cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Level?

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 propane tanks on my TT and have no idea how full the tanks are. They can be removed and weighed but would like to be able to glance at it and know.

I have read that the after market gauges are not accurate since pressures basically stay the same no matter how full the tanks are.

The adhesive strips would be ok, are they accurate?

Any suggestions?
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22
24 REPLIES 24

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a tank that still has stuff sloshing around inside. Tank weighs 27 lbs on the scale... but nothing is coming out. Several times I shut the valve off and very slowly opened the valve. Replacement tank worked fine.

It's one of my exchange tanks as opposed to a tank I own, so I'll just exchange it and get my 15 lbs of propane ๐Ÿ˜ž

What could be wrong with the tank?

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Like Nomad267 I have a Truma Level Check. 100% accurate.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Why dont'cha just buy one of these, and a couple 1# bottles, and be done w/ it.
A 1# bottle will carry you till you refill, and long enuff to have a few beers in peace.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I have a screw in gauge that I bought at Lowes it goes between the bottle and the regulator, it seems accurate enough for my use.
I have tried the magnetic ones and they do not work very well. They also make a clear tank now (expensive)they are lighter in weight and you can see the amount of propane in it, Camping world has these

I ordered my screw on gauge on-line. Worked great for one year. Over the winter it picked up condensation in the gauge, after that, I swear the needle went "up" as I used propane, instead of down. By the end of the 2nd year, I smelled propane while hooking up, soap test revealed that the gauge needed tossed.

Dave H M wrote:
i often wondered what some people do to pass the camping time. Now i know, they go to great lengths to try to figure out how much propane is in each tank. :W

Me and the folks that utilize the auto change over and red/green indicator must have other things to do.

Probably not as constructive though. :B

Easy for those of you with TWO tanks to say. Maybe I should invest in a single to dual tank conversation kit so that I can drink my beer in peace.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a tank from Costco that has a gauge built on it. That works good enough for a general idea. I've also disabled the auto switch over. I like knowing when the halfway point is. From there, I have weeks to get the empty filled.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i often wondered what some people do to pass the camping time. Now i know, they go to great lengths to try to figure out how much propane is in each tank. :W

Me and the folks that utilize the auto change over and red/green indicator must have other things to do.

Probably not as constructive though. :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Visit any of the following types of stores:
Camping World/Big RV store
Hardware
Home Depot/Lowes/Mennards
Fireplace and grill store
Wal*Mart, or other "Super Store" (Grill dept).

They will have there a piece of tape, may be either magnetic or peal and stick, It's an LCD thing.. now we think of LCD (liquid Crystal Displays) as electronic devices but this one is not electronic at all. It is temperature sensitive.

You remove from package, Unroll and attach to the side of the gas bottle. You can cut it if there is a welded seam that causes issues.

now go inside and fire up ye old propane stove and put on a pan of water to boil.

When it boils.. Turn off burner go outside and pour the hot water over the strip

:You will see it change color.. at some point there will be a sharp or sudden change of color on the strip.. THAT IS YOUR PROPANE LEVEL.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Nomad297_
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Truma Level Check and it is dead on accurate. I always know exactly how much propane is in my tanks. This is one of my favorite gadgets.

Bruce

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
dbbls wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Put your hand on the active tank when in use. You'll easily be able to tell where the level is.
Where the liquid is will be cold, warm where there is no liquid.

This works best after pouring hot water down the side of the tank, whether in use or not. We us that on the tank in the stick house.

Works OK in normal temps but I showed my wife those tricks on our last cross country outing at Yellowstone, outside temps in the teens and humidity about 10%.

She went back inside laughing.....she doesn't believe anything I say now:-\

Ron W
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Put your hand on the active tank when in use. You'll easily be able to tell where the level is.

This works best after pouring hot water down the side of the tank, whether in use or not. We us that on the tank in the stick house.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have a screw in gauge that I bought at Lowes it goes between the bottle and the regulator, it seems accurate enough for my use.
I have tried the magnetic ones and they do not work very well. They also make a clear tank now (expensive)they are lighter in weight and you can see the amount of propane in it, Camping world has these
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II