cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Show your mods!!

Mr_Usa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a removeable DVD stand I made out of conduit and wood for the back bunk in our Jayco 23B. swivels and tilted slightly. I also made one that will slide in the post where our regular TV sits for those "Dry camping" days!!

Weather station.

Clock installed above Dinette.

No need to bring a chunk of wood with.

08 Jayco 23B
02 Sequoia SR5 I-Force V8
Equalizer Hitch
The wife, Mrs. Usa
Our son AJ
Norman & his lil Buddy
499 REPLIES 499

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with PenMan. The installation was beautiful no doubt, and the photos were great -- kudos to the OP. I like how the bed neatly clears the top of the tool box. But I hate to throw cold water on this, and am only saying this in the interest of safety.

I too am an engineer (still practising) and like PenMan, I would not follow this trailer down the road - period! The toolbox frame as well as the spare tire rack are both trying to pry the bumper off its longitudinal supports, and typically, these hybrids don't have significant frame-support to their bumpers -- that is the weak point. Even then, the bumpers are thin-walled tube so the welds to the bumpers are small. Last, the load is not static but dynamic so the issue would be low-cycle fatigue overstressing these light welds, which would most likely not be devoid of stress raisers.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Leaf-Peeper wrote:
GeoRoo wrote:

I saw this posting a few nights ago... although it does look pretty and may seem solid and "safe" to you, it did get me wondering that perhaps you might have a mechanical engineer take a peak at this. Maybe you know a relative thatโ€™s a mechanical engineer, maybe someone in the neighborhood, or someone at work? Show the engineer each of your pictures of this box and spare tire carrier, explain that youโ€™ll be throwing some stuff inside that box thatโ€™ll make it some bit heavier than it is now and that itโ€™s gonna have hit an occasional bump or pothole while traveling down the road. Give a listen and some consideration as to what he/she has to say.

I am a Mechanical Engineer (retired design engineer) and unless the receivers are welded to the frame I would not want to follow this trailer down the highway. Even if the receivers are welded to the frame (it does not look like they are) I would never trust this setup. It is an accident waiting to happen.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
GeoRoo wrote:

I saw this posting a few nights ago... although it does look pretty and may seem solid and "safe" to you, it did get me wondering that perhaps you might have a mechanical engineer take a peak at this. Maybe you know a relative thatโ€™s a mechanical engineer, maybe someone in the neighborhood, or someone at work? Show the engineer each of your pictures of this box and spare tire carrier, explain that youโ€™ll be throwing some stuff inside that box thatโ€™ll make it some bit heavier than it is now and that itโ€™s gonna have hit an occasional bump or pothole while traveling down the road. Give a listen and some consideration as to what he/she has to say.
'05 Chevy Tahoe & โ€™08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
Those snaps don't interfere with the sealing of the door do they?

Popeye59,

Good morning, great question for all to consider. At the time of install I thought the same and ran some tests. I performed the mod on one bed first then conducted a test fit/closing of the bed. I sprayed water over it with the hose and it didn't leak... I thought to myself, "cool!"

Well, we are camping this weekend and after picking up the trailer a couple days ago I noticed a small pool of water trapped inside the exterior portion of the canvas material on one of the beds (didn't leak into the bed or interior of the trailer). "Ruh-roh!" After further inspection, it appears that one of the bed-seals doesn't get a complete seal due to one of the snaps (placed higher due to location of manufacturer installed hardware, or one of the screws securing the door frame).

We have had some heavy rains here the past week and I think I'll have to relocate the snaps away from the seals just to be safe... completion date: TBD! but, I'll probably work on it this weekend out at the park... And, I may relocate the snaps on the interior portion of the bed's door frame (again, I'll need to reassess the design, test it then do it lol)!

One step forward, two steps backwards...

Take care all and have a safe and enjoyable Labor day weekend!

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Those snaps don't interfere with the sealing of the door do they?
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jpetrey
Explorer
Explorer
GeoRoo wrote:
Finally got around to the RV a few weeks ago. All ideas were derived from this forum, so thanks all!

Screen door push bar (so simple yet a necessity):

Assist grab handle:

RV Truck box mod (I choose Husky):

Measuring the frame to box:

welding complete:

Curt Mfg hitch receivers:

frame with spray on bed liner:

Frame test fit:

Spare tire fits under here too!

Spare under frame:

Test fitting box (left room for future bike hitch or accessories):

Mounting bolts:

Done!

Finished left side view by Geo662, on Flickr

Checking ground clearance by Geo662, on Flickr

finished right side view by Geo662, on Flickr

Good ground clearance by Geo662, on Flickr

Curt Mfg hitch receivers by Geo662, on Flickr

And finally, installed snaps to my PUGz:

Pugz with snaps by Geo662, on Flickr

The snaps make installation of 3 PUGz "a snap!" OK, lame, but really it only takes 3-5 minutes to install them now (most of my time is spent climbing up and down the bunk ends).

Thanks all for your great ideas, and to 4Happycampers for the truck box advice!

vr, Geo

I like the snap idea and am going to try and do that on my flagstaff popup

Moderator edit to remove duplicate pictures and correct formatting.

2015 Heartland Prowler LX285
2013 Dodge Ram 1500

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
SixInTheRoo wrote:
Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting an answer so quickly. I will add this to the things to google today. I am really excited to have found this site and look forward to sharing our camping adventures!! Thanks again for the help.

See, awesome forum support here!

The PUGs make a huge difference both during winter and summer! If you have any questions at all, call/email Bob (PUGs owner); he has always been there to answer my calls/emails, 100% customer satisfaction and great customer service!

