cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
Had a catastrophic fuel pump failure in our 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel......lost all power steering, brakes, etc. Dealer wants $12000 to repair! When the pump fails, metal shavings go thru entire fuel line, etc
After researching online, GM knew about this (CP4 fuel pump) issue before we bought our new truck in 2015!
We were lucky this happened at our seasonal campground & not while towing our 5th wheel in traffic.
Posting this as a warning to all of you with a GM diesel 2011-2016
70 REPLIES 70

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
reelcamper1 wrote:
No extended warranty, not covered on drivetrain! Thanks for all the info....still trying to get them to pay for costs! Going to try the suggestion for "goodwill warranty" money as suggested

Interesting that the fuel system is not covered under drivetrain warranty?

Not to hijack the thread, but...

I was going to buy a Ford extended warranty until I read that any part that failed as a result of a failure of a covered part was NOT COVERED. I suppose that sort of thing is standard fare in the warranty world. I declined the purchase.

-Speak

Don't worry - Fords got your back.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ha, and I asked them to put new shocks on it while it was out if commission.
They quoted me $1300+ for 4 shocks! Fcking amazing. Needless to say they didn't get to do the shocks.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great news you got the truck back fixed and covered under warranty.
But your story rings sooo true as to the absolute incompetence or maybe red tape, not sure which that is present.
Heck I don't even own one of those trucks, but a couple hours of google ing and a week waiting for parts ordered and couple days in the garage with a case of beer and I could have fixed it at home. Yet your dealer took a month...
Similar story, my 2016 Chevy work truck had a trans issue. Short story, it was covered under warranty and fixed.
Long story is they gave it back to me after a month, NOT fixed and somehow I might not notice that it slip out of gear and into neutral every time you come to a stop, lol.
After 2 months total, 3 attempts to fix it and 2 different loaner trucks because I put so many miles on the first one they swapped me into another new truck so they could sell the first loaner, I got the truck back.....and put about 9 k miles on their loaner trucks.
No wonder vehicles are so expensive. They could have rebuilt or swapped the trans for a new or rebuilt unit the first time, in about a week.
This faux pas literally cost GM $thousands in additional costs and depreciation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
GREAT NEWS!!! Just picked up our 2015 GMC Denali truck today! Took 1 month for dealer to repair because GM did not know which pump to replace failed Bosch pump.....
100% covered under drive train warranty!!! Dealer says he they repair these all the time!
Lessons learned: GM Customer Care is an outsourced, 3rd party vendor....they just refer back to the dealer (which in our case, dealer #1 didn't want to cover repair)
Don't give up, just because dealer said repair wasn't covered!
Thanks to everyone for input and support! We are lucky we were NOT towing trailer at time of pump failure!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Umm, they don't need any. Winning such lawsuit is another matter. But such a lawsuit can still be a problem for the defendant.
Bionic Man wrote:
BenK wrote:
Suggest writing an open letter in all of your news media that the "Good" dealer is within...name them

Too many OEM's are behind the times and don't GET how the Internet and social media plays VERY large in their credibility

Just don't name the offending dealership...they have been known to sue when named...

Glad you have a great dealership and on the way to a satisfactory end

What grounds would they have to sue?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Suggest writing an open letter in all of your news media that the "Good" dealer is within...name them

Too many OEM's are behind the times and don't GET how the Internet and social media plays VERY large in their credibility

Just don't name the offending dealership...they have been known to sue when named...

What grounds would they have to sue?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that you are getting it covered under warranty! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Goes to show you how a dealer can make a difference.

Dealer #1/GM customer service: Charge customer for repair.
Dealer #2: Cover repair under warranty.

Hope the OP doesn't have another HPFP repair down the road.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
reelcamper1 wrote:
Purchased truck from a GMC dealer in Joliet, IL, but we have taken truck in for service, oil changes, etc. to a dealer closer to home. When the truck DIED, hubby was 1 hr away from home. Closest dealer was GM dealer in Morris, IL (also owned by dealer where we purchased). They REFUSED to cover under warranty! Told us it was NOT covered by warranty. This was same thing we heard, from numerous people at dealer, GM Cust Service, GM Cust Service Supervisor, GM rep at Dealer, etc. etc. They were willing to give us "goodwill Warranty money" and charge us around $5500......
UNACCEPTABLE TO US!

So we had truck towed to the dealer we ALWAYS have service. They called their GM rep & are covering this under our warranty!

