cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using golf carts around RV parks

MOWERMAN47164
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of buying a toy hauler & a golf cart, will we be able to use the cart in enough places to warrant spending on these only to not be able to use the cart enough?
52 REPLIES 52

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
I had to chuckle about the Smart Car post when you said "enough room for Costco runs" We have a Smart car, and it is not our vehicle of choice to go load up at Costco. One giant pack of paper towels and another of toilet paper and you are basically maxed out on cargo space. But we do love it to scoot around town for smaller errands or just going out to eat.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
If you already have the toy hauler and you are just looking to get around at the destination you can also consider the smart car ED route. Totally electric. 70 to 80 mile range on the highway and 90 plus around town. Comfortable, Air conditioning, enough room for costco runs etc. You can pick one up a couple years old for around 10,000 bucks or less if you shop around. Lots of fun, handles very well, stops on a dime, VERY QUIET and VERY FAST off the line. Available in a convertible but you will pay more. Here is Angela in hers. It is our go to vehicle and we put the majority of our miles on it. It is 8 feet 4 inches long so not much longer than a golf cart. it is about 16 inches wider though. Around 2000 pounds. Feel free to ask any questions.

Happy trails.

J and A

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
mowin wrote:
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
If you're handicapped, probably yes.

In the absence of real physical limitations (sheer laziness doesn't count) get out and walk. Your body will thank you for it.

WOW. Not everyone has a desk job. I own a lawn care/property management business. I get PLENTY of exercise during the week. The golf cart is a welcome reprieve from walking around.

While I don't have a lawn care, this week, I split a cord of wood, mowed my yard and my moms, helped my son paint a room and many other things. All state parks in Florida and Georgia allow golf carts so we use them. If you don't like it, stay out of our state parks and enjoy your KOA ****.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:

In the absence of real physical limitations (sheer laziness doesn't count) get out and walk. Your body will thank you for it.

WOW. Not everyone has a desk job. I own a lawn care/property management business. I get PLENTY of exercise during the week. The golf cart is a welcome reprieve from walking around.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:

Check with your doctor and see if a little exercise might do you in. The day might come when I can't walk far, but I see no need to hasten the day by sitting on my butt.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I bet you don't store it in toy hauler while in camp.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
We haul a GEM electric vehicle in our Toy Hauler. It is street legal with lights, turn signals, seat belts, etc. It has 2 speeds, one for the golf course and one for highway speeds. Max 35 mph. Great for the larger RV Parks to get ice or cruise around. All electric so the hauler never smells with gas. Our 4 passenger GEM also has a trunk for stuff. Never a problem at campgrounds. And no extra charge for additional vehicles because it stores inside our Toy Hauler.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Were seasonal campers, and we see lots of TH on the weekends come into the park with golf carts in the back.

As far as "leaving them where they belong, the golf course". May I suggest a golf cart free CG...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MOWERMAN47164 wrote:
We're thinking of buying a toy hauler & a golf cart, will we be able to use the cart in enough places to warrant spending on these only to not be able to use the cart enough?

Just be aware that many CG's and Parks do not allow them.

And if they do? All I can add here as a fellow camper is PLEASE do NOT turn your children loose all day using the golf cart in the CG. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
In some parks, any vehicle used on the roads must be street legal, registered and have a license plate.
I don't know about other States, but here in order to be registered and licensed, the vehicle must have high/low beam headlights, a tail light, a brake light, license plate light, and a horn.
My ATVs are street legal and licensed. (NO, I can not ride them on the roadways of a state that does not allow them on the roads!)

That is true for Oregon.
cpaulsen

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredJSO, love the kayak strapped to the golf cart...you gave me an idea ๐Ÿ™‚

OP, we love our toyhauler. won't ever go back from one now. we carry golf cart, surf fishing buggy for hubby, our bikes, my kayak, and so much more. Most times our golf cart is used cause the state parks we use allow them, but when we book somewhere that doesn't, we just don't bring it. You can't go wrong getting a TH for sure!! Even if you never haul alot with you at any given time, you always have that option to do so, plus it IS a RV like any other so you have all those amenities and such and still have hauling options if required. We love ours and just can't see ever going back to a reg. type rv.
Let us know what you decide!!

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be able to use it enough to "justify" the cost? Most likely not. Is it worth it? For us, absolutely yes.

Its part of RVing for us. Maybe half the places we go to allow a golf cart. But the ones that do, we really enjoy having it; especially Fort Wilderness at Disneyworld.

Remember. Probably 75% of the people with RVs don't use their RVs enough to justify the cost. But that's in terms of just money. We do it anyway because we enjoy it. If all we were looking for was a cost justification, most of us would stay in hotels.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our DP and bought a small Toy Hauler to cut down on expense and haul our new EZ-GO TXT gas golfcart and our new kayak. We stay at state parks for the most part using our golf cart to get around. It is also equipped to haul our kayak to the water.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
How about this compromise...just a thought.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to answer. I've been in quite a few RV parks where golf carts have been used. But I can't say what the overall utility of the cart would be. You may have times where it is useless and then a time where it is perfect for the location. Suggest calling around to places you may be interested in and inquire. Maybe get a used cart with potential to sell without much depreciation if it proves underused. Also, from experience, bicycles are almost universally OK. And quite useful in many areas. Especially if equipped with rack or something you can carry stuff on.