cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30-amp Power Inlet

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty tired of trying to push about 30 ft. of power cable back into a little hole in the side of my travel trailer after every use.

I want to convert it to a 30-amp twist-lock inlet... 30-amp only.

Any suggestions for a quality kit that will last, or the individual parts?

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
20 REPLIES 20

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the troublesome twist lock connection, hard wired the cord, installed a locking hatch large enough for my hand, and now there is no need to drag out any more cord than necessary. Never saw anyone do this, but it works great for me.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kit info.... I am ordering one.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand your motivation for this. Our 30A coils into a small compartment. Making 8" coils out of this heavy cable isn't much fun, but I know it's easier than poking it into a hole your hand won't fit into is even worse. That said:

Never seen a shore tie cable fail in the middle. At least one that hasn't been run over by a bulldozer, hit by a mower, etc.

No, all the problems happen at connections. Receptacles, Plugs with scorched contacts, screws holding wire in connectors, etc. So I'm actually glad to have only one end to be careful about. If you mount your own twist-lock like that Marinco, you'll probably do OK with it. Still, I had my own home made extension cord. My own RV shore tie plugged into it. Loud knocking on the coach. Outlet box was on fire! I did a temporary splice, then made it permanent at home. Connections crimped then soldered, padded out to cable diameter with tape then shrink wrapped. More cable to coil into that little compartment, but a JOY to have one less plug-in. Just sayin' and YMMV.
There's a BUT with built-in: If the splice between the flexible shore tie cable and the hard wire leading to the breaker box isn't very well done, it can burn out and go open. Happens regularly on 30A coaches when they run two electric space heaters.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Marinco Park Power Conversion Kit

Second this suggestion. Works great!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I'm pretty tired of trying to push about 30 ft. of power cable back into a little hole in the side of my travel trailer after every use.

I want to convert it to a 30-amp twist-lock inlet... 30-amp only.

Me too. I was just thinking about that today.

SoundGuy wrote:

This is exactly what I added to my Amazon wish list earlier today! I will probably snag it soon.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380