cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of owning a truck camper

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd start up this thread for the benefit of newbies and those who are thinking about purchasing a truck camper. So what are the benefits of owing a truck camper? I was able to come up with eleven:

1. Unmatched Versatility (can tow and be unloaded at campsite)
2. No Registration or Insurance Fees (in most cases)
3. Superb Maneuverability
4. Easy to Drive
5. Outstanding Boondocking Capability
6. Cheaper to Maintain
7. Better Fuel Economy
8. Easy to Store
9. Great Bug-Out Vehicle
10. Upgrade Independence
11. Excellent Depreciation Value

A full article on this topic can be found at the link below:

Eleven Benefits of Truck Camper Ownership

Can you think of any others?
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
63 REPLIES 63

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Maneuverability, park anywhere and tow a trailer when we need to are the big wins for us. I especially like camping in what is listed as tent sites. Most campgrounds were we have asked have no problem with it and it is usually cheaper. Sometimes we get no hookups, which is not a problem, usually there is electricity but we don't always bother connecting. Most campgrounds that have tent sites would rather we parked there instead of taking one of their big sites for our little rig.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Maneuverability is a huge one for us. As I watch people struggle to navigate giant motorhomes, trailers and 5th wheels around gas stations, parking lots and campgrounds, I am relieved we own a truck camper.

Now, the same could be said for B's and small C's, but the benefit with the truck and camper combo, is that you can change/upgrade either component independent of the other. So, if one decides it's time for a new truck, that doesn't mean the camper has to be swapped out too . . . and vice-versa.

Same goes for service on the house/camper or the chasis/truck.

Furthermore, most B or C owners wouldn't take their rig to the local home improvement store to pick up bricks, or sheets of plywood.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I like to move every four days or so and the TC is so easy to set up / take down.
Also, when you're on the road you can park places where the 5ers / MHs / TTs won't fit. If I see something that looks interesting I stop...frequently I can park in a standard parking spot.
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
May I add the following
(1) They are relatively cheap
(2) Large range of Pickups and other vehicles can carry them
(3) Can be used on small Bush tracks
(4) Free to tow another RV or vehicle behind them
(5) Can leave them behind and use your Pickup to do things.
(6) Can cross rivers semi submerged(In Australia)
(7) Do not need a RV Storage area if not required.
(8) Can be used in Jungle, Desert and Bush areas.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One feature of truck camping that hasn't been mentioned is living high. Only truck campers have beds up that far off the ground, and on occasion we have been able to enjoy an ocean or lake view while laying in bed sipping coffee in the morning while we look overtop shrubbery or lower units beside us.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
Well, It looks like Buzzcut1's reply would qualify for a Lance commercial and 69 Avion's the ultimate versatile RV! As for me, my vice is bass fishing and sometimes the action doesn't pick up for a couple of days because of whether or they are off the bite. I don't want to pitch a tent and a motel would be too expensive. Also, you need a special license to double tow behind a 5er. I'd rather camp out at a site than the launch parking area so a motorhome option is out. One more thing, you can secure the boat at the camp site with the tc and take the truck into town for dinner or supplies for the camper.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt that Bryan has one of the most versatile TC set ups in the world. With extra LP, water, solar, etc. he can stay for very long periods of time. Very few TCs can compete with his rig.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
rooney77 wrote:
campingken wrote:
bka0721, (haven't heard anyone use BKA "Better Known As" in a while.)

Can you carry 4 bales of hay plus firewood inside your Lance? Campers are great but they aren't "one size fits all" RV's.

Benefits of truck campers not problems with truck campers. That's how I read the title.
Actually, yes I can carry Hay Bales and firewood. But busting cattle and bucking hale bales as a kid I would never put hay in a LQ (Living Quarters is what we called the bunk in front of a horse trailer). I would just load them onto the roof of my Lance Camper, like other Horsemen do with their campers.

I never see problems, just solutions.

b

Bryan (bka0721) has one of the best TC setups I've ever seen. Redundancy for all of his systems including water, propane, solar, and battery. I may have even missed one or two. 🙂

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I just keep the hay in bale sized bags in the front tack of the sundowner. no fuss no muss
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
rooney77 wrote:
campingken wrote:

Can you carry 4 bales of hay plus firewood inside your Lance? Campers are great but they aren't "one size fits all" RV's.

Benefits of truck campers not problems with truck campers. That's how I read the title.
Actually, yes I can carry Hay Bales and firewood. But busting cattle and bucking hale bales as a kid I would never put hay in a LQ (Living Quarters is what we called the bunk in front of a horse trailer). I would just load them onto the roof of my Lance Camper, like other Horsemen do with their campers.

I never see problems, just solutions.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
campingken wrote:

1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

campingken
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
BTW my insurance company, Safeco, tells me my camper is 'personal property' covered under my truck's policy when on the road, and covered under my homeowner's policy if at the house.

I'd seriously ask my agent about the personal property aspect to your camper. You may have to increase the AMOUNT of coverage to include the camper with your other personal property, but that's got to be pennies on the dollar compared to a separate policy I would think...

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
One of the GREAT benefits I like about my camper is that I can decide to spend the night without having to drive home from various events. For example; my grandson's birthday party. Two hour drive in the heavy holiday-heading-home traffic of the Veteran's Day weekend on Monday evening in the SF bay area would be over 4 hours on this occasion. Instead, I just went to the camper and slept. Woke up around 2am, so I headed home. No worries!!

I've done this on other events and occasions, like leaving a ball game parking lot, Christmas shopping, etc. Too much traffic, too much drinking, etc. just take a nap and call it when you are ready to go.