Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aluminum F150 under test since 2011

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

link

They were driving them and didn't know since 2011 ,construction company and a mining operation,don't look too bad and they didn't dissolve to powder eh?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-
22 REPLIES 22

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
jwduke wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
didn't audi have that A8 all aluminum car mainstreamed 10 years ago?

Didn't Buick have a aluminum V6, 50 years ago???

Yep, Land Rover bought the rights and used them up until 2004. Albeit a V8 version. Also Land Rovers have had AL bodies on steel frames since at least the mid 80's.

All this worry and speculation is just from the uninformed. I would expect this will be a home run for Ford and that within a few years all the big 3 follow suit. Meanwhile Ford will wrongfully claim they had an industry first and are a trendsetter...

And I like Fords!
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW
B&W Turnover, 18K Companion

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
didn't audi have that A8 all aluminum car mainstreamed 10 years ago?

Didn't Buick have a aluminum V6, 50 years ago???
'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
They (Grumman, Utilimaster, et al) have been making box trucks, walk in vans aluminum for decades.

Jon boats aluminum for 60 to 80 years. Once you start modding and using wrong hardware or place treated lumber galvonic pitting occurs.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

They quit making the Ranger. But I'll tell you. My 1985 2.8 V6 long bed ranger was the best vehicle we ever owned. I towed more than I should have with it, and traded it 14 years after I bought it new. It was a tough little truck.

THey didn't quit making it, they just quit making it for the US market.

http://www.ford.co.uk/CommercialVehicles/Ranger

And as alluded to a small diesel is available in it.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
pappcam wrote:
Fast Mopar wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:

I think that Ford made a great decision to make the F-150 out of aluminum, and drop the tiny Ranger. You can get the F-150 for only a few dollars a month more than the Ranger, and now they are about the same weight, and will get about the same mileage too.

Fred.

The aluminum F-150 will be a success I am sure, but don't knock the Ranger. The Ranger was allowed to die on the vine. Ford (and GM and Chrysler) always keep their full size trucks up to date and have all done an exceptional job on the full size offerings, but not on smaller trucks. A modern crew cab Ranger with a 4 cyl Ecoboost or 4 cyl diesel would be a top seller, but Ford chose to let the old Ranger wither and die with an outdated design and old-fashioned powerplants. At least GM has decided to do the right thing and update the Colorado/Canyon. So many people say that the market no longer demands a compact or midsize truck, and that is bogus. For many, the full size trucks (regardless of how great and efficient they are) are just too big for daily city use. The market is there.

The imports pretty well have the small truck market cornered. I see an awful lot of Tacomas and a few Frontiers on the road. I hardly see any Rangers or Canyons/Colorados anymore. The Dakotas sold well for a while but they couldn't compete with the Japanese anymore.

They quit making the Ranger. But I'll tell you. My 1985 2.8 V6 long bed ranger was the best vehicle we ever owned. I towed more than I should have with it, and traded it 14 years after I bought it new. It was a tough little truck.

agree 100% with you. I've personally owned 3 Ford Rangers from the late 80/early 90's and also a Bronco II of similar vintage.

ALL were great trucks and to say at times I didn't treat them nicely would be an understatement......but they all took it and kept coming back for more. All had the 2.8/9 V6.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, mispost...
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
So there's a Max of 700# taken out of the heaviest truck, probably the SCrew with 6.5" bed.

But will they leave the GVWR the same? If so, does that mean the all SCrew payloads are going to be North of 2000# payload(even without HD Payload)?

What I really wonder about is the suspension. Right now it seems that the suspensions are tuned to the curb weight of the empty truck, as most of these are used as "grocery-getters" and commuters. But then when you load it to the GVWR, you're wobbling all over.

With the new light weight trucks, are they going to de-tune the suspension even more? And if you then load them up to GVWR will the wobbly ride get even worse than it is now?

Think what the new Fords may need is an adjustable 4pt air-ride suspension like RAMs. Just can't imagine a suspension that is good over the full range of possible weights (GVWs) these trucks may have.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Hey my Jeep has an aluminium hood! I just hope the insurance companies don't see it as an opportunity to increase rates. I also think GM and RAM will follow Ford's lead on the new material - don't think they can afford not to.

GM has already announced aluminum for the next 1500.No word from Ram yet.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
pappcam wrote:
Fast Mopar wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:

I think that Ford made a great decision to make the F-150 out of aluminum, and drop the tiny Ranger. You can get the F-150 for only a few dollars a month more than the Ranger, and now they are about the same weight, and will get about the same mileage too.

Fred.

The aluminum F-150 will be a success I am sure, but don't knock the Ranger. The Ranger was allowed to die on the vine. Ford (and GM and Chrysler) always keep their full size trucks up to date and have all done an exceptional job on the full size offerings, but not on smaller trucks. A modern crew cab Ranger with a 4 cyl Ecoboost or 4 cyl diesel would be a top seller, but Ford chose to let the old Ranger wither and die with an outdated design and old-fashioned powerplants. At least GM has decided to do the right thing and update the Colorado/Canyon. So many people say that the market no longer demands a compact or midsize truck, and that is bogus. For many, the full size trucks (regardless of how great and efficient they are) are just too big for daily city use. The market is there.

The imports pretty well have the small truck market cornered. I see an awful lot of Tacomas and a few Frontiers on the road. I hardly see any Rangers or Canyons/Colorados anymore. The Dakotas sold well for a while but they couldn't compete with the Japanese anymore.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Fast Mopar wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Fred.

2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

danager
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has quite a bit of technology going into this vehicle. One advancement is a new bonding agent that is formulated to prevent the reaction between the two types of metals. Yes, similar products have been around for a while, they just made it stronger and more durable.

I am counting down the moments until there is a 2015 XLT in my driveway.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

Fred.

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just hope they got the primer/paint process right? after seeing all the paint peeling off of the aluminum panels from different manuf. for the last 10 years it scares me to think what may happen with a bad prep/paint process!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:

link

They were driving them and didn't know since 2011 ,construction company and a mining operation,don't look too bad and they didn't dissolve to powder eh?

THis is a picture from the link above.

Who keeps saying that a aluminum body is "New"? Anyone hear of Range Rover? One of the reasons they where so popular in Africa is the aluminum body. It would not rust, and held up best to elephants and rhino's hitting them.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com