cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Tabs Installed

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Well I pull the trigger to and install Air Tabs on my camper. Hoping to cut the wind noise around the passenger door and reduce bugs. We will see how it works. ART

55 REPLIES 55

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My jet pilot friend says they create a reverse NACA affect, whatever TF that is. He put them on his 40' DP and the car hauler he pulls with it and gained .5 mpg
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

capterik
Explorer
Explorer
Not that heavy, truck has so much capacity it wouldnt make a difference, weight wise if I removed them. Helps make it even more stable when off the truck, kinda like outriggers, with blocks I have, I can also have them down when lifting off the truck, camper is real high when removing.
2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
capterik wrote:

I've had these on my camper for at least 5 years, not sure about fuel savings, but it does help with suction dirtying up rear end. Not perfect, but reduced.

Wow... two ways to lift the TC (is your TC that heavy?

Jacks
&
Stable lifts
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
The air foils are interesting. I was wondering how they would affect my Avion, which has a rounded shape both on the top and the sides.

This is off topic, but those are the highest steps I think I have ever seen. Just an observation, and I don't mean to shift the thread.

capterik
Explorer
Explorer

I've had these on my camper for at least 5 years, not sure about fuel savings, but it does help with suction dirtying up rear end. Not perfect, but reduced.
2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked out Sleepy's Air Foil, in Truck Camper University?
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
bjbear wrote:

If they pan out, I will then consider putting them on the rear. The objective there will be to firstly reduce the amount of dirt that accumulates on the back. Also to clear the area during rain so my rear view camera is clearer (I use it full time when towing my trailer or car). Secondly, although not that important to me, it would be nice to see some fuel economy improvements.

I'll post once I get them installed and have some experience with them.

Is there anything new on your use of Air Tabs on the rear?
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi harold,

As always I bow to your VASTLY superior knowledge....(now which way is Mecca?)

harold1946 wrote:

Thats not a TC, its a cabover camper.
I am still scratching my head with Harold's reply. What is the difference between a TC and a cabover camper...:? I have owned several TC's and they ALL had a cabover bed......:s

Not to worry; I am just having fun with Don. It's a form of intertainment for me.;)
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi harold,

harold1946 wrote:

Mecca Saudi Arabia or Mecca California? :B
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi harold,

harold1946 wrote:

I am still scratching my head with Harold's reply. What is the difference between a TC and a cabover camper...:? I have owned several TC's and they ALL had a cabover bed......:s

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi harold,

harold1946 wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
James' wrote:
I would also think they would work well on the sides near the rear... no?

I think it depends on your objective. For right now, I am trying to dampen the noise when driving. The cab can be very noisy depending on the strength and direction of the wind. The results that Art got seem to be pretty promising IMHO. I would also like to get rid of at least some of the bugs on the front bulkhead as well, but that is of less import.

If they pan out, I will then consider putting them on the rear. The objective there will be to firstly reduce the amount of dirt that accumulates on the back. Also to clear the area during rain so my rear view camera is clearer (I use it full time when towing my trailer or car). Secondly, although not that important to me, it would be nice to see some fuel economy improvements.

I'll post once I get them installed and have some experience with them.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
i wonder if it would help with bugs in my unusual application where my camper to truck roof height is bigger because of my flatbed setup. i really dont have any loud wind noise but if it could help with the bugs...that would be great. heck i get more wind noise from my mirrors than anything else.
hmmm. i wonder. maybe worth a try. i wonder how hard/easy it is to clean up the surface if you need to remove them.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
James, I think you are right, The guy I bought these off of stated it would help reduce the drag behind the camper. Also might help keep a little cleaner. I'm going to add some before heading west for my annual hunting trip in Montana. High winds in the Dakota's will be a true test. ART