cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BOY I REALLY DID IT NOW!!

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Well I think I am in a pickle. While I was d checking my wheels logs to make sure they where tight, I notice that 2 of the wheel logs on one wheel (Not the thread ) Just the nuts are striped this are made of aluminum. My question is if I do get a flat will roadside assistant have the proper tools to remove this tire?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
31 REPLIES 31

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Is he talking about the stud spinning inside the Hub?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
kennyd63 wrote:
Well I think I am in a pickle. While I was d checking my wheels logs to make sure they where tight, I notice that 2 of the wheel logs on one wheel (Not the thread ) Just the nuts are striped this are made of aluminum. My question is if I do get a flat will roadside assistant have the proper tools to remove this tire?:M

Maybe this young Burmese boy was visiting your campground and striping your logs? (He is making them pickle-colored!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

But seriously, as others have said, you need to fix this NOW while you are at home rather than have it become a major problem out on the road.

That made my day, I can't believe you found a picture of someone striping logs. :B

Like others have said, it is foolish to leave on a trip knowing that something is wrong. It would be a lot easier and less expensive to repair locally and at your leisure rather than on the side of a road in BFE.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I believe he means the nut flats are rounded and I agree, get it fixed now before you hit the road again. If you don't have the tools or the inclination to do it yourself then take it to a tire shop and have them do it for you......before you have a problem on the road.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHY would anyone GO on a trip with a known issue :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Some interesting replies to the OP's question ! I get the impression he is saying the hex shape of the wheel lug nuts are rounded off. Those thin covers are typically stainless steel, over a solid steel nut. Unless they are horribly rounded off, it's likely a proper sized SIX POINT socket will fit tighly enough to remove them.

Then they can be replaced by some quality, solid steel lug nuts. If he wanted chrome ones, he will need to spend the money on good ones, as the cheap ones tend to rust very soon.

I agree with the above poster who said to always use a torque wrench, and also, always use only a six point socket.

And just one more thing, keep those professional air hose jockeys, with their air tools, far away from your trailer.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Some interesting replies to the OP's question ! I get the impression he is saying the hex shape of the wheel lug nuts are rounded off. Those thin covers are typically stainless steel, over a solid steel nut. Unless they are horribly rounded off, it's likely a proper sized SIX POINT socket will fit tighly enough to remove them.

Then they can be replaced by some quality, solid steel lug nuts. If he wanted chrome ones, he will need to spend the money on good ones, as the cheap ones tend to rust very soon.

I agree with the above poster who said to always use a torque wrench, and alsoo, always use only a six point socket.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
kennyd63 wrote:

Maybe this young Burmese boy was visiting your campground and striping your logs? (He is making them pickle-colored!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

But seriously, as others have said, you need to fix this NOW while you are at home rather than have it become a major problem out on the road.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of how or what is stripped, it's not something the OP needs to deal with in the case of a flat on the road. Get it fixed now, or pay a lot more to get it fixed on the highway...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:

Not sure but I think he may be talking about the lug nuts being rounded and not stripped. Hard to tell from the description.

The only way he could say the nuts are stripped and not the stud would be to remove the nut. In which case he wouldn't have to ask if roadside assistance could remove the nuts. :h
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Also, USE a torque wrench. It is very easy to over-tighten aluminum and stretch/strip threads. A properly used torque wrench will help solve this issue for you.

Replace now and use the torque wrench from here on out.
I love me some land yachting

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fix it now and be done with it.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
No brainer, replace them now
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the aluminum lug nut covers are a pain. They look pretty but dent under even the slightest amount of torque. Unless the lug socket is deep and a perfect fit they will distort.

My TT has regular nuts, my TV has the pretty shiny one to match the shiny rims. We love our glitter.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Some lugs, for some stupid reason, have a thin cover of metal over them that is chromed. If this is the case you should be able to cut and pry that off using a dremal tool and pliers/screwdriver. Once that is off the lug underneath will be actual steel and a smaller socket should fit it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace the lugs now before you need to do it on the roadside. If you can't get it off with the right size socket, you can hammer on the next size or try metic to get one that fits tight.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread