cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cannot get lower channel TV reception

winnehonda
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2015 Class C with Samsung TV and antenna booster. When I search for channels over air I can only lock in upper UHF channels. No 2-13 channels. I called Samsung and they got terribly confused about the antenna booster. When connected to cable I can receive all available channels. Any thoughts?
Mark Hanlon
35 REPLIES 35

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few stations that remained in the VHF range - there are two here in MD. (And they ate both in our only "big" city - Baltimore.

Far and away, most all channels are broadcasting in the UHF range.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
There is NO MORE LOW BAND TV signals from 0-13. ....
Lookup WLBZ in Bangor Maine, it transmitts on RF channel 2 and displays as 2.1.

After that, lookup WVII in Bangor Maine. WVII transmitts on RF channel 7 and displays as 7.1. WFVX is a sister station on the same frequency and displays as 7.2.

Continuing, lookup WMEB which is part of MPBN (Maine Public Broadcasting Network). That one transmitts on RF channel 9 and displays as 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 and 12.4.

Sadly, when I am in the Bar Harbor area I usually can't get WLBZ (NBC affiliate) because my Batwing just doesn't do well at the bottom of the VHF band. I do get all the others.

We all thought the digital transition was going to put all the channels in the UHF band.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
FCC Post Transition Channel Allocations

Start on Page 67
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I speak of Carrier and display channels

Carrier channls are 2-69 The same as thy always have been
2,3,4,5 and 6 are VHF low, 7-13 VHF high and 14 up UHF

I have seen (in my travels) stations on 7, 12, 13 and some other VHF HI

I think I have seen one as low as 3 but could not testify to it.

But Many in the VHF-HI

Of course the station on channel 7 displays as 12 12 and 13 really were (12 and 13) the others I do not park in the area enough to be sure.

PLUS channels 3 and 4 (3.0 and 4.0, the ZERO meaning analog) are still used by some video hardware (VCR, and DVD Modulators as well as sat receivers).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't sound to me like a reception problem, it sounds like a TV setup problem. A lot of TVs will still let you scan for analog channels, and you will not get any, most places (I believe there are still a few low power translators out there).
Answer- set the TV to ignore analog.
Any digital channels will be "dot" channels- locally we get 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4,6.1,6.2.... If I try to tune my TV to 2, nothing comes in.2.1 works fine.
-- Chris Bryant

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Funny... I just posted all about antennas and channels in the Technology Section.

We have HD channels 8, 10 and 12 on high-band VHF in our area.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Its pretty well known and documented that the Jack is a poor performer on VHF, and drops significantly as you drop from ch.13
Jeff - WA6EQU

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
What antenna do you have? the Winegard Batwing is a VHF/VHF/UHF antenna.

The Jack is not

My Jack picks up channel 13 just fine, but in general, you are probably correct.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
RoyB is 100% correct.

No, there are still, unfortunately, VHF channels being broadcast. Our channel 22 went from 22 to 13 during the change, making them one of the hardest to pull in and least reliable. And the lower the number of the real frequency, the worse the reception because most of today's "digital" antennas are UHF and optimized for real frequencies 14 and up. You need something VHF capable to get the lower frequencies if you have them in your area. AntennaWeb.org or TVFool will show you what is available in your area.
And here is a link comparing antennas and a section called Using UHF Antennas for VHF shows that most are not good for doing that.
Antenna Comparison
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What antenna do you have? the Winegard Batwing is a VHF/VHF/UHF antenna.

The Jack is not
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP: Do you KNOW that there are any VHF-Hi or VHF-Lo channels active in your area?

What antenna are you using? This is important because allot of these new antennas have little or no VHF performance whatsoever
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
RoyB is 100% correct.

The old network stations generally retained their VHF Channel designations after the change, but they are actually broadcast on UHF frequencies!

As an example, the "old" Channel Five Fox station here in DC still displays as Channel 5 Fox. However it is now broadcast at a UHF frequency associated with a UHF Channel number of 14 or higher.

I think when Roy said, "You will find them designated 2.1 3.1 etc but the new frequency band starts at the old VHF channel 14 and up." he actually meant "You will find them designated 2.1 3.1 etc but the new frequency band starts at the old UHF channel 14 and up."

Otherwise, perfect explanation.
Roy is wrong (and that doesn't happen much) and so are you.

There are TV transmitters all over the country on ALL channels all the way down to channel 2. These are not virtual channels, they are actual ATSC designations, look it up !

ADDITIONALLY, there is yet another TV repack coming and the FCC is buying out stations for hundreds of millions just to shut down and go away (off UHF). There is another option for those that are willing to vacate UHF and move to VHF will also be compensated to do so. So you'all that think there are no TV transmitters are completely misinformed.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Antennaweb.org

Tequesta FL........37 channels on 14 stations.
Lowest being 5.1 (which is RF channel 12)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB is 100% correct.

The old network stations generally retained their VHF Channel designations after the change, but they are actually broadcast on UHF frequencies!

As an example, the "old" Channel Five Fox station here in DC still displays as Channel 5 Fox. However it is now broadcast at a UHF frequency associated with a UHF Channel number of 14 or higher.

I think when Roy said, "You will find them designated 2.1 3.1 etc but the new frequency band starts at the old VHF channel 14 and up." he actually meant "You will find them designated 2.1 3.1 etc but the new frequency band starts at the old UHF channel 14 and up."

Otherwise, perfect explanation.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Roy?

Where did you come up with this "baloney" ?

The channels sold off covered channels 2 through 7. However; there are still stations allowed to transmit on these lower VHF frequencies. Ultimately the lowest RF frequency used should start at channel 8, but we all know how government works these days.

The OP never stated what brand of antenna he has. There either isn't any stations listing any channels in his antenna range, or the antenna has a break in a connection for it's largest element, or the TV has a faulty circuit used in the channel scan mode.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29