cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving black tank filled

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Im pretty religious about dumping my tanks after each outing but this last trip pulled a brain fart and forgot to dump and have put the trailer in storage. Contemplating whether I should pull it out and dump or just wait til next outing? Tank is only about 1/4-1/3 full and no sign of odors yet. Pull it out and dump or leave??
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
25 REPLIES 25

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I always dump mine before leaving the campground and take the time to flush it out. I've never had smells.

Over Memorial Day week-end I dumped Sunday night with the Blue Tote to avoid the dump station with the mass exodus on Monday. We continued using the toilet Sunday night and Monday and figured I'd dump once I got home.

Well, when we got home, we've slept in the camper almost every night since, including showers and using the toilet. I've not had to dump the black tank yet (not full).

Well ... !!!!

Yesterday when I went to use the toilet and pushed the peddle .... OH MY.... what a horrid smell radiated out of that little hole! OH MY!....

So, right then, I went ahead and got the Blue Tote out and dumped (I can dump the tote in my septic tank). So I also flushed the tanks real good again and put a cup of laundry soap down the hole. The next time I used the toilet and pushed that peddle .... no smells. Phew!

I learned my lesson.

There are those who say you can leave "stuff" in your black tank for days on end. Well, maybe you can. But I won't be doing it any more ... ever again! One nose full is enough for me!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Leave it
I don't know that there are any seals. It's just a sliding plastic blade that slides in and out of a plastic slot.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer occasionally gets used while stored for the winter in the backyard. The black tank has gone 5 or 6 months partially filled more than once with no ill effects. I also don't go out of my way to dump it if it's only partially full after a trip, because I can dump the gray water tank with a garden hose at home easily.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I would wonder about would be the seals on the tank valves, if they would be damaged with long exposer.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dunno, I would think that letting it stew would make it easier to dump and flush out. Gets all those bugs chompin' on the solids. I pump my septic tank at home at 2 year intervals, nothing bad seems to happen with that. Other than the smell from the vent pipe, I don't see what harm it can do. It's just a tank.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
put some RV-Digest it in the tank and then it will be liquid by the time you use it again
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would also say depends on how long. Over time heavy solids will settle to the bottom and may be harder to flush out.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bleach will kill the beneficial bacteria in a holding tank. Just leave it alone till next time, assuming there is plenty of water in the tank.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how long it will sit idle.

If it's more than a month, I'd take it out for a dump. The solids can clump together and make big floating island that would be hard to dump later.

And I would also give it an extra dose of "toilet chemical" or bleach and soap if you don't dump it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I empty mine every 2nd or 3rd outing, as a single guy, I don't generate much black water over a short weekend. The gray tank, that's usually after every 2nd, as I waste a lot of water washing hands and dishes.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed