cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v marine/deep cycle batteries

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.
Which would be your choice between the Interstate SRM-29 and the WalMart Everstart Maxx 29DC? I can get the Interstates for $119 and the Everstarts for $99. They both weigh 61 lbs. I found the specs on the Interstate and its 1 year warranty but can't find anything on the Everstarts?
I am buying two to go along with my two 100w solar panels and Phocos controller for short boondocking trips in AZ with plenty of sunshine.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
57 REPLIES 57

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently if you ask about 12v battery A vs. 12v battery B, and state that you don't want 6v batteries, you get told anyway to buy 6 volt batteries.

LOL!
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Interstate and Everstart (WalMart), Ok, My first PUP had a new (within a year old) group 31 Interstate, lasted three years,sort of, I would bring it in the garage during winter and trickle charge it, after the second year it would not survive a four day trip, Third year we camped during fall and had to use the heater, used Genny to charge it up and it was dead by morning, Took it in and Interstate did nothing towards warranty.
Purchased an Everstart at a local WM, group 31, Three years later I sold the PUP and that battery was solid and lasted strong for a four day camp trip with minimal genny charging.

My Bass boat, Bought it had a newish (within a year old) Interstate deep marine group 31, Had a built in trickle charger and I plugged it in when parked at home. 2+ years old and it just flat died on the lake, I was using my fish finder and trolling motor, morning voltage was perfect 13.5, as the day went by it held strong at 12.5, then I was trolling slowly into a good spot and the low voltage warning sounded and it just died,, went down to 10.5 volts.
Interstate would not warranty.

Bought an everstart group 31 Marine deep cycle and it is still going strong five years later..

Current trailer,,, came with two intersate group 27 deep cycle, Lasted just over three years and one completely shorted out in the middle of the night.
Drove 60 miles to the only bog box store (Yep WM) and purchased a group 27 Everstart, They lasted 3 years until I went with solar and two 6V Costco golf cart batteries, The lasting interstate is still my back up boat battery and I sold the Everstart 27 for $25 to a neighbor who's trailer battery died!

So,, Everstart has gotten out of a jamb and Interstate left me hanging,, Now my vehicles.... Always replaced with next size larger Optima and have not had an issue yet!!

Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
I know they are not true deep cycle and I have no intention of going to 6 volt batteries.
Which would be your choice between the Interstate SRM-29 and the WalMart Everstart Maxx 29DC? I can get the Interstates for $119 and the Everstarts for $99. They both weigh 61 lbs. I found the specs on the Interstate and its 1 year warranty but can't find anything on the Everstarts?
I am buying two to go along with my two 100w solar panels and Phocos controller for short boondocking trips in AZ with plenty of sunshine.

Their nickname is Neverstart.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
If you're worried about a failure with 2 6v batteries you can always hook up via booster cables to your your truck to get you through a 'short' boondocking trip, power slides/jacks, etc. Otherwise, if you're going to spend the money the 6v are much better value for the dollar and will give you more usable Ah. Kind of a no-brainer.

For the 12v, same weight, I'd go with the cheapest from walmart knowing they'll warranty it in the event of failure.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
If you go back to my first post, I specifically asked about two 12v batteries. This is not and will not become a debate on 6v versus 12v. Thank you to those who have helped answer my question.

The answer to your question, then, is neither.

Neither is a good choice for a deep cycle battery for dry camping. Not when there are much better options that yield more amp hours, more cycles for longer, that are "true" deep cycle batteries. You don't seem to comprehend when you are being lied to about what a "deep cycle" battery truly is, by marketing geniuses that want to fleece you.

Most of us can't make it any clearer than that, your choices are poor for your stated goals. I don't mince words and I won't sugar coat what is fact.

