cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2500 Ram payload

dcpac
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying a Ram Outdoorsman crew cab with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 axle. The Ram website states the payload is 2926. Does anyone know if this payload is true? I worry there is some small print or something I might be missing.

Thanks
66 REPLIES 66

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Better not get checked in BC then.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

blt2ski
Wilber,

I HAVE been pulled over by DOT here in Wa st, HIGHER than my rigs gvwr per the door sticker, I have yet to get an overweight ticket. NOR WILL I as long as noted, I have a paid for license greater than what I weigh. OR I am not over the engineered road bed design limits. THAT is what LEO/CVEO's are supposed to enforce per a federal law here in the states. That is 20K per axel, or 500 lbs per inch width of tire. SO yes, I could run down the road at 20K gvwr and be legal from a weight stand point in my C2500 with 4 10" tires. Also assumes I am equal loaded per axel and tire. If not, I get an overweight ticket, I also have 8 person hours to redistribute the load such that I am legal. There are other things that can come into play where I might not have to be under these limits....BUT, I will pay for this ability to be overweight. I WILL NOT under any reason shape or form be put in jail.

On the other hand. I have to STOP my C2500 in a field test, its about 25' at 20 mph on a level surface. If I do not do this. the truck is impounded for having a failed brake system. My C2500 would probably FAIL this test. So another fine, truck sits where it is, or needs to be flatbed truck or trailer hauled to the shop, brakes fixed before I am leave. OR, I need to unload the truck to a point in which the brakes are considered working.

Yes, I too can under pay my license as I have with my C2500 to 8000 lbs. I am NOT legal at my door sticker of 8600 ls. If pulled over, I would be fined for being 600 lbs overweight, OR, more than likely, since I am under my tire width ratings, I would be given a 10 day increase my paid for gvw to 10K lbs. Had this happen in my international dumptruck. Pulled over at 27K lbs, good to 29K per the tire widths, but had a paid for license of 26K. Door tag is in the owners manual in my office. Max is 18200. No overweight ticket!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Buy one of them GM 2500's, they can tow anything. There is a guy in our park with a 2500 DM and a Landmark Key West. 41 Ft, GVW 18K, Dry 15.1 K, Dry PW 3395 lbs according to Heartland's website.

Wow, that's a big load!! Pretty sure I won't be going that big anytime soon.

Hope not. Assuming he has a bare bones truck and doesn't put a hitch or anything else in it but fuel and himself, or anything in the 5'er, he will only be 120 lbs over the advertised max payload of a 2016 Sierra 2500 DM..

Anyway, apologies for interrupting the thread.

He'd be legal in Wa st IF he has a high enough PAID for GVW. Only issue this person has to worry about would be warranty with GM. Many jurisdictions DO NOT care what the manufacture door tag says.

Marty

So you are saying you can put a 20K GVWR on a 3/4 T truck as long as you pay for it?

Depends on the state I suppose. In mine, and most I'm aware of, it boils down to what you pay for on your registration.

I can register my truck for a higher GVW in BC as well. The province is quite happy to take my money but it doesn't change the truck's GVWR.

On the other hand, if I don't need the trucks GVWR, I can register it at a lower weight and save a few bucks. Kind of like when airlines register some of their aircraft at weights lower than manufacturers max weights in order to save on airport landing fees.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Buy one of them GM 2500's, they can tow anything. There is a guy in our park with a 2500 DM and a Landmark Key West. 41 Ft, GVW 18K, Dry 15.1 K, Dry PW 3395 lbs according to Heartland's website.

Hope not. Assuming he has a bare bones truck and doesn't put a hitch or anything else in it but fuel and himself, or anything in the 5'er, he will only be 120 lbs over the advertised max payload of a 2016 Sierra 2500 DM..

He'd be legal in Wa st IF he has a high enough PAID for GVW. Only issue this person has to worry about would be warranty with GM. Many jurisdictions DO NOT care what the manufacture door tag says.

Marty

So you are saying you can put a 20K GVWR on a 3/4 T truck as long as you pay for it?

Depends on the state I suppose. In mine, and most I'm aware of, it boils down to what you pay for on your registration.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Marty

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

blt2ski
wilber1 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Good deal SouthPaw. Obviously I prefer the Ram as well! I don't think you can go wrong with the Ford, GM or Ram gas engines.

Oh, I can go wrong with the Ford....it won't fit in my garage 🙂

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good deal SouthPaw. Obviously I prefer the Ram as well! I don't think you can go wrong with the Ford, GM or Ram gas engines.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
I can't believe I'm going to admit this - I'm considering a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73, and the payload sticker is just a bit over 3,000 pounds.

Have to admit, the truck road pretty decent unloaded compared to a GM 2500. However, the styling of the dash and some of the technology is lacking compared to a comparable GM.

Look, I love my Ram and have ZERO qualms about it. I would almost NEVER consider a GM, but I would encourage you to test drive the GM 6.0 and the Ram 6.4. From what I understand, the GM feels stronger than it is rated, and the Ram feels weaker than it is rated.

The Ram with coils or factory air will probably ride a lot better than the leaf spring GM though.

I've driven both. Honestly, the Ram rode nicer and the motor seemed more responsive.

The GM is a tried and true motor and frame. So they both deserve equal consideration IMO.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
SouthpawHD wrote:
I can't believe I'm going to admit this - I'm considering a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73, and the payload sticker is just a bit over 3,000 pounds.

Have to admit, the truck road pretty decent unloaded compared to a GM 2500. However, the styling of the dash and some of the technology is lacking compared to a comparable GM.

Look, I love my Ram and have ZERO qualms about it. I would almost NEVER consider a GM, but I would encourage you to test drive the GM 6.0 and the Ram 6.4. From what I understand, the GM feels stronger than it is rated, and the Ram feels weaker than it is rated.

The Ram with coils or factory air will probably ride a lot better than the leaf spring GM though.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

geoman53
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 mega cab with 3.73 and 6.4L. My sticker says 3129 payload. Way more than I need but nice to have.
2014 Starcraft 245ds,
2007 Durango, 5.7 Hemi old
2014 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.4 Hemi new

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My 2500 Dodge/Cummins as most trucks this age have no payload stickers.

Gee whiz wonder what folks did without a tire placard payload sticker.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides