cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your RV garage - is it built or you plan to build one soon?

UltravanOwners
Explorer
Explorer
Your RV Garage:

Are you going to build one soon?

Have you already built one?

Please share your ideas and pictures.

Thank you, Tony
31 REPLIES 31

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I am building a house with an RV garage. I would recommend that the door be at least 14 feet wide and 14 feet tall. The garage is wide enough to put out the slides. It has full 50 amp hookups. It is 55 feet long which gives us room in the back for a workshop area. We made sure the angle from the road was small enough so we did not have any issues. Most RVs have small approach and departure angles. We have a Class A and got the angles and made sure we were well below those angles. We also got thicker concrete in the RV garage and the driveway and added rebar. We got an insulated door and insulated the walls and ceiling.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
Solidaxledurango.......nice shop! Like the ranch style construction!

๐Ÿ™‚ thanks. My RV is enjoying being out of the snow tonight.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

UltravanOwners
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on another RV site and while posting in someone's thread about them building a garage soon; I had found a picture of a metal Gambrel barn that looked easy to put up.

LSS (Long Story Short)

I found the manufacturer and called them about 10 minutes ago.
The guy I spoke with was named Patrick and was very helpful..

I thouhgt I share their site for those who might be looking for options when it comes to building a garage/storage for their toys.

Here is a link to their Gambrel Metal barns. However you can use links to the left to see everything they offer.
http://www.waldropmetalbuildings.com/gambrel_barns.php

NOTE: The picture shows Horizontal Roofing and Siding
I got a quote for what they call a CARPORT Design with Vertical Roof - NO Siding or end caps.

Today's Quote for a CARPORT Design was $9,080
And a Quote for a Full Gambrel Barn kit with Vertical roofing and siding was $32,000. (Keep in mind the FULL kit comes with every - LESS doors and windows) You provide the foundation.

Here is a picture of the one I called about and the quote I got today.

Inside view

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Solidaxledurango.......nice shop! Like the ranch style construction!

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is similar to SWD's. We designed it to be a working shop for DS, too. It has two 14x14 doors, concrete floors, heat, bathroom with shower, lockable tool crib and a storage loft above the bath and crib.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
I would also like to pour a slab and build or have built a structure such as Phil and Stephie have for the outside location.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our home out in the country after my AF retirement, I was able a few years later to buy a large hay barn that was part of the original property. The barn is round, 40X by 60X and about 30' in the center. Attached is another area enclosed on two sides that is big enough to put an RV in. I had a 10X60 concrete base poured (in retrospect, I should have made it at least 12' wide). Currently, I have 30A power both inside the barn and in the outside area as well. Water is available not far away, maybe 30' from a faucet. At 60' long, I have plenty of room for my 39' pusher and enough room left to put my TOAD in our of the weather. There is still tons of room on either side for other "stuff."
I also have a complete 50a/water/dump uncovered site closer to the house.
Fortunate to have acquired that barn - cost $5,000.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
Carport is 18' X 45' on 12' legs, 50 amp service. Wasn't possible to add a sewer dump. Still need to add some lighting, but that might come this year. Left sides open to allow for airflow, avoid buildup of blowing leaves, trash, etc.

[img][/img]

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
40'x50'.... Insulated.... Two 14' high doors - drive through....

16'x8' high 2-car door on one side...

Has 200 amp service; it's own meter separate from house.

Pics above are from right after construction was finished. I'm not even sure the roll-up doors were installed when the pics where taken.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wanted to build my dream garage for years so I could stop renting one. I decided to build next to my existing 3 car garage so I cleared the spot, laid out the foundation and had materiel delivered from the lumber company just down the street. I built it 45' long, 30' wide and 14' tall. Insulated 14' tall electric double door with a single walk in door. No windows but did install heating. Sprayed insulation on walls and cellulose insulated metal ceiling, finished exterior in white vinyl with guttering. Installed six huge light banks that hold 6 lamps each and a plug for charging the house batts with conventional outlets every 12'. Standard pitch 30yr shingle roof. Built a workbench across the back of the structure along with a storage space for my collection of golf equipment. I keep the MH, my restored Thunderbird and my Corvette inside with my golf cart and a train table for me and the grandson. My lot lies at an angle that made it necessary for me to add a little extra concrete to decrease the existing incline so the AC on top of the MH would clear the large door unlike that poor poster who failed to notice. It also came in handy this week during a severe cold spell as a pet refuge for our cats. It's my intention to install a golf simulator so I can play golf indoors during the winter but that's down the road.

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor.........dont see any pics.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my dream RV garage I had built JUST for the MH.
Designed it, contracted it out to build it.

Had them measure and re measure my MH and stayed on top
of them about making the door tall enough to easily get
the MH in and out.
http://i40.tinypic.com/.jpg

See how pretty it is, AND see the concrete ribbon they
put down in front of the door?...............
They failed to figure in the incline of the concrete ribbon.

My MH NEVER saw the warm confines of the inside of the new RV garage because the incline of the concrete ribbon prevented her from fitting under the door. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Just an FYI about building an RV garage....don't forget to figure in any type of incline on the way in. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how to post a picture.

Ours is 44 ft long, 18 wide and 16 foot tall, we have a 16 ft tall door. Attached is a 44 long by 30 ft wide and has 3 doors, most of it
is insulated. It was just finished in the fall we need to have it wired yet. It has dormers on it and was built by the amish Graber Post Buildings. It has concrete floors.

UltravanOwners
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jim,
Sounds like a good buy and a great place!

Tony