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
If you go back to my first post, I specifically asked about two 12v batteries. This is not and will not become a debate on 6v versus 12v. Thank you to those who have helped answer my question.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Why bother asking for dry camping battery advice when your mind is already closed to the experiences of veterans who know what would work best for you? :h :S

Well stated...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

BCRacing24
Explorer
Explorer
The Interstate marine batteries are probably the best 12v dual purpose batteries to be had from my extensive research. The SRM-29 is 115 a/hr @ the 20 hour rate. Two would give you 230a/hr which is plenty for the occasional boondocker with 200w of solar. Jeff Barron is an Interstate engineer I spoke with, he suggested starting at 14.4v absorption, 13.4v float & 15.2v equalization. If the specific gravity is 1.275 or greater, leave it there. If under that, bump up the absorption to 14.6v. Unfortunately we never got around to using the SRM-29's with solar, but the progressive dynamics PD4655 did keep them well & healthy for +3yrs, they never died nor gave problems. We're now going with a GoPower 160w kit & 2 6v Interstate GC2's. I have no doubt the SRM-29's will last another +2yrs in my fathers TT, although he doesn't boondock like us....... If I was to use the 29's again I'd consider the new Pro-29M. They have the cycling performance of an AGM.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/rv/rv-deep-cycle

http://interstatebatteries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Marine-RV_DeepCycleBooklet_PN200004_Printable.pdf

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
I checked Costco and the largest they had was a Group 27 Interstate.
6V batteries are not an option, don't have room on the tongue for 4 and I'm not going to rely on only 2. I will check the Trojan dealer to see what they have in 12v.
I will say the two Group 24 batteries I now have are going on 6 years old and still working fine. The first thing I did when I bought the toyhauler was ditch the old power converter and install a Progressive Dynamics system with the charge wizard. I learned that with my old 5th wheel after going through several batteries in a couple years.

Why do you have 2 100 watt solar panels, then? That is about perfectly balanced daily sun wise in AZ for a pair of 6 volt batteries. Set the charge controller up to 14.8V and let it shine, no worries.

Two 6 volt batteries will fit in the same foot print as two 12 volt batteries on the tongue. Or do like I did, get one AGM telecom battery used, you'll have to hunt it down, 12V 150 AH. True deep cycle, perfect for dry camping.

Why bother asking for dry camping battery advice when your mind is already closed to the experiences of veterans who know what would work best for you? :h :S

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
6+6=12...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Care, maintenance and use are more likely to determine battery longevity over brand or voltage.
JMHO

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said earlier, the marine batteries have performed well for me in the past once I had a decent charging system so I have no problem going that route again. I was just asking between the two I listed is one any better than another or is there something else in a 12v battery that isn't twice the price that you would recommend. I'm not debating 6v vs 12v or 2 batteries versus 4 etc. I see threads blasting Interstate quality and others on Everstarts, you also see those who have had good experiences with both. There is a guy here in Phoenix who sells Trojans and advertises like crazy so I will give him a call too.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The fear of one 6 volt dying and having an unworking electrical system is rather obvious.

But the likelyhood of a 12v marine battery failing unexpectedly is likely twice that that of a GC battery.

Trojan makes group24/27 and 31 sizes and they are rated at half the cycles of the slightly larger T-1275.

Any distributor will gladly sell you a marine battery, its better for their bottom line, now, and when the marine battery needs to be replaced that much sooner.

Its like if oil companies were able to make and sell cars that only got half the MPG and needed their oil changed every 1500 miles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZDesertRat wrote:
6V batteries are not an option, don't have room on the tongue for 4 and I'm not going to rely on only 2..
There's more to that statement I'm dying to hear.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I checked Costco and the largest they had was a Group 27 Interstate.
6V batteries are not an option, don't have room on the tongue for 4 and I'm not going to rely on only 2. I will check the Trojan dealer to see what they have in 12v.
I will say the two Group 24 batteries I now have are going on 6 years old and still working fine. The first thing I did when I bought the toyhauler was ditch the old power converter and install a Progressive Dynamics system with the charge wizard. I learned that with my old 5th wheel after going through several batteries in a couple years.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler