cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH Really Needed?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does a 19' Travel Trailer weighing less than 5000lbs and 450lbs TW being towed by a 3/4 truck need a WDH? Or Antisway?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
18 REPLIES 18

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
With that size trailer on a 3/4 ton truck you do not need WD... UNLESS:

1. Your receiver is rated to only 500lbs without WD and your tongue is over 500lbs.

2. Your WD hitch has integrated sway control, such as a Reese Dual Cam, a Blue Ox Sway Pro, or an Equal-i-zer.

Either way it is not really about steering with a 3/4 ton truck. It is a receiver limitation, or a simple preventative measure.

Yes, if the trailer is properly built and properly loaded, it will tow fine without . That is a *BIG IF*. You'll never know for sure that it's properly built, but you will find out quickly, and catastrophically, if it isn't.

I guess if you don't mind the occasional cheek-clenching terror associated with a sway event, you can afford to experiment...

What he said: I towed a 19' TT with a 2500 Suburban back in the day: No issue with weight/capacity/trailer loading, but the Reese Dual Cam HP that I had really make the truck trailer act is one in the usual events that often resulted in sway: passed by tractor-trailer, swerving, etc. For a few bucks, it's worth the peace of mind.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
With that size trailer on a 3/4 ton truck you do not need WD... UNLESS:

1. Your receiver is rated to only 500lbs without WD and your tongue is over 500lbs.

2. Your WD hitch has integrated sway control, such as a Reese Dual Cam, a Blue Ox Sway Pro, or an Equal-i-zer.

Either way it is not really about steering with a 3/4 ton truck. It is a receiver limitation, or a simple preventative measure.

Yes, if the trailer is properly built and properly loaded, it will tow fine without . That is a *BIG IF*. You'll never know for sure that it's properly built, but you will find out quickly, and catastrophically, if it isn't.

I guess if you don't mind the occasional cheek-clenching terror associated with a sway event, you can afford to experiment...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
No.
Long ago and far away, I had an older 19 foot travel trailer. It was so old, a breakaway switch and cable were not installed!
The tow vehicles I used to tow it were:
A 1974 dodge 3/4 ton
A 1976 Ford E150 Club Wagon
A 1970 Jeep Wagoneer.
I did not use a sway control gadget with any of those vehicles. A properly built, properly loaded trailer should not sway. In fact, I have never owned a sway control gimmick.
I did not use a WD hitch on the Dodge or the Ford.
However, a WD hitch was an absolute necessity on the Wagoneer, to keep the back bumper at the correct height, and to keep the headlights from illuminating the tree tops. That, of course, is exactly why the WD hitch was invented!
Our camping trips back then were usually at least 100 miles, often 400 miles one way, mostly on 2 lane roads in the mountains.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
Every little bit of help towing will go a long ways when you are 10 hours into a drive

If you are just going 30 minutes down to the local campground, I wouldnt worry about it
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
WDH - probably not. Antisway - always a good idea.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question..... NO. Absolutely, positively NO you do not need a WDH. Sway control - better to have if, but if you load it tongue heavy, it isn't completely necessary either. I would use a sway control personally.

Remember that half the function of a WDH is to put weight back on the trailer axles too. Trailer axles on your set up are the weakest link followed by lesser tires than what you have on your tow vehicle. You could actually increase your odds of an axle or tire failure by transferring weight to those smaller tires and axles.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
Does a 19' Travel Trailer weighing less than 5000lbs and 450lbs TW being towed by a 3/4 truck need a WDH? Or Antisway?

I've never used one with my 20' trailer, 3500lbs, 1/2 truck. Only 30,000 miles so far so I'm not as seasoned as other posters.

I love the simplicity of being able to drop the trailer on the ball, plug in, hook up the safety chains and break-away and go.

My truck and trailer haven't exploded yet, or fallen apart. I have never had any sway troubles, even being passed repeatedly by semi trucks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO! Why would you want to put more weight on the front axle? T n P gave a good explanation.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
not if you don't need to distribute weight to the front axle of the tow mobile to reduce weight on the rear axle.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I always tow with a WD hitch - the truck and trailer handle better, especially on road surfaces that are concrete, which have the joints in them
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
No, most trucks are around 60/40 weight bias. The best handling vehicle is a 50/50 weight bias.

The closer you get to that number the better. When you achieve a 50/50 weight bias all 4 tires will brake the same and all will do equal work in the handling department.

This is why race car designers build 50/50 cars and people in the know put sand bags or a big plate in the bed of their trucks. They are trying to achieve a 50/50 weight bias.

This a also why trucks want to come around in the snow or rainy or slick weather. Not enough weight bias in the rear.

If you own a diesel it is much worse. If you own a Cummins it is even more worse. Those engines are REALLY heavy!

All that being said, it's always best to scale your truck to find out the weight bias of your truck and get as close to a 50/50 deal as you can.

As far as sway goes. I have towed 10's of thousands of miles with many different trailers and never, and I do mean never has a well handling trailer just "decided to sway." I've towed a few that wanted to kill me, but they did it from day one and they were ALL a poorly designed trailer with less than 10% TW.

Bottom line is this. A 3/4 ton truck can handle 4 or 500 lbs TW no problem.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also you should have 500 to 750 lbs TW for 5000 trailer weight if that is actual sCale weight.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only needed if you want design weight on the steering axle which helps prevent sway. It's not only about rear end squat.