After all is said and done, I am sending all dealers & GM a letter. This should not have been this frustrating!

You were caught in some sort of politics and profit loss scenario sort of like what happens in the RV industry. The other dealers did not want a reduced rate for their labor and all that goes with warranty work vs. a straight sale.
Your regular dealer values you as a customer and went to bat for you and is willing to accept the shortcomings of doing warranty work.
I understand there are warranty challenges for the dealers but this should be all transparent to the customer.
GM initially dropped the ball on this, but fortunately your regular dealer got involved and picked up the fumble.
Good Luck..all's well that ends well.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had something similar (but not nearly catastrophic) with my truck when my DEF pump when out after the 3 year 36,000 but before the 5 year 100,000 mile diesel warranty was up. The Chevy dealer near that could get me in (not the selling dealer) said it wasn't part of power train so it wasn't covered. Fast forward a couple weeks and I am chatting with another Duramax owner and come to find out he had the same issue and his was covered as part of the power train warranty! I went to our local GMC dealerwhere I actually get my truck serviced for an oil change and asked them about it and he confirmed it should have been covered. Long story short the second dealer did some legwork for me and a few weeks later I had a check in the mail.

It's amazing they don't know what's covered and not.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased truck from a GMC dealer in Joliet, IL, but we have taken truck in for service, oil changes, etc. to a dealer closer to home. When the truck DIED, hubby was 1 hr away from home. Closest dealer was GM dealer in Morris, IL (also owned by dealer where we purchased). They REFUSED to cover under warranty! Told us it was NOT covered by warranty. This was same thing we heard, from numerous people at dealer, GM Cust Service, GM Cust Service Supervisor, GM rep at Dealer, etc. etc. They were willing to give us "goodwill Warranty money" and charge us around $5500......
UNACCEPTABLE TO US!

So we had truck towed to the dealer we ALWAYS have service. They called their GM rep & are covering this under our warranty!

After all is said and done, I am sending all dealers & GM a letter. This should not have been this frustrating!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
reelcamper1 wrote:
Appreciate all the suspicious minds here...nothing fishy, nothing more to the story. Google BOSCH CP4 fuel pump and read the stories.....
Not a maintenance issue.......
Huntindog said it best, not a GM vs. FORD rivalry. As consumers at the mercy of these HUGE CORP, we are the ones who lose!

Well aware of cp4 issues. The issue here is GM is telling you its not covered when its clearly printed in the warranty booklet they provided with the truck. You have 5 years or 100K miles coverage from GM on the complete Duramax diesel including fuel system...

Post up your RO, I'd love to see why its not covered.

Curious about this also. Is this the third dealer they have been to or is the original denial the dealer they purchased the truck? So either incompetence by the first dealer or they flagged it as bad fuel.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ACZL wrote:
Lantley wrote:
reelcamper1 wrote:
Appreciate all the suspicious minds here...nothing fishy, nothing more to the story. Google BOSCH CP4 fuel pump and read the stories.....
Not a maintenance issue.......
Huntindog said it best, not a GM vs. FORD rivalry. As consumers at the mercy of these HUGE CORP, we are the ones who lose!

THat's been my point all along. The consumer should not be on the hook for a $12K repair. On a $65K truck that just a few years old. No way , No how.
The manufacturers have to do a better job, particularly with this being a known issue.

I would agree as well, but like I said in my other post, BOSCH recommends that all six injectors be replace when only 2 are bad (supposedly) at $750.00 EACH. 10 grand for inj, DEF filters and labor on a '16 Freightliner---not covered by warranty. Only after some higher ups got involved did the price for the job get reduced. Now, on the other hand, stopped by local town hiway dep't as they have a few Western Star trucks w/ Detroit's. Spoke w/ the mechanic to advise him of what happened to me/us (company) and said he wasn't surprised. He used to work for Detroit and said that's the problem w/ common rail injection systems. If 1 or 2 inj go, they send **** thru the system thus ruining the others possibly so it's best to replace all inj. To tell you the truth, best explanation I heard/got. If this is the case, what's the best alternative?

My point is if the entire system has the potential to self destruct to the tune of $12K there is a major problem.
I really don't need to know all technical details the details.
I imagine if GM, Ford , Bosch or whomever had a little disclaimer in the paperwork that said: "A known issue is the fuel system is fragile and may self destruct within the next 5 years to the tune of a $12K out of pocket repair.
Would you still like to purchase truck?
That statement would resolve the entire issue for consumers.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637