cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why a pet charge ??

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
We have been traveling all over the west coast and have been charged from $5.00 to $10.00 per night "pet charge".
For the life of me I cannot figure our what the charge is for other than filling the owners pockets.
My lazy old black Lab doesn't use the pool or the rec room (if they have them) and carries his poop bag container on his leash. Other than matting the grass when he sleeps, he doesn't harm or utilize any of the offered "amenities".
My neighbor at one park was charged for his Parrot ??
Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation for the charge?
I'm glad I don't have an aquarium with 30 fish.....
87 REPLIES 87

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipnchar wrote:
Someone has to pay for insurance and to clean up after pets when owners won't do it. Also just enforcing pet rules is an expense for park owners. Sounds reasonable to me for keeping parks open to pets.
Amen to that
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
well if my holly and molly were still around in all there years never were they a bother to anyone. they were not barkers even when molly needed to go out she had this little woof, and she was a 95 pound rott.
both of them loved kids, others very frendly to people and dogs. and just laying there kept the unwanted away.
for some reason people were scared of them.

so to me if a park wants to charge me for my family they should also charge for childeren as the kids cause more trouble and damage then my girls ever did.

and i never saw a park ranger or camp ground host cleaning up. (after a dog-cat-etc). so NO added expense/ time thing for them.

never saw a camper cleaning up after there kids tore up something. paid for a new table / bench / etc.

so i vote with my pocket and camp in the less travled places.
sure no fees, but also no piped in water. power, (only what i bring).
but also no nosiy (clame you choise of noise) campers with in 1 mile of my camp.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Or maybe the guy was a moron. I had people in the motel that tried to flush a cloth diaper down the toilet.

I'm thinking you did not post a 'no children allowed' sign ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously tho' those poopy diapers sure show up in lots of places at campgrounds we have been to. Bathroom floors, open garbage cans w/ flies, the beach, the pool, and various places where the toddlers played.

I don't make anything of it, unless the parents criticize others' pets.

Poop happens. (and preferably on a regular basis ๐Ÿ™‚ )
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or maybe the guy was a moron. I had people in the motel that tried to flush a cloth diaper down the toilet.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
burlmart wrote:
Maybe the guy was reacting to somthing about your business or possibly the owner?
That was rude.

OP is long gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
AprilWhine wrote:
rvten wrote:
The few parks we stopped at. That charge for pets. Were only for dogs. Which I felt was not right.
Cats should have been included also. I see no reason to charge for birds and other little creatures that do not roam outside.

How does my indoor cat affect anyone else in the park? :? It's not like anyone else is going to come into my coach and clean the cat box.
I've posted this before. The absolute biggest expense I ever had with a pet was when some idiot dumped the entire contents of a litter box down the sewer connection. I had to shut down the entire line for a day. Rent an excavator and dig up and replace the pipes. Easily a couple of thousand dollars because of a cat. So yes, an idiot combined with a cat can cost the park a bunch.

Maybe the guy was reacting to somthing about your business or possibly the owner?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
rvten wrote:
The few parks we stopped at. That charge for pets. Were only for dogs. Which I felt was not right.
Cats should have been included also. I see no reason to charge for birds and other little creatures that do not roam outside.

How does my indoor cat affect anyone else in the park? :? It's not like anyone else is going to come into my coach and clean the cat box.
I've posted this before. The absolute biggest expense I ever had with a pet was when some idiot dumped the entire contents of a litter box down the sewer connection. I had to shut down the entire line for a day. Rent an excavator and dig up and replace the pipes. Easily a couple of thousand dollars because of a cat. So yes, an idiot combined with a cat can cost the park a bunch.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're paying for a service you have the right to act anyway you want, or "I'll take my money somewhere else".

"It's all about me"
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
We are paying for the privilege of being guests on someone's property (and other services they are willing to provide to us). Try acting like you would want guests to act on your property.

This made me laugh.

I think I'll start charging my friends for the privilege of coming over to my house. Actually, I think I'll charge them 50 cents if they use the bathroom. Another 50 cents if they want to wash their hands afterwards, 1 dollar if they don't. Offer them a drink, another 50 cents. Serve dinner, another 50 cents. I'll also tell them I expect them to wash their own dishes...I wonder how long I'll keep my friends...

The campground is providing a service, and if they want to stay in business, they better do it well, or we as the consumer will find another place to provide the service we pay for...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Society has shifted towards a "me first" attitude and there are many who think they do not need to follow rules or common courtesy. Some of these people are pet owners and they will not pick up after their pets. They figure, I paid my fee why should I have to work while I'm here. As more of them are seen not picking up more people will decide: if they don't I don't need to either.

CG owners (trying to make a living for themselves and pay their employees) have few good options to deal with the mess left by the self-entitled:

live with the mess and listen to campers complaining about the mess left in "their" CG site (as if they now own the site)
eat the costs of cleaning up (or raise fees on all)
ban or limit pets and eat the costs of cleaning the reduced mess (or raise fees on all)
charge for all pets to cover the costs for the clean-up left by some pet owners
pay employees to police & fine (or eject) eating the costs (or raising fees on all)
reward other campers to act as police (campground nazis) and fine (or eject) the turned in rule breakers

As consumers we have the choice to patronize those CGs that have chosen our preferred means to deal with those not willing to pick-up after their pets.

We are paying for the privilege of being guests on someone's property (and other services they are willing to provide to us). Try acting like you would want guests to act on your property.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Its really about discouraging pets. They can't refuse to take them, so they put a cost attached to it instead.

yes they can refuse like any other business,,, unless its a working pet (guide dog )
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
Question for pet owners--What do you do with your pets if you are visiting attractions?
I was just on a 15 week trip around the country. Most, if not all, NPs don't allow pets on any trail or in any building. Unless you just stop at sights that you can drive up to and drive on, the pet has to be somewhere safe. Leaving it in a car is not safe. Leaving it in your RV all day with the AC running costs someone money. Why should the park owner subsidize this? AC is not cheap. I would not have minded having a small pet with me but I realized that there was no proper way to care for it while I was out doing things.

This is why we have a small MH and no toad. Dogs are always w/ us except maybe a couple hrs (max) when we do a restaurant or some other indoor attraction. If it is hot outside, the genset runs the A/C (not very feasible w/ tow vehicle or toad).

We pay taxes for a lot of things we cannot or need not use, like those NPs you mention.

As noted for pets being left behind at a cg, some others gave the 411 on elec that is already paid for, but I could never leave pets at the cg for long, or day trip big miles away in case the tow vehicle or toad breaks down.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really believe it's the same reason we have additional fees for checked baggage, seat assignments on airplanes and there is a delivery charge for delivery food, especially PIZZA and they lie about it not being a tip for the driver who should be getting it anyway and they paid for their own gas when there was not a delivery charge and that was absorbed in their tips for YEARS.

Don't get me started on all the food products that are now just slightly smaller for the same price as before.

Welcome to the NEW ADD ON SOCIETY and the SLIGHT OF HAND GAME.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
When going to some attractions. We try to find a kennel or doggie day care.
Maybe even leave them over night at times.
You can not always trust the electric power in some RV/CG's at times.
One place in CA, there was a doggie baby sitter. She would walk them during the day. Also feed them if we were going to be late returning.

The Rv park did not charge for pets.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+