cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

??? about TC on truck 24/7

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is ok or not. I have a crew cab dully truck, and the tc is 4500lbs. If I leave it on the truck sitting all year with jacks down, I lift the tc up half way to lighten it a bit. will it still hurt the springs? or wear it out? I take the truck and camper to work once a week or once every two weeks, just to run it.
some guys here on this tc forum has their camper on all year but uses it.
like to have the tc on the truck ready to go when I decide to use it at the last min.
any thoughts?
;)02' 6.0 (gas) CHEVY SILVERADO CREWCAB DULLY
Crossroad sunset trail 26rb TT.
2010 8.5 NorthStar Arrow TC.
Homemade boat trailer/redneck 12'sea king.
13 REPLIES 13

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
I always released my Fast Guns and lifted the weight off of the tires and suspension. Took about 5 min.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Desert1667
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't worry about my spring pack being effected by my 2900 lb Lance,
My Camper lives on my truck.

Desert

mdw60
Explorer
Explorer
great replys, I might add, I will take the tie downs off while sitting. the tc jacks might hold about 40% of its weight.
;)02' 6.0 (gas) CHEVY SILVERADO CREWCAB DULLY
Crossroad sunset trail 26rb TT.
2010 8.5 NorthStar Arrow TC.
Homemade boat trailer/redneck 12'sea king.

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've had mine on for about 2 years now. I have not noticed anything that has changed on the truck or camper.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Leaving the TC on the truck 24/7 is fine, just don't use the jacks unless you release the tie-downs.

Not necessary.

Measure the truck unloaded. Then when you lower the jacks, don't raise the truck any higher than what you measured.

-or if you are worried about the sky falling as others have predicted, raise it halfway to the unloaded height.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
Gun people ask a similar question regarding leaving magazines loaded for long periods of time. The answer from people who design springs is that the spring wears through movement and not load.

If I wanted to leave my camper on the truck it wouldn't concern me a bit. The only reason I don't leave them attached 24/7/365 is that I have heated storage for the truck but the overhead clearance is only 7 feet.
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...our camper (varies from ~1140 LBS to 1390 LBS depending on what is stored in it) has been on our truck (2500HD Silverado gasser ext.cab, 2004.5) since May of 2005; that's 8 years this past May (minus a 4 month storage stint over this entire time) !

I measured the distance from top of axle to bottom of bed on both sides when the truck was new, before loading camper (for various reasons), and after deciding to remove the camper at home, foregoing paid storage for the 1st time this October, the axle-to-bed distance is virtually the same on the unloaded Chevy (only varies by about 1/8th of an inch left to right).

The rear springs are as rock-solid unloaded today as they were when the truck came out of the showroom in 2004.

I suppose if your camper were perhaps 2000~4000 LBS sitting on your truck for 8 years, there could(?) be a noticeable change in your rear suspension...

*we have no suspension aids on the truck whatsoever since new; we don't and haven't run the jacks down to relieve weight over the past 8 years (with the exception of the 4 month stint as noted above). Your mileage may vary
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The springs might start to fatigue slightly after several years, but other than that, there is no "wear" because just sitting there, there is no movement. Wear requires movement.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave mine on 24/7. It's fine, does no damage to anything if you just leave it alone. Its a 2004.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
12V Cummins wrote:
It doesn't hurt the truck nor camper. Best comparison is guys with utility beds on their truck with 1500lbs of tools in it. Those beds aint light and stay on the truck for the majority of its life

NOT a valid comparison.

The utility beds are NOT equipped with jacks.

Leaving the TC on the truck 24/7 is fine, just don't use the jacks unless you release the tie-downs.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't hurt the truck nor camper. Best comparison is guys with utility beds on their truck with 1500lbs of tools in it. Those beds aint light and stay on the truck for the majority of its life

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it ...

It can easily damage the TC.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Rockrash
Explorer
Explorer
If I were going to leave my camper on 24/7 I think I would also jack it up to keep weight off of the tires/suspension. Bit, if you drive it once a week, I wouldn't worry about it. That's my .02