cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turn fridge LP off at gas pump - another warning!

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are more threads about traveling with the fridge on LP. I do. My class c fridge is always on except, ahhh 98 percent of the time, when fueling.

This actually happened to me this past weekend in MD at a gas station. I was filling up the thirsty giant and watching the dollars tick away when a Harley pulled into the pump, the same pump as mine on the opposite side. He proceeded to fill up. I suddenly heard one of the loudest f bombs I've ever heard in my life. The gas pump did not auto-shutoff when the Harley was full. Gas shot out of the tank with an explosive force sending gas into the air, all over the Harley, the rider, the gas pump, the ground etc. It had covered an area of about 10~15 feet around. This guy was upset! I was still fueling but stopped the flow and went over to help. After I asked him if he had a match (kinda got smile out of him) he got some paper towels and proceeded to clean up. I finished fueling grabbed my multi-hundred dollar receipt and got into the RV.

I HAD LEFT THE FRIDGE ON AND COULD HERE IT BURNING!

If the Harley had pulled into the pump across from me instead of the opposite side, y'all would be reading about our dental records on the news.

I'm going to have a reminder plaque made up to put on my dash "Turn the @#$*&^%$ fridge off before fueling you idiot!"
104 REPLIES 104

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The recommendation to shut of the fridge at a fuel station is not to prevent a propane fire/explosion (like the one in FL) it is to prevent a fuel fire ignited by the propane flame. Show us an example of a fuel station fire/explosion caused by an RV fridge.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BigBoy11
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
DavidP wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DavidP wrote:
As a MC rider I'm a little amazed a fellow rider would not tend to the nozzle and rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. Moronic.
Really. How much gas can they possibly hold?

Well, my bike holds about 5.25 gallons. Not sure why youโ€™re inquiring or what that has to do with the discussion. Itโ€™s just one of those things if you ride a bike you manually tend the pump and not rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. In the event the shut off fails itโ€™s not just running all over the ground it is running all over a potential ignition sourceโ€ฆ..a very hot engine and pipes.

Very well said. I never rely on the pump to automatically cut off either.

X2 (or 3 or 4, I lost count). NEVER rely on auto shutoffs on smaller gas tanks. Biker had no one to blame but himself and obviously could have caused a LOT more damage.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just last night in Tavares, Florida Not a propane tank on an RV but you get the picture what can happen when 'someone' makes a mistake.

""Equipment failure and

human error

likely caused propane tank cylinders to explode at a central Florida...Blue Rhino...""

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/blue-rhino-propane-plant-explosion-in-tavares-florida-injuries-re...

'Human Error'

.....that's why you should follow the rules posted when it comes to propane.
You have no control over what 'someone else' is going to do around you.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvten wrote:
DW's job. When I pull into a gas station. She goes and turns off fridge.

As for the biker. I never trusted the auto shut off. When I had a bike. He is one lucky dude.

He must have been a rooky biker. Everybody who has a bike knows fueling with these new fangled pumps can be a pain. This sounds like 100% operator error on his part.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DavidP wrote:
Well, my bike holds about 5.25 gallons. Not sure why youโ€™re inquiring or what that has to do with the discussion.
You made the original comment and you're asking *me* why?

Not following your blather.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
If the fridge is running (there is a flame going) as you approach the pumps do you stop before getting to the pumps to turn it off or wait until you're at the pumps (possibly next to someone pumping fuel)?

When you leave do you wait until you're away from the pumps to turn on the fridge, or do you turn it on before pulling away from the pumps (possibly next to someone pumping fuel)?
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DavidP wrote:
Well, my bike holds about 5.25 gallons. Not sure why youโ€™re inquiring or what that has to do with the discussion.
You made the original comment and you're asking *me* why?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DavidP wrote:
As a MC rider I'm a little amazed a fellow rider would not tend to the nozzle and rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. Moronic.

Well, my bike holds about 5.25 gallons. Not sure why youโ€™re inquiring or what that has to do with the discussion. Itโ€™s just one of those things if you ride a bike you manually tend the pump and not rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. In the event the shut off fails itโ€™s not just running all over the ground it is running all over a potential ignition sourceโ€ฆ..a very hot engine and pipes.

Very well said. I never rely on the pump to automatically cut off either.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always check the position of the TT when fueling....usually the TT is a ways away from the pumps because of the length, so I usually don't turn off the fridge. And since I wind up backing out of most fuel stations today because of the new designs that place the pump island perpendicular to the mini-mart, the TT fridge never even passes in front of the pumps.

Clearly if I had a C or A rig where the fridge's flame was in proximity to the pumps it would make sense to shut it off. Unless it were a diesel rig and I was at diesel only pumps.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DavidP wrote:

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
So did anyone at the pumps start up their vehicle and drive away before ALL of the spilled fuel was allowed to evaporate or was soaked up and removed? If so, how is this any less dangerous than leaving the fridge on?

The vapor density is defined as the ratio of density of the vapor of a substance to the density of air. Air has a density of one. Substances with a vapor density of less than one are lighter than air and tend to dissipate easily. Substances with a vapor density greater than one are heavier than air and tend to accumulate in low places. Gasoline has a vapor density of 3 to 4. At normal temperatures, liquid gasoline is producing vapors that can catch fire, and which accumulate in low places. These vapors can travel considerable distances from the spill point. If you spill gasoline in the basement or in the garage, the flammable vapors can travel considerable distances and ignite from the pilot light of a hot water heater or furnace. Many building codes require that garage mounted hot water heaters be elevated 18 or more inches above floor level for this reason.

How high off the ground is the pilot light on a RV fridge?
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
One day I pulled in to fuel up and merely picked up the handle off the pump and had to turn it to position it and fuel poured all over me. Went inside to tell the manager and he said 'ya that happens all the time the gas stays in the line from the previous pump'.

Was fueling up my MH when I see a waterfall of gas at my feet! The vents had be dislodged in my fuel tank and as I was putting gas in once it hit the level where the vent caps where it just poured out all over.

So.....

As OP stated lots of dangerous accidents CAN happen at a gas station. Don't understand why most are so reluctant to follow advisories regarding propane appliances and igniters on RV's and gas?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DavidP wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
DW's job. When I pull into a gas station. She goes and turns off fridge.

As for the biker. I never trusted the auto shut off. When I had a bike. He is one lucky dude.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+