cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boiling point of anti freeze

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
I flushed and refilled my trucks radiator today. I noted on the bottle that a 50/50 solution of antifreeze/water will result in a 256 degree boiling point. This piqued my curiosity so I did a little research. In reality 50/50 antifreeze only raises the boiling point by 8 degrees. The 15# cap on the radiator is what gets you to 256.
RVing since 1995.
24 REPLIES 24

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
I flushed and refilled my trucks radiator today. I noted on the bottle that a 50/50 solution of antifreeze/water will result in a 256 degree boiling point. This piqued my curiosity so I did a little research. In reality 50/50 antifreeze only raises the boiling point by 8 degrees. The 15# cap on the radiator is what gets you to 256.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this is how it works:

Water boils at 212 degrees.

A 15lb. pressure cap increases this to 3 degrees per pound. = 45 degrees.

Now you are up to 257 degrees.

With all of the above and a 50/50 mixture of coolant, you can add another 30 degrees. This gives you a grand total of 287 degrees before puking into the street.

This information was from a General Motors school while explaining that GM's idiot light comes on at 261 degrees. And if this vehicle only has water and a 15 lb. cap, (no coolant) it can boil over and the idiot light will never come on.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Better than 50/50 is 60/40 antifreeze/H2O, higher boiling point and lower freezing point.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And there is nothing better than an original equipment brand radiator cap (and thermostat). My Kubota has 80% DOW anti-freeze plus Nalco cooling system treatment. The remaining 20% is distilled water hauled down from the states.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
At 10,000 feet that temperature drops to about 237 degrees f.

Do tell????

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of newer cars have higher pressure systems, 18-20 psi.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know - I think Iโ€™ll get a new cap tomorrow. Iโ€™ve never changed mine, 10 yo truck!

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very good observation. Now for the fun part. Radiator caps as they age, tend to loose their ability to hold pressure in a cooling system. Caps should be replaced every couple years. Most people never do however. Mine goes in the trash every 2 years. That is especially important with a diesel motor as loss of pressurization of coolant can result in hot spots on the cylinder liners and big mechanical repairs.

All for a 6 buck part.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
At 10,000 feet that temperature drops to about 237 degrees f.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, the pressurization is absolutely critical.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Especially when I'm watching my coolant temp underway.
Thanks.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)