cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low voltage

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2 new Honda 2K's in a 2013 Jayco White Hawk. Each time the compressor cycles, if they are on econo, the voltage drops low enough to turn off the TV. The hot water heater is on gas. Is this normal? Will it improve over time? Anything I can do to improve the situation? Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smkettner has a good suggestion.. in fact when I'm on a questionable power site I turn off the breaker that feeds my Xantrex prosine (inverter) and let it provide power to it's designated clients (TV, Microwave and so on) Now the batteries are charged by a different device so this results in the following line chart

Shore power to---Converter--Batteries--Inverter---Television

I can take shore power that... Well if you displayed it on a 'scope it would scare you, or rather scare me, and it comes out of that prosine as sweet, pure and clear as the best of flutes.. (And I might add I have had the pleasure of listening to some of those, If you do not believe me you need to listen to my daughter, there are better flutists, and I have heard them, but they are not all that many).

But that is an excellent way to deal with the problem

In your case: say a Samalux 300 watt inverter, stand alone, parked near the batteries, and run standard 120 volt wire up to the TV/Electronics bay and put in a couple of additional outlets there.

I suggest using Red or Orange outlets and plates for the inverter powered outlets to distinguish from the non-inverter outlets.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Put the tv on a small inverter. Battery voltage will remain constant.
You could try leaving the blower fan running.
And of course eco-mode off is a solution.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running Econo mode for fuel savings or noise levels?
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lon-Str wrote:
if they are on econo, the voltage drops

You typed the answer.. TURN OFF ECONO mode if running A/C.

option 2 is a UPS but alas.. That might not work..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Hard start capacitor on the A/C. And maybe drop the converter out of the circuit too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
MY one 2KW Honda will start my 13,500 BTU air conditoner in full run mode if I turn everything in the trailer OFF and start the a/c fan first. Then the very next time the A/C cycles it trips the breaker haha...

As Capt Kirk says "MORE POWER SCOTTY !! - give me all you got!!!"

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
You don't run ECO mode when you have a full power application sucking every last amp out of the system to overcome the equivalent of 60 amps or "rotor lockup" amps on the compressor on an AC unit.

Put at least one of your generators in regular mode when starting up the AC, perferably both, and make sure both motors/generators are thoroughly warmed up for a couple of minutes, before turning on the AC unit.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You could add a boost type inverter such as the Magnum 3000 watt unit.

My Yamaha 3000 sIEB drops to 96 volts when the air cuts in. Too low for my comfort. I now have a remote control so I can switch to eco mode remotely once the air is up and running.

You might also try running the fridge on electric so that the generators will have a bit of demand on them already.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG is right on. Run them at full RPM for starting load.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately either or both of the above solutions will have to be done. I guess I'm lucky my gens will run my air on Eco.

I used to have my inverter wired in such a way as to kick it off until the gens could catch up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Try a hard start kit for the AC unit, before doing anything else.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If trying to run AC off of two Honda eU2000i's then you should not have them on eco.
They need to be running at full RPM to keep from sagging. It will also keep just one of the gens from trying to carry the load.