cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walking through campsites

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm I the only one that finds that rude? I've been at the beach for a week now, one spot back from the end and I have people constantly walking through our site, because they're too lazy to walk another 50 feet. These sites are not huge so they're walking right through our chairs, bikes etc.
Guess I'm just venting this morning.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
112 REPLIES 112

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

I think that part of the problem with adults is that they are from a generation that was never taught as children.

Dog Folks, You are absolutely correct! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lakeside

I used to think this on a lot of things, but I have now seen too many people from the older generations with the same entitled attitude that I think it is simply that people have forgotten that others are just as important as themselves.

That is a valid possibility also.

The world has moved on, and I am not sure it is better than 50 years ago.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

I think that part of the problem with adults is that they are from a generation that was never taught as children.

Lakeside

I used to think this on a lot of things, but I have now seen too many people from the older generations with the same entitled attitude that I think it is simply that people have forgotten that others are just as important as themselves.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
pappcam wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
It's about respect, privacy and manners. Period. These are all very basic values I (thought) all campers shared. I'm obviously incorrect.

I agree. Kids don't really know any better sometimes so that's not such a big deal but an adult should really know better than to invade someone else's privacy.

I'm sure some people don't really care if you cut through but lots of people do find it rude and that should take precedence.

Lakeside

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Cant WE just all get along with each other................. Nope I guess not.:E
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
You need to have a talk with your Attorney and get your facts straight. I don't care if you have your yard fenced and your viscous dog bites someone, you are liable. If you don't believe me, build a swimming pool, fence the area, and then have a kid sneak in and drown. Or better still, call your Insurance Agent and tell them you are housing a viscous animal. See how long they keep you as a client.

You know what, in this country you can be sued for serving coffee that is too hot. If I was worried about the potential for liability, I would never leave my house. Even then, I would be worried someone would call police or firefighter to check on my welfare and they might slip walking up my driveway to check on me and that would cause me to be sued.

What about the guy that walks through your campsite (because you don't have a problem with them doing that) and trips over your carpet? Or bangs his head against your slideout? Or stubs his toe on your chair.

I love internet lawyers. You guys are the best...

I definitely am not a "internet lawyer". I have 21 yrs. of P&C Insurance experience. I sold Auto and Homeowners coverage. You will find out your rights soon enough without me worry about you. :S

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
peaches&cream wrote:
You need to have a talk with your Attorney and get your facts straight. I don't care if you have your yard fenced and your viscous dog bites someone, you are liable. If you don't believe me, build a swimming pool, fence the area, and then have a kid sneak in and drown. Or better still, call your Insurance Agent and tell them you are housing a viscous animal. See how long they keep you as a client.

You know what, in this country you can be sued for serving coffee that is too hot. If I was worried about the potential for liability, I would never leave my house. Even then, I would be worried someone would call police or firefighter to check on my welfare and they might slip walking up my driveway to check on me and that would cause me to be sued.

What about the guy that walks through your campsite (because you don't have a problem with them doing that) and trips over your carpet? Or bangs his head against your slideout? Or stubs his toe on your chair.

I love internet lawyers. You guys are the best...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Ummm, actually, NO, it's not your site, you have been granted a temporary license to use it on a non-exclusive use basis.

This is done to prevent a slide down a VERY slippery slope, starting with someone grumbling about kids cutting through and ending in violence, or worse.

Imagine if every camper had the right to tell the grounds care people to bugger off for the entire season?

I've witnessed on more than one occasion a camper told to mend their ways or vacate the park for such behaviour, and a snarling dog is certainly a guarantee of a one-way ticket out the front gate anywhere.

Geez people... I cannot believe we are still arguing this. Rules at campgrounds usually state that you are to use YOUR site and COMMON AREAS, not other peoples sites. Courtesy is great, but a lot of people (including people on this site) have little or no courtesy.

JaxDad... renting out my townhouse to a renter provided my renter a temporary license to use the property on a non exclusive basis as well. That doesn't give me the right to barge into the bedroom in the middle of the night, does it?

When you rent an RV site, you agree to the rules. The rules state things such as whether firearms are prohibited, what hours are quiet hours, rules on using facilities, rules on pets etc etc. If rules state it is not allowed to trespass on another person's site... DON'T DO IT. Even if the rules don't state that, common decency is that YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT.

I am stunned we are this many pages deep and still arguing about whether or not it is acceptable to go into someone else's site... Perhaps we should start making signs to display when camping. Mine will read something to the effect of "Please stay off my site unless invited". Yours can say "Everyone is welcome to my site, my personal property, my kitchen, my cooler, my bathroom, my chairs, my fire, my towels, etc".

