cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blew Out Black Water Tank Jayco 23B

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
I hooked up the Flush King to clean out our black water tank, turned on the garden hose, then started doing something else. This was a big mistake! I forgot about filling the black water tank! I ran down to the camper and turned off the water, but too late, the damage was done. But I am a little puzzled about what happened.

I found the black water tank laying on the ground under the camper. It had separated from the toilet flange fitting and broke the metal holding straps. However, there was no liquid INSIDE the camper. Apparently the toilet valve held.

The black water tank has two openings in its top: one larger for the toilet and one smaller for the vent line. I do not understand why no water escaped though the vent, unless it was plugged. I'll be checking it out this weekend when I have time to work on it.

Both openings in the tank have/had rubber grommets into which the ABS plastic pipe fit. Black ABS cement was used to seal these fittings.

No fittings were damaged, so I will reassemble everything and replace the straps.

Questions: How should I prepare the plastic pipe and rubber grommet for the cement? Does the cement require any kind of activator / primer to be applied to the fittings?

Thanks.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD
20 REPLIES 20

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect some toilet paper floated and that is what plugged the vent.

The reason I believe the staps failed the tank blew up like a ballon. If you look there are very large flat areas on the bottom and top of the tank with very little if any support.

I would be concerned it the seams where the upper and lower sections of the tank are connected have been compromised.

BigSkyTrailer_G
Explorer
Explorer
If nothing else, this thread will have me checking my Black water tank straps pretty soon!

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, mine were loose, but I molded them around the edges to achieve a much tighter fit. Still, I think the brackets are the main support and the straps are probably meant to be a back-up.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has me rethinking what those tank straps are really for.

I thought they were safety straps, in case the tank somehow comes off its lip, a top the frame while driving.

But here, many are implying they should help hold the tank. What concerns me about this, is every strap on each tank on my camper...are loose. I can fit my hand in between the straps and the tanks.

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the repair is complete. I verified that the vent was clear, so it had to have been the weight of the water that caused the tank to drop. I did notice softness in the underside of the floor around some of the support brackets. I had to reposition a few to screw into solid wood. I found the metal straps from a local mobile home supply company. and replaced the two thinner straps with a total of four thicker straps, two of which I attached to the metal frame of the camper. While down there, I replaced the black water gate valve.

Guess I'll have to wait until next season to test it our properly, but it seemed to turn out pretty well.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
And that's why every black tank flusher I ever saw says to leave the black tank valve OPEN while using the flusher.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Mobile home supply. Straps are used to secure them to foundation.

Great idea!

Thanks.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mobile home supply. Straps are used to secure them to foundation.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:

Any ideas as to where I could find galvanized metal straps of the right gauge, width, and length?

Find a sheet metal fabricator in your area and have it made to your specifications. You should be able to have this done at a reasonable cost. Much of the perforated strapping at hardware stores is not very strong.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:

Any ideas as to where I could find galvanized metal straps of the right gauge, width, and length?

Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace/True Value they should all have what you are looking for.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You must find out if the vent is completely open. Sometimes the vent pipe drops down and rests on the bottom of the tank. Also check if there is scrap from the cutout a inside. If the tank was overfilled, it should have poured onto the roof. Sure, check the straps, but nothing will hold a blocked tank.

My thoughts exactly. I hope to be able to check into this today or tomorrow. I'll post what I find.

Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You must find out if the vent is completely open. Sometimes the vent pipe drops down and rests on the bottom of the tank. Also check if there is scrap from the cutout a inside. If the tank was overfilled, it should have poured onto the roof. Sure, check the straps, but nothing will hold a blocked tank.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Strapping will hold the tank just fine. Just not with those idiotic staples the factory uses.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There was a previous posting on the U-strut but I could not find it. Will search more!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker