WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
138 REPLIES 138

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's another TFL video. Also it the Nissan engineers choose to compare the Titan/cummins to a F150 with a 5.0 V8. Something tells me the 3.5 Eco Boost will stomp the 5.0 cummins in the performance category.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Car & Driver Instrumented Test of Nissan XD Cummins

Link to C&D Article

Highlights:

3/5 Star Rating

Highs:
Smooth, quiet torque, easy-going chassis tuned for stable towing.

Lows:
Overwhelming flab, no ambition to be great.

MSRP (Nissan XD Titan Cummins, Crew Cab, Long Bed):
$40k - $60k

Weight (Platinum Reserve):
7281 lbs.

Observed Fuel Economy (over 566 miles, including more than 200 miles towing a 2000 Tundra):
15 MPG

0-60 MPH:
9.2 sec.
(Ecodiesel 0-60 MPH 9.0 sec.)

Updated the article to 15mpg, I just read it. Updated C&D Link
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
I tow a 6000# boat and make 16mpg doing it. That thing had better make better mileage then that if they are going to sell very many. Ouch 12 mpg :E

I was kind of thinking the same thing.:B
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 6000# boat and make 16mpg doing it. That thing had better make better mileage then that if they are going to sell very many. Ouch 12 mpg :E
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Car & Driver Instrumented Test of Nissan XD Cummins

Link to C&D Article

Highlights:

3/5 Star Rating

Highs:
Smooth, quiet torque, easy-going chassis tuned for stable towing.

Lows:
Overwhelming flab, no ambition to be great.

MSRP (Nissan XD Titan Cummins, Crew Cab, Long Bed):
$40k - $60k

Weight (Platinum Reserve):
7281 lbs.

Observed Fuel Economy (over 566 miles, including more than 200 miles towing a 2000 Tundra):
15 MPG

(note: original Car and Driver article in the above link showed 12 MPG; later corrected by C&D to 15 MPG in this link)

0-60 MPH:
9.2 sec.
(Ecodiesel 0-60 MPH 9.0 sec.)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobertRyan wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
I could see the ISV being used in more motorhomes and light duty commercial trucks. The big thing that Nissan has exclusivity on is the "M2" sequential turbo system that Cummins developed. That was developed specifically for Nissan as the ISV in commercial operations have a traditional valley turbocharger setup. Don't know if the exclusivity is because Nissan asked for it, or if Nissan locked it in as being the sole owner of it. There's a few other small differences between the ISV and Nissan motor, but the blocks are exactly the same.

I commented on that before. A few Motorhome builders would like to use something other than the Ford V10 and Ford chassis's

Looks like the Tiffin Allegro Breeze is using a Cummins 5.0 V8.

Allegro Breeze
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jus2shy wrote:
I could see the ISV being used in more motorhomes and light duty commercial trucks. The big thing that Nissan has exclusivity on is the "M2" sequential turbo system that Cummins developed. That was developed specifically for Nissan as the ISV in commercial operations have a traditional valley turbocharger setup. Don't know if the exclusivity is because Nissan asked for it, or if Nissan locked it in as being the sole owner of it. There's a few other small differences between the ISV and Nissan motor, but the blocks are exactly the same.

I commented on that before. A few Motorhome builders would like to use something other than the Ford V10 and Ford chassis's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video on the Titan... A couple observations this truck isn't EPA rated and the diesel sounds just like my 6.7 PSD.

Enjoy....

Link

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but how do you know that ?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I wonder if Cummins would be allowed to sell the new 5.0 to Toyota.

As was stated earlier, apparently Ram has an agreement with Cummins that only they can use the current 6.7.

Seems like Nissan might have the same sort of agreement with them ???

How weird would that be ? - The same US company's diesel in two competing Japanese trucks.

Nissan does NOT have exclusivity to the 5.0.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if Cummins would be allowed to sell the new 5.0 to Toyota.

As was stated earlier, apparently Ram has an agreement with Cummins that only they can use the current 6.7.

