cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waldo Fl. speed trap update

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the link to the story but the famous (or infamous) Waldo, Fl. police dept. was dis-banded by the city council on Tuesday. The dept. is still under investigation by the FDLE. Reason given was lack of funds, funny since the fines levied by the police accounted for a significant amount of the city budget.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's
105 REPLIES 105

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Evidently a few have old jalopies that won't do much more than 60. A decent car will be laboring along in second gear at 35. I don't much like riding the brake, in fear Cops will write you a ticket. Reasonable speed, for the condition is the right perspective. Evidently Waldo, as stated in many reports, set the speed limits to encourage the production, of speeding tickets. They were not set for safety or to encourage stopping at their 7/11s or flea markets.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Cash register justiceShut down. :B
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
The town and the county sheriff are working on a plan to have the county take over the police duties. Will we see any difference? Time will tell.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
And the unreasonably low limit 35 MPH. It's six lanes thru there and many similar towns have 40-45 mph limits.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
And there will be the usual know-nothing's that post "Oh, you shouldn't speed".

How is it a "know nothing" post to say that if you don't speed your chances of getting a speeding ticket are greatly reduced?

More importantly, if I am a "know nothing" yet have managed to never get a ticket driving through Waldo... how stupid must you be if you have either gotten a ticket or allowed yourself to get all worked up about a posted speed limit?

One more thing... regardless of whether or not those officers from that department are enforcing the speed limit, the speed limit itself doesn't appear to have changed. What is stopping the Florida Highway Patrol from stepping in and enforcing the speed limit?

I think you should save your gratitude until the SPEED LIMIT is changed... not the officers enforcing the speed limit.

I don't really understand your anger with a speed limit change that requires that you apply for brakes. Heck, turning onto another street usually requires I hit the brakes... red lights require that I eventually hit my brakes... stop signs require I hit my brakes... roadwork requires that I hit my brakes... I think we should get rid of all those too!!!

Then again... what do I know... I'm just a "know nothing" that tries not to speed and accepts the consequences if I do.
I said it in the last thread, and i'll say it again in this one...

Gotta love all the ignorant comments from people who have never been through the town and experienced 6 limit changes in under 2 miles. Even the most careful drivers have (now had, thankfully) an issue complying with the speed through this town - has nothing to do with negligence.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
catmancando wrote:
oh no now the gator's will get fat and dis banded

It possible. Too many tourists in one day can upset their stomachs however.

That why the "Do Not Feed The Gator" signs are so prevalent. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
oh no now the gator's will get fat and dis banded

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Darn, there goes Florida's double secret tourist reduction program.

Well, we still have the alligator feeding program. :W
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Florida town infamous for speed traps disbanding police force
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Lawtey FL, Next on the Radar.Just a matter of time.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:

How is it a "know nothing" post to say that if you don't speed your chances of getting a speeding ticket are greatly reduced?

More importantly, if I am a "know nothing" yet have managed to never get a ticket driving through Waldo... how stupid must you be if you have either gotten a ticket or allowed yourself to get all worked up about a posted speed limit?

One more thing... regardless of whether or not those officers from that department are enforcing the speed limit, the speed limit itself doesn't appear to have changed. What is stopping the Florida Highway Patrol from stepping in and enforcing the speed limit?

I think you should save your gratitude until the SPEED LIMIT is changed... not the officers enforcing the speed limit.

I don't really understand your anger with a speed limit change that requires that you apply for brakes. Heck, turning onto another street usually requires I hit the brakes... red lights require that I eventually hit my brakes... stop signs require I hit my brakes... roadwork requires that I hit my brakes... I think we should get rid of all those too!!!

Then again... what do I know... I'm just a "know nothing" that tries not to speed and accepts the consequences if I do.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The gig is up in Waldo but the Lawtey PD is licking their chops waiting for you. Sticking to the speed limit in those areas is no big deal in spite of the hype of those who think they're special and can do anything they like.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
After my 43rd trip to FL from my birthplace in IN, in 1981 I finally moved there (I've hated cold for as long as I can remember). My 1st driving myself trip was around 1968. That Waldo trap was there then and no, it didn't get me, even young and stupid at 17.

My point is that for at least 46 years that I know of, that tiny little burg has been raking in serious extra bucks via this device. Anyone who believes that it's going away because of a "dis-banding" of the PD, please line up at the betting window. I'll take all comers!
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I couldn't be more pleased. It was an embarrassment to the state.
They should issue refunds to anyone that ever got a speeding ticket.

BS. The speed limit on a six Lane road in a rural Podunk town went from 60 to 30 in a distance so short you had to lay on the brakes to comply and if you didn't you got tagged.

The minimum speed limit should have been 40-45.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Although I have traveled through there several times without incident, I don't think having a quota to fill for tickets is a good idea.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work