Did you mean:ย 

KStadden
Explorer
Explorer
31 REPLIES 31

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Honda EU1000i. The generator was bought new and didn't work well at all. The engine would surge on eco setting all the time. I ended up re-designing the fuel system to make it run correctly. I had to remove the anti tamper fuel screw and adjust it properly. The fuel screw couldn't be adjusted with the carb on the engine. I had to remove the carb and make an adjustment then test. This a very time consuming frustrating problem. I feel sorry for the people that bought these generators that didn't have the ability to correct Honda's problem. I bought a Yamaha 3000SEB for my high power needs.
mm49

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
For Fire dept's and people that rarely use their generator, VP fuels SEF is the way to go. Yes its expensive but the machine can sit for a very long time with no ill side efffects of modern day pump fuel.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:
We had three Yamaha 1000's we purchased in 2002 for our fire department . We then mounted 500 watt lights to them. After a year we had nothing but complaints about the Yamaha generators.
Wen on calls that required lighting we had fits trying to get the Yamaha's to run when we would turn the light on. Three years ago we purchased a honda to go with a new pumper we bought. We have not had one problem or complaint with the Honda. There is no doubt which brand the firefighters will purchase if they need a portable generator for home use.

Note: generators are started every two weeks during truck checks to make sure they start.

The Fire Department will choose a Honda every time because of the color. LOL
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:

3 pages worth, I'm gonna take the Samsung Chromebook to the 'loo for this one.

Make sure it'll start before you get 'comfortable'.....

Jim, "Everything in balance. Just the right amount of sugar, just the right amount of caffeine."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Store them with fuel tank and carb fuel bowl dry.

x2 - but really only the carb fuel bowl. If the gas in the tank is treated for storage, I've found that just about any brand generator will start right up if the carb bowl is stored empty.

This includes my Kipor 2000, two cheap Chinese gensets, two chainsaws, weed whacker, giant 22HP 4' wide snow blower, push lawn mower - everything I have with an engine.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Store them with fuel tank and carb fuel bowl dry.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had three Yamaha 1000's we purchased in 2002 for our fire department . We then mounted 500 watt lights to them. After a year we had nothing but complaints about the Yamaha generators.
Wen on calls that required lighting we had fits trying to get the Yamaha's to run when we would turn the light on. Three years ago we purchased a honda to go with a new pumper we bought. We have not had one problem or complaint with the Honda. There is no doubt which brand the firefighters will purchase if they need a portable generator for home use.

Note: generators are started every two weeks during truck checks to make sure they start.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
KStadden wrote:
We were on a family hunting vacation recently. My brother has a 2011 Jayco travel trailer, identical to our 2012 Jayco. He doesn't own a generator yet so occasionally he borrowed either my Yamaha EF2000IS or my parents' Honda EU2000I.

I've always noticed that the eco-throttle (or whatever Yamaha calls it) on my generator doesn't work very well when trying to run our Microwave. The generator won't spool up fast enough when you start the microwave. It speeds up some, but never reaches WOT. Because of this I will always just leave it running wide open if I know we'll be using the micro.

We saw the same result on my brother's trailer with my Yamaha. Not so with the Honda. It would right away start revving like crazy and running the micro just fine.

Even if we left the Yamaha at full speed and started the microwave, it bogged down substantially more than the Honda under load.

Anybody else have a similar experience?
I will set and have a hot coco while this takes place.

Im looking for the popcorn icon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 pages worth, I'm gonna take the Samsung Chromebook to the 'loo for this one.

KStadden
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

EldIr
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
EldIr wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I had an 83 or 84 V65 and if it sat for two weeks I would have to grind on it to get it to start. Rather embarrassing in front of my Suzuki friend.
My CB900C, CB750C and CB750F were all the same.

