely. But more is better if you have room for a second battery. I don't but we have gotten along fine with one for 12 years.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

MrWizard
One battery is Not Enough for any RV today, except for the minimalist that uses it as a hard sided tent

I have meet people living in vans that have two or more house batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
in regards to using my CPAP with any thing else that takes 12V......

now to figure out if THIS is true. So confusing sometimes. Not that the Webasto Duo Top Evo is a ducted furnace, but it does take 12V...

12 v. power usage: All ducted furnaces depend on a 12v. fan to circulate hot air. The fan in my first RV drew 7 amps from the battery. Another RVer with a bigger rig and a higher output furnace reports that his unit draws 11 amps. On a cold night when the fan may run for many hours, this load, combined with other typical 12 v. power uses, may completely discharge a typical battery in a single night, if the RV is not connected to shore power.

My two 8D AGM batteries handle that problem just fine.:W But I admit that I did have that problem with my first two coaches. And it wasn't fun. And its exhaust is ducted.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
6P12
BTU Input 5200
BTU Output 5000-5119
96%-98% efficient

Source: Arnie Lind
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
in regards to using my CPAP with any thing else that takes 12V......

now to figure out if THIS is true. So confusing sometimes. Not that the Webasto Duo Top Evo is a ducted furnace, but it does take 12V...

12 v. power usage: All ducted furnaces depend on a 12v. fan to circulate hot air. The fan in my first RV drew 7 amps from the battery. Another RVer with a bigger rig and a higher output furnace reports that his unit draws 11 amps. On a cold night when the fan may run for many hours, this load, combined with other typical 12 v. power uses, may completely discharge a typical battery in a single night, if the RV is not connected to shore power.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
*sigh*

$1,687.06 for this one "AIR TOP EVO3900 12V DIESEL" not the same but gives me an idea.

it's either spend a lot of money, or get rid of dangerous (in my mind, anyway) unvented heaters.

it would be great to get more space in the RV and not worry about propane tanks.

now, to figure out if it's worth it.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
DiploStrat wrote:
I have a Webasto Dual Top Evo on my Tiger. Does hot air heat and hot water. Next to no noise. Runs on diesel from the truck's fuel tank or, if you have a gasoline engine, a small, separate diesel tank.

Watch the little video.
that sounds WONDERFUL as I"m reading the material on the website. Showers every single day and warmth. How much does it cost?

//cringes and hides eyes// lol

if over $1,000 might be out of our reach ๐Ÿ˜ž How much diesel does it use?

Not new or installed at that price. But do you homework and take a look at ebay. The little bunk heaters can drive one right out of the bunk in a tractor trailer.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
DiploStrat wrote:
I have a Webasto Dual Top Evo on my Tiger. Does hot air heat and hot water. Next to no noise. Runs on diesel from the truck's fuel tank or, if you have a gasoline engine, a small, separate diesel tank.

Watch the little video.
that sounds WONDERFUL as I"m reading the material on the website. Showers every single day and warmth. How much does it cost?

//cringes and hides eyes// lol

if over $1,000 might be out of our reach ๐Ÿ˜ž How much diesel does it use?

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
wny_pat wrote:

See if you CPAP is both 110 AC and 12 VDC....

it's only 110...

You might be surprised, look at the label on the machine. Currently Resmed units are 24v and Respironics are 12v. Either can run directly from 12v with the appropriate adapter.

The Resmed adapter is about $75 and the Respironics adapter is about $25.

we hooked it up at one time from the power cord to the 12v plug hubby installed by my bed. I didn't work all night for some reason. Not sure what plug we used, I can't remember it's been a few years ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I guess when I said I was only 110 I wasn't remembering that ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
DiploStrat wrote:

Watch the little video.

we're in a diesel pusher. So...with these, sounds like there would have to be an engine running all night..not sure I want that since the engine is under our bed
No. It is diesel fired, much like the Aqua Hot units, but much smaller. Your engine does not have to run. They even make models to preheat the little VW tdi engines.