cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report and need a little pep talk...

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Just back from our Memorial Day camping trip. Left on Saturday, back here by 6 Monday. We have a 2013 Nomad Retro, which is quite short at 20 feet. It's alright for the 4 of us with 2 boys 8 and 6. We tow it with our Nissan Quest minivan, which does fine but is also a daily driver.

So we're from Indianapolis and we knew we wanted to camp this weekend most of the spring. We wanted to go to south of the state and watch the race, but we were too late in booking and EVERYTHING in the state parks were booked.

We settled on Caboose Lake which is a good size campground right off I-65 in the north of the state. We had heard about it at the sport/boat/travel show. They have a huge slide, wanted to do that.

Here's where I need cheering up. The first day was okay, took 2 hours to get there, 1 to setup and stabilize. Then we did the slide and other activities, but it WAS BONE COLD on Saturday. Super cold, so we didn't really have much fun, we were mainly cold. We did cook out for dinner and even made cinnamon rolls in a camp oven, that was a blast.

But, unlike the county campground close to our house or the state parks, everyone at this campground seemed to be seasonals or passers through, no one really to talk to.

We woke up Sunday and toured a near by Dairy farm we had wanted to for a long time. Got back to camp around 2 and conked out.

Then came the rain, it rained till 6:30 PM, we spent from 6 till 7 trying to decide whether to pack up and go home.

We feel like we've become experts on making due in the rain. We have board games, etc, but this is the 3rd time it's rained in the last three trips and it's been cold.

We stuck it out and went out to dinner at Arni's Pizza, one of our favs. Then we woke this morning and packed and left in thE RAIN again. It rained all night and most of today.

So I am feeling dejected. Like we'll never have good weather.

I also feel like camping is really just more rules.

You can't walk here, you can't do this. We hear of people doing ATVs, going hiking, doing all kinds of fun things, but it all seems like stuff we dont' have access to.

We thought that camping would be a good starting point for new adventures, things that you couldn't do from a hotel. But more and more we're finding it's just that much more packing.

I feel like we could have done everything we did this weekend from a hotel just as easy.

What are we doing wrong?
36 REPLIES 36

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, feeling much better now. It was a good trip. Maybe it wasn't like I had pictured in my mind sitting at work, but looking back now it was sure fun.

You know, there was a run in with our site neighbor early on the first day that probably made it seem worse.

My boys were playing behind our camper with a frisbee. At some point they wondered over to the next site over behind a big 5'ver.

An older guy came out and started telling the boys not to play behind his spot. I came to find out that they never hit is camper or anything, they were just in his area.

They quickly shuffled back to our campsite and my older son even said he was sorry.

By this time I crossed over to see what was the matter. I said something like "what's going on here" the old guy started on me that he didn't want my boys playing on site. I quickly pointed out that it looked like they had just wondered over by mistake.

At this point he made a wide gesture that this was HIS campsite and that was mine and to stay away from his.

I apologized again for the boys and said it wouldn't happen again.

It killed me to bite my tongue. I know he was right that he had rights to his space and my kids didn't have to be in it.

BUT, he spoke to my children BEFORE they even had hit his camper. Had they hit it already, that's one thing. Then he has the right to correct them on the spot.

BUT, to speak harshly to my children before they do anything wrong. That shows them NO respect.

Honestly, I was fuming. But, I collected my better angels and didn't bother him the rest of the weekend.

It's still raw in my mind though.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Well if you think it's going to rain every time you go camping, then yes sell it all and go to Disney world. In 30 years I can only remember a handful of trips that the weather was perfect every day all day.

Before you do that though, walk up to your kids and say Hey guys, you want to go camping again? See if their faces light up like Christmas trees as they get excited and say lets go. As they grow up they wont remember that it rained but they will remember camping.

It rains every day at Disney World in summer ๐Ÿ˜‰

I recommend to find campgrounds near attractions and go to places. NOt sure if you have an awning but even in inclement weather I still hang outside despite the weather, remember the weather is temporary, memories are permanent.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
In reading your post, several things stand out....

"We did cook out for dinner and even made cinnamon rolls in a camp oven, that was a blast." When the weather turns bad, do the things that are fun. What do you do at home when it's rainy and cold? Play board games, rent a movie, pop popcorn, enjoy your kids....

Also, you said, "But, unlike the county campground close to our house or the state parks, everyone at this campground seemed to be seasonals or passers through, no one really to talk to." If you're out walking and see someone sitting by their fire or whatever, say Hello! Most RVrs are friendly sorts. We are happy to share our experiences with others. Heck, you may even find out there's a great campground nearby you didn't even know about. Also, you might even get a chance to brag about your kids!, but don't be afraid to start the conversation. We don't bite...:B:B....

Oh! and I'll take rain and cold over a tornado any day of the week!!!....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Planning for a fun weekend and getting rain instead is really a bummer especially when you've survived a long cold winter and are ready for some warm sunny weather. We packed up early more than once so you're not alone there. (We're lucky now because as fulltimers we can follow the good weather.) Don't give up! Here's a nice state park not too far away from you - http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2968.htm We visited it last summer. It's a nice little park with a lot of things to do.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I think the weather has been lousy everywhere this spring. I don't think I ever remember a Memorial Day weekend this cold.