That will make it a lot easier for people to decide what site they want to venture upon.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
spoon059 why would you even have dogs that bark viciously and bite. Sounds like a lawsuit about to happen. Being aggressive is not really a solution. C'mon these are campsites.

How is this a lawsuit? If it is clearly posted in the rules and I am outside with my dog on a site that I paid for and someone violates the rules and gets bitten, that is on them. Same as if they come to my house and walk into the back yard where my dogs are contained by an electric fence and get bitten.

Come on to my property (if I pay for the site, it is MY property at that time) and into my dog's space, that is YOUR liability.

If you don't like it, you can avoid walking through my site. JaxDad... that applies to you too ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
spoon059 why would you even have dogs that bark viciously and bite. Sounds like a lawsuit about to happen. Being aggressive is not really a solution. C'mon these are campsites.

How is this a lawsuit? If it is clearly posted in the rules and I am outside with my dog on a site that I paid for and someone violates the rules and gets bitten, that is on them. Same as if they come to my house and walk into the back yard where my dogs are contained by an electric fence and get bitten.

Come on to my property (if I pay for the site, it is MY property at that time) and into my dog's space, that is YOUR liability.

If you don't like it, you can avoid walking through my site. JaxDad... that applies to you too ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Ummm, actually, NO, it's not your site, you have been granted a temporary license to use it on a non-exclusive use basis.

This is done to prevent a slide down a VERY slippery slope, starting with someone grumbling about kids cutting through and ending in violence, or worse.

Imagine if every camper had the right to tell the grounds care people to bugger off for the entire season?

I've witnessed on more than one occasion a camper told to mend their ways or vacate the park for such behaviour, and a snarling dog is certainly a guarantee of a one-way ticket out the front gate anywhere.

FoCoNoCo
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

In a common sense reality, you might be correct. In our reality, the law also protects the criminals and the criminally stupid. If someone climbed over YOUR fence on YOUR property, trip and fall in the hole you have dug up in the yard, the trespasser can sue you and win. It makes no difference that they are trespassing, you can still be held liable for any injuries they sustain, even if they're trying to break into your home. Is it right to protect the criminals? I don't think so, but the law is the law. And AFAIK, that applies in MOST areas, but maybe not all.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never had anyone walk through my campsite. Even when I had a primo spot just above a small beach and watering hole, other campers walked around the edge of my site to get to the beach and water.

I don't see it as being a difficult thing to walk around a campsite. My logic is that if I can't take an extra 20-50 steps to walk around, then I'm not in any shape to be out and about. Even in a rush to the restroom, I will walk around your site.

I do think there are Social Campers, Private Campers and Recluse Campers:

Social Campers - they enjoy visiting with other campers; they will greet you as you walk by; if someone walks through their campsite, they see it as an opportunity to meet someone new.

Private Campers - they will return your greeting; they will be polite if you want to visit, but will limit the conversation to a minimum; they don't want to be your best friend or entertain your kids/pets.

Recluse Campers - they will likely quietly slip by you without acknowledgement; they will stop a visit before it starts; they just want to be alone.

Camping etiquette is knowing that the other 2 types exist (whichever 2 they are) and they have just as much right to their preferences as you do to yours. If you're a social camper and run into a recluse camper, be considerate and let them be. If you're a recluse camper and run into a social camper, be considerate and politely make your request for solitude.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Sounds like a great opportunity to meet new people, have a quick pleasant chat, socialize....

That would never do. Put up some electric fence, maybe a couple big dogs. That'll stop them.

.......then post a rant on an Internet forum...:R

Lots of fun to see how many posts you can get that:

1. agree.
2. disagree (don't care about the walk-thru/s).
3. are walk-thru/s themselves.
4. admit they are walk-thru/s, and didn't know it is (a) rude, (b) inconsiderate, (c) against the "rules".
5. are regular walk-thru/s to get a closer look at (a) your RV, (b) your dog, (c) your wife - husband - significant other.

YRMMV (Your Rant Milage May Vary)..;)

:B..:B

~

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
I usually dont have this problem, mainly because I boondock. But it sounds like most people go to popular camping sites that have alot of traffic. So I guess you kinda have to expect some of this.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nine pages??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:

Should have contacted the campground management.... not your job to walk all over someones place looking in thier breaker box.... you could get shot.

Really? That isn't what I would call "Responsible" ๐Ÿ˜ž