cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waldo Fl. speed trap update

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the link to the story but the famous (or infamous) Waldo, Fl. police dept. was dis-banded by the city council on Tuesday. The dept. is still under investigation by the FDLE. Reason given was lack of funds, funny since the fines levied by the police accounted for a significant amount of the city budget.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's
105 REPLIES 105

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
There are many, too many here, who would drive 110 if the speed limit were raised to 100. They have something to prove. Unfortunate that their self esteems are based on "getting over" at whatever cost.

I'm happy with who I am. I can live within the posted speed limits even if I think I could go faster. I'm in no hurry.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
jnharley wrote:
I wish there was more traffic enforcement. Drivers are so unsafe. They pass on double yellow lines, blind curves, blind hills, on the shoulders of narrow 2 way roads etc. and they put us all at risk. It is not that difficult to obey the rules of the road including speed limits. Not a popular opinion though.

With so many reckless drivers passing you perhaps you need to pick up the pace or pull off a little more often? :h
Don't go there. You are not judge and jury. My school bus has been passed by semis while doing 55 in a 55 zone on a state road with passengers on bus.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double yellow lines means no passing.

I don't want to see more enforcement.

We need much better drivers training and testing.

Wet skid pad training, tours to emergency rooms and rehabs.

And junkyards.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends on the state, some states the double yellow line means No Passing by either lane.

However on the bike, on twisty roads I'll pass on the double yellow a lot just because there's no other way to get around, and if there's enough room it's not an issue. Bikes accelerate so quickly you can be out and back around in a heartbeat, and have room to spare.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

az99
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
I wish there was more traffic enforcement. Drivers are so unsafe. They pass on double yellow lines,
What is wrong with that? As long as it is not a posted No Passing zone and you have a safe sight distance it is legal.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jnharley wrote:
I wish there was more traffic enforcement. Drivers are so unsafe. They pass on double yellow lines, blind curves, blind hills, on the shoulders of narrow 2 way roads etc. and they put us all at risk. It is not that difficult to obey the rules of the road including speed limits. Not a popular opinion though.

With so many reckless drivers passing you perhaps you need to pick up the pace or pull off a little more often? :h

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I'm glad it's gone.

You are glad what is gone? Waldo is still there. The speed limits are still the same. The only thing is that the local police department has been disbanded. I'm fairly certain there will still be some sort of law enforcement in the area...

Gone is the corrupt police department who provided no discretion in their enforcement. Police officers are effectively the first judges. There's no "guilty" if they don't write a ticket and decent officers will actually use their brains to decide if exceeding the limit is actually causing a safety issue.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad we traveled through Waldo a couple months ago. Now, I can say I ran the Gauntlet back when, and didn't get a ticket. Makes me feel like I stuck it to The Man. LOL
Corruption, abuse of power, graft and greed are nothing new and won't ever go away. They're not only in Waldo, but in your home town, too.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it is a SPEED TRAP when other COPS say it's a speed trap. And they said it themselves in that news article.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I'm glad it's gone.

You are glad what is gone? Waldo is still there. The speed limits are still the same. The only thing is that the local police department has been disbanded. I'm fairly certain there will still be some sort of law enforcement in the area...

The speed trap and police dept is effectively gone. And I'll bet the signage changes soon.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
I'm glad it's gone.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Sorry - but I just don't believe you. Hows the weather up there?

Ha... okay.

Weather is great, autumn is my favorite time of year. Come February it'll be too cold and too much snow. I might make my yearly trip down to the Tampa area... driving 301 through Waldo and probably not going to speed or get a ticket then either.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Waldo, Fl speed trap even make the daily news in St Louis Post Dispatch!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven it dozens if not a hundred times over the last 45 years.

I have never received a ticket either.

AND I''M HERE TO TELL YOU IT WAS A SPEED TRAP!

The spacing of the signs and the too low limit was DESIGNED to create violations.

I'm glad it's gone.

And I like 301. I live near I4 and should take it and I95 north but I cut over to 301 to I26.

301 is more scenic and interesting and slower paced.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
More importantly, if I am a "know nothing" yet have managed to never get a ticket driving through Waldo...

I said it in the last thread, and i'll say it again in this one...

Gotta love all the ignorant comments from people who have never been through the town and experienced 6 limit changes in under 2 miles.

Reading comprehension skills are great to have, they can prevent you from eating crow. Please read the quoted section that I left up above. I've driven that stretch of road at least 8 times in the past 5 years. No tickets. That short fat pedal next to the long skinny pedal is the BRAKE pedal. It works wonders for slowing down. That gray matter between your ears is your BRAIN. It works wonders for simple comprehension... such as reading a speed limit sign or reading the text that you qouted without reading.
Sorry - but I just don't believe you. Hows the weather up there?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS