cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where can I buy fine-threaded carriage bolts and lug nuts?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago I bought a set of five new wheels and tires for my TT at a national tire dealer. Recently when I tried to remove the spare from my bumper mounted carrier manufactured by Stromberg Carlson, I found that the bolts and lug nuts were severely cross-threaded. I can't seem to find replacements anywhere; I've tried RV parts distributers, Fastenal, eTrailer, etc. Those of you with this setup know that it's important to have the lug nut so that it mates correctly into the lug hole on the wheel, holding it solidly in place. And that's why you need the fine-thread carriage bolt to match. Also, there's the convenience of using the same size lug wrench on the spare as on the running wheels. Has anyone ever had any luck finding these parts?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
13 REPLIES 13

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just use an sae hex bolt and stick in the hole and put on a half or jam nut. Cinch it down and put on your wheel and lug nut.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:
A few months ago I bought a set of five new wheels and tires for my TT at a national tire dealer. Recently when I tried to remove the spare from my bumper mounted carrier manufactured by Stromberg Carlson, I found that the bolts and lug nuts were severely cross-threaded. I can't seem to find replacements anywhere; I've tried RV parts distributers, Fastenal, eTrailer, etc. Those of you with this setup know that it's important to have the lug nut so that it mates correctly into the lug hole on the wheel, holding it solidly in place. And that's why you need the fine-thread carriage bolt to match. Also, there's the convenience of using the same size lug wrench on the spare as on the running wheels. Has anyone ever had any luck finding these parts?

Per Machinery's Hand Book. Carriage bolts are only available in the Course thread series, class 2A. What you want is studs and the properly sized lug nuts to fit the threads on the studs. This stuff is readily available at most auto parts stores. NAPA for sure. Yours are probably welded to the mount. If so, they will need to be cut out or drilled out and the new studs welded in place. They may be just a press fit into the mount which would make replacement simpler. Press out the bad (old) press in the new. Many auto parts stores are equipped in their machine shops in the back of the store to do replacements such as this.
jwmII

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want a bolt with the same threads as the lug nut, it will be either a SAE standard bolt or a metric standard, and will most likely be a medium to fine pitch. e.g. 7/16-20 (UNF), 1.25 mm pitch for metric 10mm or smaller, 1.5 mm pitch for larger 12mm or 14mm stud sizes.

Automobile studs and lug nuts have been metric for a long time, what is on a trailer will depend on where the manufacturer sources the parts.

Carriage bolts are a different kind of fastener, made for a different purpose, with sizes and thread pitch from a different era. For each of the ten sizes of carriage bolt, there is usually only one pitch, UNC standards.

I usually find the nuts and bolts I need at a farm supply store, as they tend to have lower prices than the auto parts places or the big box lumber and hardware chain stores, which might require me to buy a half dozen pieces when I need just one.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Your sig line says 2014 Arctic Fox, that's pretty new. What was wrong with tires that you needed to replaced or just getting rid of OEM junk?

Nothing wrong with them, I just don't trust ST tires, not the least reason being their speed limit rating of 65 mph. I made a 12,000 mile round round trip to Alaska and back earlier this summer and I wanted Michelin XPS Rib tires, the only ones I have 100% confidence in. Anyway, back to my problem... Upon rethinking it, thanks to you guy's help, the thread pattern is not an issue. What I really need is just a 13/16" lug nut with a matching carriage bolt and speed nut. Maybe that combination would be easier to find.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

path1
Explorer
Explorer
So do you want to replace the bolt on tire carrier because it's cross threaded to bad to save, or looking for new lug nut?

I would do 2 things just to make sure you end up with right lug.

Because of your year model was around the time AL-KO got bought out by Dexter, if I recall right. Crawl underneath and look at axle sticker to get model and manufacture and also take one lug nut off from a tire. Take lug nut and model of axle to a place that deals in axles to match up to make sure.

I mention that because when I re-did my bearings on a 2013 I found out I had one castle nut that shouldn't of been used. The slots at top actually went the wrong way. Had a heck of time getting in carter pin.

My thoughts are AL-KO was using parts that were in the reject pile that they were trying to get rid of before Dexter by out.

Your sig line says 2014 Arctic Fox, that's pretty new. What was wrong with tires that you needed to replaced or just getting rid of OEM junk?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your setup and time a thread chaser, just cut new threads might be the answer. Then just a couple new lug nuts.

LEN

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:
Those of you with this setup know that it's important to have the lug nut so that it mates correctly into the lug hole on the wheel, holding it solidly in place. And that's why you need the fine-thread carriage bolt to match.

I don't believe they make a fine thread carriage bolt. I looked in McMaster-Carr and if they don't have it nobody else does.
You need to use a regular bolt and two nuts. One to hold the bolt in place and one to hold the wheel.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
PEPBOYS has a large source selection of Automotive Bolts...

I will usually check with NAPA and PEPBOYS when I need something.

Also AMAZON most likely carries what you need too but I always have the problem of what to call them to search in AMAZON...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find a fastener store.. I usually shop Tradsman Fasteners in Redfored, MI. but there are competing stores in every major metro area..

(A friend of mine used to work there before we celebrated his funeral) (That store always has a few screws loose and lying about.. but then that's their business selling screws, bolts, loose nuts (and boxed ones) Drills, Wrenches and related devices)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the same bolts as the wheels do. I would think that any auto parts store would have them. I know that is where I get mine when needed. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I dont see it? Most tire racks use a basic stud, bolt or other sort of fastener. If you want to keep the nut the same size, thats a good idea. But all you need to do is buy a standard course thread hex nut in the same size, ie, 3/4,9/16 etc as your lug nuts, then get the corosponding bolt size and go. Many bolts are cross drilled for a lock, so keep that in mind too.

X2. You don't have to have fine threads.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont see it? Most tire racks use a basic stud, bolt or other sort of fastener. If you want to keep the nut the same size, thats a good idea. But all you need to do is buy a standard course thread hex nut in the same size, ie, 3/4,9/16 etc as your lug nuts, then get the corosponding bolt size and go. Many bolts are cross drilled for a lock, so keep that in mind too.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
have you tried Napa or a tire place