cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US citizen buying an RV in Canada

BeeTee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the hunt for a good quality used FW and found one in Canada. Has anyone from the US bought a trailer in Canada. I'm looking for info. on process, title/registration issues and costs, special taxes, etc. I'm trying to get a good picture if it's like buying an out of state trailer in the US or if there are a lot of extra barriers and costs.

thanks!

Bill
45 REPLIES 45

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
maxum1989 wrote:
Say nothing to the border agent? Really? Why not throw some stuff inside the trailer as well and really make it worth it?

you really don't want them to find your guns.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
First off, Canada does not have titles for motorhomes. At least not then, which was several years ago. Don't know if that has changed.
Dale

Not to dispute your claim, but the info you got from your friend was nonsense. Canada has always had ownership titles for all motorized vehicles including Motorhomes, cars, trucks, ATV's, etc. I believe this is universal across most of North America. Trailers also have titles.

x2

Even got one for a small utility trailer.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Scottiemom wrote:
First off, Canada does not have titles for motorhomes. At least not then, which was several years ago. Don't know if that has changed.
Dale

Not to dispute your claim, but the info you got from your friend was nonsense. Canada has always had ownership titles for all motorized vehicles including Motorhomes, cars, trucks, ATV's, etc. I believe this is universal across most of North America. Trailers also have titles.
2010 Suncruiser

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We have friends who bought their Beaver coach from a Canadian individual in their Arizona park. They knew the guy and the coach well and really wanted it. After it was all said and done, he said he would not do it again. First off, Canada does not have titles for motorhomes. At least not then, which was several years ago. Don't know if that has changed. But that in itself, was the biggest headache and hurdle he had to maneuver. He did eventually get the job done, and they love their coach, but he said, never again.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:
Get all important numbers, register it down here in your home state.
go to Canada and put the US plates on and tow it home, say nothing at the border. about buying it in Canada.

Just curious how you might register it in your name with no domestic ownership documents?

Preclearing a border crossing is very simple, just fax a form in to CBP at the border crossing more than 48 hours before you want to cross. It would be faster than getting caught breaking the law.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless it's Canadian built, how would buying an RV in Canada be cheaper than buying the same one in US? Especially considering the currency exchange rate?

BeeTee wrote:
I'm in the hunt for a good quality used FW and found one in Canada. Has anyone from the US bought a trailer in Canada. I'm looking for info. on process, title/registration issues and costs, special taxes, etc. I'm trying to get a good picture if it's like buying an out of state trailer in the US or if there are a lot of extra barriers and costs.

thanks!

Bill
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:
go to Canada and put the US plates on and tow it home, say nothing at the border. about buying it in Canada.

Say nothing to the border agent? Really? Why not throw some stuff inside the trailer as well and really make it worth it?
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Why?

Because the US customs will have you wait 10-12 hours while they run wants and warrants on the trailer as a stolen vehicles.

most repeated words of customs officers, " park right over there and come inside".

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to remove any decals indicating it was a Canadian trailer.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to receive certification that the chassis portion of the trailer meets US DOT safety requirements, if any. Since the chassis was probably manufactured in the US it should be no problem, but an importer may need to certify such. A few years ago we imported a Jeep from CA and had to go some procedures for importing even though it was manufactured in the US. Requirements for a trailer should be more simple than a motorhome or wheeled vehicle though.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Why?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link that may help. Canada cares little about exporting, it's importing into the US you need to be concerned about.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d be asking the canadian dmv you could get info on here that may not be right.

The Canadian Government has little do with US requirements

But move fast before NAFTA becomes a page in history.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
I,d be asking the canadian dmv you could get info on here that may not be right.

US Customs and Border Protection
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500