Don't forget to research the solar bunk liners too... We purchased them this spring but haven't used them yet.

vr Geo

sunshdw
Explorer
Explorer
SixInTheRoo wrote:
Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting an answer so quickly. I will add this to the things to google today. I am really excited to have found this site and look forward to sharing our camping adventures!! Thanks again for the help.

This site has been a HUGE help to us. One thing I've found is ask the what you think are dumb questions. Happy Camping!!
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Bighorn
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

SixInTheRoo
Explorer
Explorer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
SixInTheRoo wrote:

Quick qestion,
I am new to the site and already have a long list of things that I want to do to our Roo but I am unsure of what your last picture is of? Is it some sort of reflector blanket that you snapped on? Any info would be great. Thanks so much

PopUpGizmos ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Those are PUG's, Pop Up Gizmos. Thermal covers for the bunk ends. Reflect heat out in summer and hold heat in in colder weather. Do a search here for either PUG or Gizmo and you should see quite a few threads about them.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

SixInTheRoo
Explorer
Explorer
GeoRoo wrote:
Wow, thanks for the feedback all, I appreciate the comments...

First, I am waiting on a custom crank assembly for the spare, which will go under the trailer (closer to the front/middle). My friend who welded the frame is TDY for several weeks and I won't have the part until he returns (later this fall). The trailer is currently in storage and will be there until Sep/Oct (for our next two outings). and yes, it did clear the driveway! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Background: we historically have used a single hitch receiver and hitch-haul carrier (manufacturer's max capacity of 500lbs, which we NEVER tested). This hitch haul carrier forced us to stow the spare in either the tow vehicle or trailer. This temp location of the spare frees up some space and is very safe. It clears very well and the departure angle only changed by a degree or two (which is negligible for a trailer). Besides, I avoid uneven terrain and obstacles even with a clean bumper... And, I mission plan my routes to and from the camp site prior to departing and choose only level sites... I admit, that it is a bit of a challenge removing/mounting the spare (but it is only temporary). While performing the truck box mod, I was surprised to discover that the spare fit underneath... I never meant for it to be permanent.

Secondly, this year model trailer's bumper ties directly into the I beams/frame (6", running full length), and upon consult with the manufacturer; they have determined it to be safe. I can reinforce it but the total weight of the mod (with gear) is less than 120lbs (majority of it being the frame and truck box). The distribution of weight along the dual-hitch receivers and welded frame are very sufficient (imo). I don't have engineering analysis, or data to prove this to you but it is very solid. I have planned on adding a bike carrier to the frame but I am reconsidering a new location... Where, I don't know. I am brainstorming...

I will need to add reflectors to the frame to finish the mod (some states require it, some do not) and would like to add a backup camera as well... TBD...

I've learned so much from this forum and appreciate all of the technical analysis, positive feedback, brilliant ideas and encouragement. That's why I'm a member here, and hopefully one day I can encourage others to get the most out of their rig and camping experience... Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Vr, Geo

Quick qestion,
I am new to the site and already have a long list of things that I want to do to our Roo but I am unsure of what your last picture is of? Is it some sort of reflector blanket that you snapped on? Any info would be great. Thanks so much

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for the feedback all, I appreciate the comments...

First, I am waiting on a custom crank assembly for the spare, which will go under the trailer (closer to the front/middle). My friend who welded the frame is TDY for several weeks and I won't have the part until he returns (later this fall). The trailer is currently in storage and will be there until Sep/Oct (for our next two outings). and yes, it did clear the driveway! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Background: we historically have used a single hitch receiver and hitch-haul carrier (manufacturer's max capacity of 500lbs, which we NEVER tested). This hitch haul carrier forced us to stow the spare in either the tow vehicle or trailer. This temp location of the spare frees up some space and is very safe. It clears very well and the departure angle only changed by a degree or two (which is negligible for a trailer). Besides, I avoid uneven terrain and obstacles even with a clean bumper... And, I mission plan my routes to and from the camp site prior to departing and choose only level sites... I admit, that it is a bit of a challenge removing/mounting the spare (but it is only temporary). While performing the truck box mod, I was surprised to discover that the spare fit underneath... I never meant for it to be permanent.

Secondly, this year model trailer's bumper ties directly into the I beams/frame (6", running full length), and upon consult with the manufacturer; they have determined it to be safe. I can reinforce it but the total weight of the mod (with gear) is less than 120lbs (majority of it being the frame and truck box). The distribution of weight along the dual-hitch receivers and welded frame are very sufficient (imo). I don't have engineering analysis, or data to prove this to you but it is very solid. I have planned on adding a bike carrier to the frame but I am reconsidering a new location... Where, I don't know. I am brainstorming...

I will need to add reflectors to the frame to finish the mod (some states require it, some do not) and would like to add a backup camera as well... TBD...

I've learned so much from this forum and appreciate all of the technical analysis, positive feedback, brilliant ideas and encouragement. That's why I'm a member here, and hopefully one day I can encourage others to get the most out of their rig and camping experience... Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Vr, Geo

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a problem removing the spare as well as putting the old tire on there. A lot of weight to try and hold while putting lug nuts on/off.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

mikenem
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremy626 wrote:
Not sure if I missed this in the post, but nice job on welding up the frame for the truckbox, looks beefy to support the weight and looks like it's securely mounted to the square bumper. However the square bumper to trailer frame is the weakest connection point in that whole setup (unless you reinforced the bumper to frame connection and I missed it).

My fear would be driving down the road and that whole assembly would crack the welds and it would come flying off..still attached to the bumper!

I'd also be nervous about road clearance with the spare tire below.

Besides that, it looks nice.

X2 - I don't think the tire, let alone the tire cover, will make it much further than the end of the driveway. But...you never know...
Mike & Emily D
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CC
2013 Keystone Summerland 2820