cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater drain plug head broke off..Remove Advice

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood 6-gal drain plug head broke off. Orig that came with the MW presume. 2000 yr RV.

Tryin to out how to get the threaded portion out. No water in the RV till I do.

How about putting a drill bit that is just a little larger in it, tap in a little and turn it counter clockwise.

Only other way I see is buy a large size easy-out and use that.

Any other ideas oh great sages?

rick
14 REPLIES 14

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Bght straight fluted extractor as Ace. Was too small. Went up to hilt end and just rotated.

Returned that and got large easy out and it worked. Close tho. Took the threaded portion out and installed new plug. Prob solved.

Thanks for all the help.

Rick

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
I'm not sure if a drill bit will work since the bit has to rotate clockwise to bite into the material but the plug has to come out counter-clockwise. I used a hacksaw blade to carefully cut through it, front to back, in a couple of places then used needle nosed pliers to pull out the pieces. Another way would be to use this, which can be found at Ace, Home Depot, etc.

Left hand drill bits are available and just for info left hand thread taps are available as well.

You are on the right track suggesting using a LH drill, however, you cannot use a left hand tap to clean out right-handed threads.

I once seen a rookie wannabe Machinist cussing all the china made taps, while the whole time he was trying to start a LH tap into hole with RH threads.
I pointed out that it had LH etched on his tap, he shore got red-faced & gave us all something to rib him with.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's plastic (nylon) just shove a heavy bladed knife in and turn it out. If metal an EZ out may be required.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I make it a practice to use a 6-point socket on my Atwood plug.

When removing broken bolts / studs, sometimes they'll spin right out just using a left-hand drill bit.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
I'm not sure if a drill bit will work since the bit has to rotate clockwise to bite into the material but the plug has to come out counter-clockwise. I used a hacksaw blade to carefully cut through it, front to back, in a couple of places then used needle nosed pliers to pull out the pieces. Another way would be to use this, which can be found at Ace, Home Depot, etc.

Left hand drill bits are available and just for info left hand thread taps are available as well.
jwmII

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way I found was to use a soldering iron and melt a groove through the plastic in the top and the bottom of the threads, then take a pick and pick out the 2 sides.

It took me about 5 minutes and wont damage your threads in the tank.

I tried an ease out and several other methods to no avail.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When I had same issue the various extractors didn't work for me .. I ended up using a small torch which melted the plastic plug allowing me to use a tiny pic to remove the residual off the threads ... most seem to get the plug out with extractors.
Kevin

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
pulsar wrote:
I carry a large straight-flute screw extractor, purchased at Sears. I've only used it twice, once on my rig and once to help a fellow camper.

it worked fast and easy.

A sprinkler nipple extractor (Lowes or Home Depot) works the same wan and just as easy. Neither damages the threads.

Tom

Thanks Tom I'm a callin' Ace Hardware next.

You guys are great for us new RVers.

rick

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get it out replace it with one made of nylon

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Flat head screwdriver driven in and turned with vice grip pliers
If no center hole heat the head of screwdriver with a propane torch

This or a sprinkler head extractor available at your hardware store.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Flat head screwdriver driven in and turned with vice grip pliers
If no center hole heat the head of screwdriver with a propane torch
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pulsar wrote:
I carry a large straight-flute screw extractor, purchased at Sears. I've only used it twice, once on my rig and once to help a fellow camper.

Tom

You can you his type or go to Lowes or Home Depot and go to the lawn irrigation aisle and they sell a "T" HANDLE plug extraction tool. Works great. Click this link. Doug

http://www.smarthome.com/orbit-irrigation-26076-3-piece-nipple-extractor-combo-kit.html?src=Froogle&...

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer

it worked fast and easy.

A sprinkler nipple extractor (Lowes or Home Depot) works the same wan and just as easy. Neither damages the threads.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)