Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog breed descrimination - showing up late un-announced

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to all,

We've been camping with our German Shepherd dog for over 30 years (of course different shepherds along the way and always one at a time). We had always stayed in public / state parks in the past so we were not aware of the breed descrimination issues until we boutht a 34' TT last summer with the hope of doing some extended stay trips during semi-retirement.

We're scheduled to get on the road within the next few weeks and I've worked out some good routes and stops using the many mobil apps and internet, but in the process we've had quite a few CGs tell us that we can't stay with our shepherd. We're speaking mostly of FL for now. I've also heard that in many cases the breed restrictions aren't always inforced, but we haven't tested anyone or any CG on this.

So my question is if we're on a trip and can't make it that day to our planned CG that has accepted our dog in advance, and we pop in un-announced at a CG that has an anti-Shepherd policy (in late afternoon / evening), has anyone seen any of these restrictive CGs allow one of the banned breeds for just a one night overnight stay? We haven't tried this yet but we've been told that it does work in some cases.

Many thanks in advance for your experiences about this.
Marty
94 REPLIES 94

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
The CGC certainly should carry a LOT more weight than a therapy dog vest that can be purchased for a few bucks. Unfortunately, I think few people outside of the dog world have any idea of what it is and what's involved in earning it.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I'm just wondering here, but if your dog has a "Good Canine Citizen" certificate, I wonder if they'd change their mind?
It would have an effect exactly like the effect buying a
"Therapy Dog" vest off the internet would have, none.
Exactly.

Well, that's a standardized (and fairly rigorous) temperment test - but if nobody knows what it means, it's a moot point I guess.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I'm just wondering here, but if your dog has a "Good Canine Citizen" certificate, I wonder if they'd change their mind?
It would have an effect exactly like the effect buying a
"Therapy Dog" vest off the internet would have, none.
Exactly.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go. Let's see if this works...

This is Gemma, she's a mix. Can you guess what breeds? We deal with breed discrimination sometimes. She's never showed aggression ever. She's had dogs go after her, and even then she didn't fight back, she just cowered. She mostly sleeps all day.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to post a picture of my dog to see what breeds people thought she was, but it didn't work. The picture is on my facebook account. I guess it can't pull it off of facebook. 😕

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
4X4Dodger wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I think you missed the point.

If the dog is a rescued mix, then ANY identification of its "breed" is a visual guess - whether done by a vet, rescuer, owner, or city official. It means absolutely nothing in regards to the dog being dangerous or not.

No I did NOT miss the point. My point is the breed of the dog is what the VET says it is despite what a campground owner or other person thinks it is.

I was addressing a way for those with mixed breeds to solve the problem of having a dog that can be mistaken for something it's not. Which was mentioned in several posts.

Except that a vet is not going to have any more "ability" to identify a mixed breed's makeup than anyone else out there.

So, again, THIS IS WHY BREED BANS DON'T WORK. Because no matter who identifies the "breeds" of a mix, it is based solely on the appearance of the dog and has no basis in fact. A dog may have the appearance of being X when in reality it is Y, B, F, L, P, and Q.

In addition, most vets are willing to write whatever an owner identifies for the dog's breeds. So, if I have a mean aggressive dog, I can simply tell my vet that the dog is a "golden/bassett" and I can bring him anywhere - however that really nice dog with the owner who identified by appearance gets banned.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I think you missed the point.

If the dog is a rescued mix, then ANY identification of its "breed" is a visual guess - whether done by a vet, rescuer, owner, or city official. It means absolutely nothing in regards to the dog being dangerous or not.

No I did NOT miss the point. My point is the breed of the dog is what the VET says it is despite what a campground owner or other person thinks it is.

I was addressing a way for those with mixed breeds to solve the problem of having a dog that can be mistaken for something it's not. Which was mentioned in several posts.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sarcasm

Dagnabit! Foiled again! Thought that was an odd response from you. There's a trend of using /s to denote sarcasm. It's used to blockheads like me get it! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
That's the problem with basing behavior on everything but the individual - whether kid or dog. Too many exceptions.

Applies to us humans as well!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
corgi-traveler wrote:
Crazy sheep? You don't happen to have Kathadins, do you? 😉
Yep, but their crazy reputation is half management and half genetic.

There is a field trial in VA that has a commercial flock of about 300 katahdins which are really nice to work.

Then there are trials with small training flocks of katahdins that a little "sour".

If you want to see crazy sheep try working Cheviots or Barbados.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
Sarcasm
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a better way to test a dog's tendencies than by breed assessment.

But what happens if the dog spooks and bites? There isn't ANYONE here who can unequivocally say their dog won't bite. Even if the dog accidentally nips because they misjudge distance it can mean being denied admittance or worse.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
Swampman597 wrote:
I've always suspected the people doing the check-ins, especially the state CGs, that when they offer your dog(s) a treat, its just an unofficial test of the dog's friendliness. ...

Probably a better way to test a dog's tendencies than by breed assessment.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
I've always suspected the people doing the check-ins, especially the state CGs, that when they offer your dog(s) a treat, its just an unofficial test of the dog's friendliness. Fortunately for us, our dogs are always hungry and we've never had any problems. Other than the time in Amarillo when our Yellow Lab jumped into the golf cart to ride around with the CG manager.

From what we've seen, the dogs get along much better than the people do but, isn't that life.
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's the problem with basing behavior on everything but the individual - whether kid or dog. Too many exceptions.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)