Seems like Nissan might have the same sort of agreement with them ???

How weird would that be ? - The same US company's diesel in two competing Japanese trucks.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Hope I don't regret buying the EcoD. But then again, I am not towing anything big.

I bet Dodge/RAM is asking themselves the same question.

I bet we aren't, we have a lock on the 6.7 as the only manufacture that can use that engine up to the 650/6500 series trucks. So we didn't need a V8 diesel. Ram went for fuel mileage for the 1500 diesel letting the consumer decide what is important to them. Want to tow a larger RV get the 2500, want to tow a mid sized RV or most any boat get the 1500 with the Eco-Diesel.

My 2004 Ram 5.9 was rated at 305/555 this V8 is rated at 315/555 so it is going to be a great towing engine and still make good fuel mileage. Not the same as the Eco-Diesel but should fall in around the Eco-Boost numbers. Looks like a good fit for Nissan and Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don

Rumours of a Tundra Diesel using this engine, but I think that and so do Cummins, that this engine will have more applications in a Motorhome, replacing the V10 Petrol engine. They keep on mentioning it as a replacement for a " V10" in their various PR releases

I recall reading an article that Toyota was going to use the 5.0 cummins in their truck, but they've been silent ever since. Perhaps their kicking around the Hino diesel option as well.

If Toyota would go the Hino route that would be slap #2 on the cummins brand with the Ram providing the first slap.

No would not be looking at Hino, engines are not light duty diesels, although Toyota owns the company. Cummins makes more sense as they have service and parts everywhere in NA

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
. . . Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don
IMO, Toyota is still taking a wait and see attitude on a 1/2 ton, diesel powered Tundra. They took two huge steps back from all the hoopla and rumors they generated two years ago about a possible introduction of a Cummins powered Tundra in 2016.

I believe Toyota is still very gun-shy from all the marketing issues that resulted after the introduction of the 2007 Tundra. The subsequent downturn in sales in 2008 and beyond impacted the Tundra more so than the Big 3, 1/2 tons. Although they've dominated most facets of the car market at one time or another, the 1/2 ton truck segment has been a slippery slope for Toyota.

Anyhow, get the impression they've already got all the necessary R&D completed for a 1/2 ton diesel rollout in 2017--when the new 2017 CAFE standards take affect. It goes without saying they're closely watching sales of the Ecodiesel and future sales of the Nissan XD Cummins. IMO, even the slightest negative trend in the sales of these two trucks would give pause to Toyota and cause them to rethink any 1/2 ton diesel plans---even at the 11th hour.

Toyota is a very conservative company, and they don't jump head first into the water without knowing how deep it is.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobertRyan wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Hope I don't regret buying the EcoD. But then again, I am not towing anything big.

I bet Dodge/RAM is asking themselves the same question.

I bet we aren't, we have a lock on the 6.7 as the only manufacture that can use that engine up to the 650/6500 series trucks. So we didn't need a V8 diesel. Ram went for fuel mileage for the 1500 diesel letting the consumer decide what is important to them. Want to tow a larger RV get the 2500, want to tow a mid sized RV or most any boat get the 1500 with the Eco-Diesel.

My 2004 Ram 5.9 was rated at 305/555 this V8 is rated at 315/555 so it is going to be a great towing engine and still make good fuel mileage. Not the same as the Eco-Diesel but should fall in around the Eco-Boost numbers. Looks like a good fit for Nissan and Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don

Rumours of a Tundra Diesel using this engine, but I think that and so do Cummins, that this engine will have more applications in a Motorhome, replacing the V10 Petrol engine. They keep on mentioning it as a replacement for a " V10" in their various PR releases

I recall reading an article that Toyota was going to use the 5.0 cummins in their truck, but they've been silent ever since. Perhaps their kicking around the Hino diesel option as well.

If Toyota would go the Hino route that would be slap #2 on the cummins brand with the Ram providing the first slap.