cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Love them assemblers

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
When your black tank won't drain, this may be the problem.

RVing since 1995.
27 REPLIES 27

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin wrote:
Quote:
Of course the fitting hole is smaller than the cutout.
--------------------------------------------------------
How'd they do that ??

Pretty simple...

The hole through the fitting is smaller than the hole cut to install the fitting. Duh!
RVing since 1995.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Of course the fitting hole is smaller than the cutout.
--------------------------------------------------------
How'd they do that ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kinda difficult to do a post-build QC check on most things in an RV, without tearing the thing completely apart.

It's really a no-win situation for everyone involved. The manufacturer is trying to make a buck in this economy of razor-thin margins. People as a general rule go for the cheapest price, with no consideration of anything else such as quality. If Brand X sells an RV for $10 less than Brand Y, Brand X gets the sales even if theirs are garbage and Brand Y makes the best units on the market.

They gotta make volume to make any money. I wouldn't doubt but the workers are paid piecework wages, so the more units they complete, the more money they make. You wouldn't see an hourly worker running with a wall.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain, bought my trailer about a month ago and have found tons of little stuff, none too hard to fix though.

I guess they didnt feel like moving that bracket lol Well, I moved it

Entire back wall behind the kitchenette loose, found that not a single staple had actually made it into the wall support. Pulled the entire wall apart, glued and used my brad nailer...solid as a rock now.

Other issues:
Speakers dont work, found bad crimps and wires laying in ceiling.

Screen door doesnt latch, adjusted latch

Water pump laying on floor behind access panel with screws in it, not attached to bracket.

Rear wall trim falling off, glued and brads, good as new

Bad coax connections and front jack not working, let the dealer do that one.

A few other things but I must say, I love my trailer.

So who is to blame though? The assemblers? Is there a QC department who check units before they roll out?
The dealer? But they cant spend all their time fixing problems while in their lot?
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
That round piece was probably from a hole saw used to install a tank rinser.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Add one of my previous motor homes to that list! It was not that bad to remove and if not for the rv.net/forum I would have never thought to look for that disc as the problem!
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
The exact same thing happened to my Winnebago Class C. I had been experiencing difficulty draining my black tank then one day this piece just came out and all my drainage problems were solved.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
vic46 wrote:
I wonder how the vehicle made out that didn't get the screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
That was your vehicle!

Probably!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
vic46 wrote:
I wonder how the vehicle made out that didn't get the screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
That was your vehicle!

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Some things just never change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My folks bought a Chevrolet Kingswood wagon station back in I think 1959. It had a terrible rattle off the hop. The culpret was finally discovered. The spare tire fit in a compartment/well that was adjacent to the third row rear facing seat. Somebody pulled the spare and discovered several hand fulls of metal screws in the spare tire well. Real pain and difficult to find but, I wonder how the vehicle made out that didn't get the screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
bucky wrote:
And they brag about their Amish quality. I'm betting they don't use Amish workers in much of a percentage. Or maybe no percentage at all.

You need to tour the factories, I think you will be surprised to see how many are Amish. The idea of a particular religious being more quality oriented, is just hype.

I've toured the Lance Camper and Travel trailer factory. The employees in there don't warrant my confidence as a general contractor to pay the premium price Lance tries to charge for their travel trailers... the added value is not there... not when you look at all the run down junk cars without valid current registration parked in the employees parking lot. English isn't even a second language for 90+% of the employees on the shop floor. True story..., BTW, I notice minute details like that.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
There is a Youtube video of an RV aswembly line where the workers are literally running with walls and throwing them together. Quality and pride in workmanship are largely lacking. Makes me afraid to buy new

It's in all things. You just have to accept that the RV is the cheapest possible thing thrown together to make a price point. You will fix things wrong, just like a house.

Every year the local homebuilders showcase their stuff and the wife and I go. Can't tell you how many 500k-2Million houses I've been to and found glaring "oops" there. From un-level cabinets to a railing that was spliced in the middle to wavy floors.

IMHO quality craftsmanship is almost extinct today in every industry.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
And they brag about their Amish quality. I'm betting they don't use Amish workers in much of a percentage. Or maybe no percentage at all.

My unit is a west coast build. Most of the "Amish" out here are of the hispanic variety. ??
RVing since 1995.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

You need to tour the factories, I think you will be surprised to see how many are Amish. The idea of a particular religion being more quality oriented, is just hype.