Again, no offense intended, but the common denominator here isn't that they were all Hondas, it's you. Properly adjusted carbs and chokes and they will fire off within 5 seconds even after sitting a month. I realize that not all owners of cycles, or generators, are mechanically inclined, but these things aren't just gas and go. They require proper care - either done by the owner or the shop. Many people who don't know how to maintain them are either too cheap to bring them to the dealer or just aren't aware of the necessary care needed. Then they're surprised when they have problems.

I can't tell you how many great deals I got on used cars back in the days of carbs because the owners had hard starting problems. Most times I disconnected the worthless automatic choke, added a manual cable and they started just fine.

You couldn't be more wrong. My machines were maintained to a tee with regular valve adjustments and carb balancing. So were the Honda's my friends owned which all did the same thing.
None were modified and only name brand fuel used.
Apparently you were the exception to the rule when it comes to hard starting Honda MC's. (no offense)

No offense taken but I'm very surprised by your issues. My buddy was the service manager at the Honda dealer back in the 80's & 90's and there were many 70's & 80's Hondas in our circle of friends that had no such issues. My uncle had a 550 super sport and my cousin a 750. My roomate had a cb750 (not ss) as did another buddy. Starting problems were never an issue. Nor are they now with my 30 year old Magna.
'01 Burb 2500 4x4 496/4.10 (3.73 effective w/ new tires)
'94 Jayco 300BH

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
My Yamaha 2000 set for over a year in storage and I started it on the first pull, but who really cares, I have Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawsaski's. I just want all of them. It is the union works here who can't make anything work. I just bought wife a new pick she wanted yesterday and also and car two week back, both were not made by a U.S. company. When Washington takes bond hold stock away and gives it to the union, I after 50 years stopped buying U.S. cars and trucks.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Honda 2000 over the Yamaha because I liked that the controls were on the front with exhaust out the back, vs the side like Yamaha (easier to set them side by side when the time comes), and Honda has a larger displacement motor, thus slightly more umph. I'm not surprised by your observation, considering the Honda is about 95 CC vs. 75 CC Yamaha. 20 CC is a lot in a small motor.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
EldIr wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I had an 83 or 84 V65 and if it sat for two weeks I would have to grind on it to get it to start. Rather embarrassing in front of my Suzuki friend.
My CB900C, CB750C and CB750F were all the same.

Again, no offense intended, but the common denominator here isn't that they were all Hondas, it's you. Properly adjusted carbs and chokes and they will fire off within 5 seconds even after sitting a month. I realize that not all owners of cycles, or generators, are mechanically inclined, but these things aren't just gas and go. They require proper care - either done by the owner or the shop. Many people who don't know how to maintain them are either too cheap to bring them to the dealer or just aren't aware of the necessary care needed. Then they're surprised when they have problems.

I can't tell you how many great deals I got on used cars back in the days of carbs because the owners had hard starting problems. Most times I disconnected the worthless automatic choke, added a manual cable and they started just fine.

You couldn't be more wrong. My machines were maintained to a tee with regular valve adjustments and carb balancing. So were the Honda's my friends owned which all did the same thing.
None were modified and only name brand fuel used.
Apparently you were the exception to the rule when it comes to hard starting Honda MC's. (no offense)

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Ford or Chevy. Can't go wrong with either. I'm quite happy with my Yamaha 3000 watt inverter generator.

I do say that the Honda edges the Yamaha out in two places. The first is the suction/diaphragm fuel pump on the Hondas as opposed to gravity flow. This allows the Hondas to use extended run tanks. Living in Texas where A/C is a must from May-Oct, having the ability to run the distance is important.

The second is that Honda accessories, parts, and service places are virtually everywhere. Yamaha has a strong dealer network, but if you go to a RV dealer, they will have some Honda expertise.

off topic, but you can add the extend run time kit to a yamaha.

http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/

I added wireless remote start and extended runtime kit to my Honda 6500IS and am very pleased with the products this person sells.

A really nice feature is His wireless kit allows you to switch in/out of econ mode by remote.

watch the install videos.

To save $$$ You could acquire the parts on your own for cheaper then the kit he sells, but I thought it better to reward him for his work in the design of the system.
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package