cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pleated shade repair - DIY?

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone here attempted to do a DIY pleated shade repair? In my case the cord is broken.

Here's a repair kit for Irvine shades. Just wondering how difficult a task this might be?

Much easier to just order a whole new unit - but much pricier too!
11 REPLIES 11

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Restrung two of mine, a 2 string and a 4 string. Pretty easy job. What I found is that the manufacturer had the cords way too tight so I loosened up the wall anchors at the bottom and loosened up the cords a little.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My rear window shade broke while on a trip. It seemed loose and would work its way closed while driving. I removed the shade and tied the broken string back together and set the proper tension. It has been working fine ever since.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Yup, what they said.

HappyKayakers - I assume that's the voice of experience?

Yep! My cat plays with that piece of string to this day. It wasn't quite so amusing when she was trying to play with it as I was trying to thread it :E
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Not too difficult, but much easier if you repair it before it breaks. Ours was fraying but not broken. I just taped the new cords to the old ones and carefully pulled the new ones in place when the old ones were pulled out.

What works better for me is melting the ends then touching the melted ends together and rolling them between your finger and thumb. Results in a nicely welded joint. No, I never burned my fingers doing this. :B
Also works well if you have the two ends of the broken cord accessible.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, what they said.

HappyKayakers - I assume that's the voice of experience?
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have repaired several. Go to Fix my Blinds. You can get everything you need there and detailed instructions.

Not difficult but it does require some patience.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how big the shade is. I've done a couple small shades that only used 2 cords. Relatively easy, but if you have a cat, make sure it's not in the room with you.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy the cord cheap online and dye it to match at home. Restring is easy but time consuming the first couple of times

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, done too - but get the repair kit with the correct cord. I cheated on one and found some cord from Walmart - lasted less than a month before it snapped too.

After doing the first one, you can work out how they work and then they are easier ๐Ÿ™‚

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Not too difficult, but much easier if you repair it before it breaks. Ours was fraying but not broken. I just taped the new cords to the old ones and carefully pulled the new ones in place when the old ones were pulled out.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
DH has replaced two of ours over the past year. The first one was a real challenge - patience is what is required. Having done one, the second one was a lot easier. Just follow the instructions very carefully.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)