cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whatever happened to fiberglass LP tanks ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I never see them advertised any more. Have they been outlawed ?

I really like the idea of being able to see the liquid fuel level.
27 REPLIES 27

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
I used to run a pair of 30 pounders on our previous Spree, now have dual 20 pounders on our current Coachmen, yet haven't ever come remotely close to ever being without propane. Used sequentially, I always have a full second tank on hand while the first is in use so why would I care how much propane "exactly" may be in the in-service tank?

It seems like you would care "exactly" about the level in your final/last in-service tank.

I watch the level in our single 60 lb. (18 gallon) tank carefully, as we camp out West a lot and are not always only a hop-skip-and-a jump away from propane ... if I even know where propane sources are at any particular time.

We also like to think of our RV as a smaller but portable extension of our brick and mortar house ... so we keep our RV coach's interior temperature no less than 60 degrees at night - the same as our house.

Those two requirements mean that I need to know what's going on with our propane level at all times - otherwise we'd have to run the generator almost 24/7 to keep the refrigerator cold and the RV warm until we could find propane somewhere.

The OP may be similar in their camping situations and desires.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine carries a $10 bathroom scale and a small square of plywood for a flat platform to sit it on. On his TT, he's able to lift up the in service cylinder enough to slip the scale and plywood underneath it and read the weight. Subtracting the tare weight tells him exactly how much LP is left. I've also seen someone use a hanging fish type scale to weigh a cylinder.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I'm scratching my head as to why using tanks sequentially helps out the OP to know the exact remaining level of propane they have available for camping before having to break camp or drive just the tow vehicle someplace to refill??

I used to run a pair of 30 pounders on our previous Spree, now have dual 20 pounders on our current Coachmen, yet haven't ever come remotely close to ever being without propane. Used sequentially, I always have a full second tank on hand while the first is in use so why would I care how much propane "exactly" may be in the in-service tank? :h

Answer - I don't care. I installed that propane tank cover viewing port because I could, not because I had to. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
99% have auto switch over regulators, start with two full tanks, both open.

SoundGuy wrote:
Downside is that with both tanks open you can easily drain both and be left with nothing, especially when the tanks live under a cover that hides the auto changeover regulator's gauge. :M

rhagfo wrote:
Well I would figure how to put a sight window in the cover.

As I've recently done as one of my winter projects. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not much to "figure out" ... just cut a hole in the appropriate location and secure a piece of clear plastic over the hole = done. :B

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm scratching my head as to why using tanks sequentially helps out the OP to know the exact remaining level of propane they have available for camping before having to break camp or drive just the tow vehicle someplace to refill??

i.e. Suppose you what to boondock camp out in the middle of nowhere many miles from where propane is? Whether you have one, two or more tanks and no matter how they're hooked up you still might want to know absolutely how much propane you have left near the end so that you can plan the next long trip to refill - especially if you get hit unexpectedly with a run of cold weather out there boondocking.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

blt2ski
These fiberglass ones are not as used in RV's as much as the boating world. Boats do not have the same carry capacity as RV's etc. So Aluminum or fiberglass are used more. Along with in salt water conditions, the steel ones rust much quicker than on/in a land yacht.
If you race a sailboat as I do, you count how many lbs you can leave behind. so the lighter cylinders are worth it to a degree.
They do command a pretty penny tho.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wondered about these. They had some cool advantages, mainly the ability to check level, and being lightweight. However, I think the entire market for fiberglass composite cylinders was killed by the company that went under, as people thought all composite cylinders were flawed. Even with good ones like Viking, it may be tough to get them filled.

As for what I do, I have three. Two are on the RV with a changeover valve, one is kept filled/exchanged and ready to go. That way, when one goes empty, I just swap the filled one, then next time I hit a Lowe's or other store, I exchange it.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
We owned two of the banned fiberglass cylinders. The company was put out of business by the government as they had no quality control testing as required by law and when tested had a high failure rate. Anyone who had one lost their money because they can't be refilled and the company filed bankruptcy.

I also had two of the Lite Cylinders. Bought whwen they first came out about 12 years ago. One of the cases broke and they sent me two new ones a few years ago. Everyone kept filling them until last year. They went broke because they couldn't afford a recall after a couple failed.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Or Heinz ketchup !

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
.... I run the tanks sequentially - open one and use it 'til it's empty, then manually switch over to the second full tank. At some point later, at my convenience I'll get that empty tank refilled, then repeat the cycle once the second tank itself has emptied. This way I truly don't care about monitoring tank levels.

X2, same as Mayo, one in fridge, one in pantry. When one is emptied, use the other, and put it on the list for grocery shopping! Never be without! :B
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Downside is that with both tanks open you can easily drain both and be left with nothing, especially when the tanks live under a cover that hides the auto changeover regulator's gauge. :M Ergo, the reason I run the tanks sequentially - open one and use it 'til it's empty, then manually switch over to the second full tank. At some point later, at my convenience I'll get that empty tank refilled, then repeat the cycle once the second tank itself has emptied. This way I truly don't care about monitoring tank levels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Been fulltiming now for about 4 yrs and this is exactly what I have done since day 1.

I have found that in most things the simplest and most fool-proof way is usually best.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Downside is that with both tanks open you can easily drain both and be left with nothing, especially when the tanks live under a cover that hides the auto changeover regulator's gauge. :M Ergo, the reason I run the tanks sequentially - open one and use it 'til it's empty, then manually switch over to the second full tank. At some point later, at my convenience I'll get that empty tank refilled, then repeat the cycle once the second tank itself has emptied. This way I truly don't care about monitoring tank levels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I would figure how to put a sight window in the cover. Personally we have a 5er, and simply need to open the door on the propane compartment door, takes about maybe 2 seconds to check.
In addition you should have a good idea on how much you use in different whether. That and I always refill the partial tank when we return from a trip.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a couple pics. I like them for their light weight, and I bought them back when they were sold by Ragasco (eventually bought out by Viking) and they were only $120 at that time.

https://postimg.org/image/yuow6d4lh/
https://postimg.org/image/9d6hmrmv9/

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote: