cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water line burst

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
We never use those little brass water pressure regulators. They cut to water flow too much. Been RVing for 20 years and never had a problem. This week when I hooked up, I noticed that we had "really good pressure", but I didn't give it a second thought.

When we got back to the RV today, there was no water. Checked the valve and found that (a) someone had turned off our water, and (b) water was pouring out of the RV's water bay once we turned the water back on. So...no water.

The upside is that the break appears to be in the water bay, so with any luck there is no water damage. But, finding and fixing the break could be a challenge. We can still get "emergency water" by running the pump, but half the water dumps out into the water bay while the pump is running. We will be home in a few days and can do the repairs then.

Going forward, what is the best option:

a) Continue without the regulator and pay more attention when pressure is high. After all, it worked for 20 years.

b) Fill the tank with campground water and then only use the water pump. I hate putting "strange" water into the fresh water tank.

c) Use the regulator/campground water for most things and then boost the pressure with the pump when taking showers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul
24 REPLIES 24

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pauldub wrote:
Get a high flow regulator instead of the cheapo ones.

Bingo - that's all it takes. Just make sure it says "high flow" and you'll have all the volume you need.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a good one, a Watts brass one, it won't cut your water pressure and you can also buy it so it is adjustable as far as what pressure you want. The first cheaper one we bought from camping world when we started did the same thing, hardly any pressure at all.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
hind sight is 20-20. you can count yourself lucky this time. may not be so lucky next time. I carry two regulators in case a family member needs one. I have turned off many a RV that had hoses and other things burst because of high pressure in parks

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
1. Get a quality regulator and always use it.

2. Always turn water off when you leave the campsite.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Get a high flow regulator instead of the cheapo ones.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
I've been RVing for almost 50 years. ALWAYS USED A REGULATOR (unless the campground's water trickled out of the hose). Never had any problems with my pipes. I use a "whole house" Watts regulator adapted for garden hose (male/female) set at 50-60psi. I never had any luck with the cheapo regulators that screw on your hose although others I know seem to have no problem with them. I know the larger regulator like I use work 100% of the time and allow full flow - no problem taking showers.

Available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Same here - always use a pressure regulator. If you spend some money on one of the better adjustable regulators with a gauge, it doesn't restrict the flow. When I first cleared the hose before hooking up at the RV park where we're currently staying, the water shot all the way across the street - no nozzle on the hose! I certainly don't want that kind of pressure inside the rig.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing for almost 50 years. ALWAYS USED A REGULATOR (unless the campground's water trickled out of the hose). Never had any problems with my pipes. I use a "whole house" Watts regulator adapted for garden hose (male/female) set at 50-60psi. I never had any luck with the cheapo regulators that screw on your hose although others I know seem to have no problem with them. I know the larger regulator like I use work 100% of the time and allow full flow - no problem taking showers.

Available at Home Depot and Lowes.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've been very lucky. Many of the RV parks we visit have extremely high water pressure. We never hook-up without a water regulator.

I'd suggest always using a water regulator. You should consider shopping for a better showerhead. There are a number of aftermarket showerheads that work well with low water pressure.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We pump filtered water into the tank and only use the pump.
Another good reason to always shut off the campground water when leaving the rig for any length of time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
b works but if that makes you uncomfortable then suggest you look at a Watt's adjustable pressure regulator. we have model 263A built-in in our wet bay. spring for the oil filled stainless model.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle