cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cannot get lower channel TV reception

winnehonda
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2015 Class C with Samsung TV and antenna booster. When I search for channels over air I can only lock in upper UHF channels. No 2-13 channels. I called Samsung and they got terribly confused about the antenna booster. When connected to cable I can receive all available channels. Any thoughts?
Mark Hanlon
35 REPLIES 35

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
winnehonda wrote:
In my area channel 5 (NBC) and channel 12 (CBS) are local. In prior motorhomes these stations were captured on Air-channel scan. They included 5.1, 5.2, etc. Just call me Still Stumped!
In the chart I posted, WPEC only lists the RF channel 13. I assumed that the RF and virtual channels were the same but it turns out that WPEC is virtual channel 12 and RF channel 13. Your TV only displays the virtual channel number.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

winnehonda
Explorer
Explorer
In my area channel 5 (NBC) and channel 12 (CBS) are local. In prior motorhomes these stations were captured on Air-channel scan. They included 5.1, 5.2, etc. Just call me Still Stumped!
Mark Hanlon

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a list of stations near Tequesta, FL where the OP lives:

Channels 5 and 13 are the only stations with channel numbers in the VHF range. Channel 5 is on RF channel 12 and channel 13 is RF channel 13.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still unclear as to whether the OP is not getting lower rf channels, as in VHF , or designated channels, which could be any rf channel.

Here, if I loose channel 6, it is broadcast on a UHF frequency.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thought.... I could well have started this thread at one point

I had a pan to use a diplexer to pass signals to both the BOMB (Box of many buttons) and an Digital adapter.. I could not get carrier channel 12

turns out the blang spliter blocked low frequencies on the power pass port.

Removed spliter and it worked... Great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Tom's got a very good point. Medium to strong UHF can creep through the amplifier without being powered On. Not so much VHF.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
winnehonda wrote:
Tom and others, thank you for your input. The thing tat is driving me crazy is one time I was able to capture these lower channel and the reception was great. Later, it was lost. I have tried every combination in trying to recapture these low channels. To no avail.
If your antenna is a Winegard Sensar or Jack, it needs 12 volts at the antenna head on the roof. Disconnect the coax from the antenna and measure the voltage between the outer part of the F-connector and the center conductor.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

winnehonda
Explorer
Explorer
Tom and others, thank you for your input. The thing tat is driving me crazy is one time I was able to capture these lower channel and the reception was great. Later, it was lost. I have tried every combination in trying to recapture these low channels. To no avail.
Mark Hanlon

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
winnehonda wrote:
Have a 2015 Class C with Samsung TV and antenna booster. When I search for channels over air I can only lock in upper UHF channels. No 2-13 channels. I called Samsung and they got terribly confused about the antenna booster. When connected to cable I can receive all available channels. Any thoughts?
I checked TVFool.com and there are two VHF stations close to you. WPTV and WPEC. You should point your antenna to 193ยฐ.

If you have a Winegard Sensar (Batwing) the arrow on the knob does NOT point toward the front of the antenna.

If you have a Jack antenna, the flat part of the antenna is the front.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RabbitEars.info lists 464 stations broadcasting on RF channels 2-13. Most are major network affiliates.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
At the beginning of the digital transition, TV stations were broadcasting both analog and digital signals. Since the VHF band was mostly filled up, that meant the digital had to be broadcast on the UHF band. Once the analog was shut down many stations moved their digital broadcast down to the VHF band. About 1/4 of the full power TV stations in the U.S. are broadcasting on VHF. The UHF band used to go to channel 69 but presently it ends at 51. I don't think the TV band will fill up any time soon. Digital broadcast actually freed up many channels. During the analog years you could not have adjacent channels in the same market. For instance, there could not be a channel 10 and channel 11. There had to be a gap between channels. With digital, adjacent channels are permitted.
Actually on UHF there were many as long as the analog was the lower of the two. Just happened to be how the channl cavities performed, its been a while.. We ran channel 34 Analog and 35 Digital for several years, and pretty sure there was a D36 to boot..
Jeff - WA6EQU

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Before scanning, turn off any and all LED lights. If I turn on just two LED lights, they will blow away channel 8.1, and I can see the tower. Higher channels seem to be affected somewhat less.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
At the beginning of the digital transition, TV stations were broadcasting both analog and digital signals. Since the VHF band was mostly filled up, that meant the digital had to be broadcast on the UHF band. Once the analog was shut down many stations moved their digital broadcast down to the VHF band. About 1/4 of the full power TV stations in the U.S. are broadcasting on VHF. The UHF band used to go to channel 69 but presently it ends at 51. I don't think the TV band will fill up any time soon. Digital broadcast actually freed up many channels. During the analog years you could not have adjacent channels in the same market. For instance, there could not be a channel 10 and channel 11. There had to be a gap between channels. With digital, adjacent channels are permitted.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Im not sure who thought all stations were going to UHF. Thats never been the case and frankly was impossible as there simply is not enough room in allot of markets.

Either way, VHF is about to fill up again
Jeff - WA6EQU