When you get a good weather weekend, you'll just appreciate it all the more after the first couple of experiences being rain.

Hang in there, it does get better.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The weather here in Indiana has been lousy this spring. Not much you can do about that.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm from Michigan originally. It doesn't get warm up in those parts until Mid June. We actually camped at Stone Mountain in January to get a feeling for cold weather camping. It made campfires much more fun. The park was deserted except for a few others and full timers. Had fun in the man made snow.

Check out state campgrounds vs. private. Look them up and read reviews. Don't give up!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you think it's going to rain every time you go camping, then yes sell it all and go to Disney world. In 30 years I can only remember a handful of trips that the weather was perfect every day all day.

Before you do that though, walk up to your kids and say Hey guys, you want to go camping again? See if their faces light up like Christmas trees as they get excited and say lets go. As they grow up they wont remember that it rained but they will remember camping.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things to cheer you up.

One, some of my favorite childhood memories with my folks (both gone now more than a decade) were when things went wrong. We could all laugh about it. Maybe gave us an example of making the best of adversity.

Two, we've made a some trips where it supposedly was rainy, foggy, etc season, and had spectacular weather. What a great gift! And you will, too.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pk1023 wrote:
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, all. I feel better and really feel like the weekend was just wrong.

But, to address the person that just posted about the hiking, boating, canoeing,etc.

Yes, here in Indiana we do have a great deal of access to all of that.

But, here's the problem we've found with almost everything. It's all pay to play.

Maybe this is just a lament about our society today in general. With the exception of hiking in the state parks, it seems like you have to pay someone for the right to use anything.

I think I am definetly going to double down my resolve and wait for the weather to really warm up and come through the rainy season that April/May has been here in Indiana.

This summer we're going to really take to it. There's a campground close to home that we can canoe from and they have great bike trails.

We're going to brown county and we're going to do horseback riding.

My wife won't be working, so she's going to focus on organizing our camper.

I believe it'll get better, I have to! ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe all the damp weather you encountered has got you down.
Keep in mind its still early in the season and the real decent weather hasn't arrived yet.
You really need to make reservations to camp for the most part. Trying to go last minute without reservations is problematic especially on a holiday weekend.
It gets better. Don't let the rain get you down or stop you from camping. Stay positive.
The sunny dats are more fun but I enjoy the rainy days as well, although setting up and breaking down is never fun in the rain.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at that campground 1 time on our way south. NEVER AGAIN. The rumble of constant semi's day and night was deafening. Nothing was going on there when we were there either. Check out the campgrounds on their websites. Many do have activities for the kids and will say so on their website. There will also be pictures. Many have crafts, hay rides, movie nights, costume contests, ice cream socials, fishing contests etc. I'm sure you will find a fun place your famiily loves, it may just take some more time. As far as the weather, we haven't liked the cold so far either. Can't wait for June, July and August. It will get better.

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the words of encouragement, all. I feel better and really feel like the weekend was just wrong.

But, to address the person that just posted about the hiking, boating, canoeing,etc.

Yes, here in Indiana we do have a great deal of access to all of that.

But, here's the problem we've found with almost everything. It's all pay to play.

Maybe this is just a lament about our society today in general. With the exception of hiking in the state parks, it seems like you have to pay someone for the right to use anything.

I think I am definetly going to double down my resolve and wait for the weather to really warm up and come through the rainy season that April/May has been here in Indiana.

This summer we're going to really take to it. There's a campground close to home that we can canoe from and they have great bike trails.

We're going to brown county and we're going to do horseback riding.

My wife won't be working, so she's going to focus on organizing our camper.

I believe it'll get better, I have to! ๐Ÿ™‚

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't have access to hiking? You don't have access to biking? You don't have access to fishing, playing in a waterfall, floating down a lazy river, canoeing, swimming, catching frogs, etc., etc., etc. I think you need to sell your camper. Or make new choices on where your camping.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We never cancel a trip due to rain or weather. When it rains it is about the only time we rest. Reservations as far out as 6 months or more can help.

Rules are a fact of life because of the folks that only care about themselves.

In a hotel it is not your bed.
We have learned over the years to leave wardrobe in the RV. at all times. All other needed stuff is in there as well. Only items we load are computer and we shop for groceries when we arrive at the destination. Our RV. always has a full tank of diesel, water tank always full and propane tank full too. Tanks for grey and black are always empty and ready to go.

Pogoil.

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We just camped in a couple of parks on the way to the Outer Banks. Both had activities geared to kids, just for the weekend. We don't have kids, and it was just an overnight stay for us, but I could see that these were great places to bring kids.
Also, back when we camped in a tent, Turkey Run state park in Indiana was one of our favorite places to go. Beautiful park, with great hiking.
As said before, Memorial day is the start of the busy season.
We pass by Caboose Lake on the way home, and it looks like a nice place, but I'd consider it an overnight stop.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1