cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the gears in my suburban

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to change the gears in my suburban (2008 5.3L 4sp auto), but not sure how much of a change to make. I currently have 3.73 gears, and was thinking 4.30 because 4.10 doesn't change much, and 4.56 may be a little too much. I have read many accounts where people thought it was great, some where people wish they had gone more, but never of someone wishing they had not changed anything. Has anyone here changed their gears and regretted the decision? If so why? Anyone think 4.30 is the wrong choice?

Last but not least, just to be clear, I am NOT trying to save on gas by changing gears. I do not plan on ever getting my money back, just trying to give my suburban a little boost in towing power.
55 REPLIES 55

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I think this is a good idea OP. Seems every answer on this forum ends with get a 3/4 Ton. Gets really really old.

Jeremiah
Well some people are slow learners and need to be told more than once.

Others never learn.

Just about everyone here started out with less TV than ideal.

Most of us learned along the way, and no longer do that.

I still have serious doubts about the OPs ability to successfully change his own gears. His knowledge base doesn't seem to be that of someone that has done it, or anything approaching it before.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blt2ski
intheburbs,

Are you saying the SF 9.5" RA in my 8 lug GM C2500 is not worth having? or its going to blow up on me? I've had more issues with GM's POS auto transmissions than I have the SF9.5 RA's I've had. 30K blowup and get a rebuild auto trans like clockwork.......The one in my C2500 is the first TH400/4l80E derivative I've had with more than 40K miles. Actually has over 100K which is unbelievable in my book!
With this said, the GM RA's in the 15 series rigs with 5 or 6 lugs, do not do well when subjected to heat via towing or equal, generally speaking. So upgrading trucks, getting an aftermarket cover that hold more oil, has fins for better cooling as mentioned is probably a good idea!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I think this is a good idea OP. Seems every answer on this forum ends with get a 3/4 Ton. Gets really really old.

You know what got really old for me? Having breakdowns while on vacation because my half-ton Suburban's rear axle failed. I maintained it religiously, checked my weights on every trip, never was over, yet I had two catastrophic failures of the rear axle. It was a lot of fun explaining to my kids why we were spending four days in Youngstown, OH and Mitchell SD, instead of places like Colonial Williamsburg, Rushmore or Yellowstone.

When I sold that truck, it was on rear axle number four. Half-ton trucks just can't cut it with their semifloater rear ends. They're not meant for heavy/long-distance towing. I have a 10.5" full floater in my 3/4 ton Burb that AA rates to 10,000 lbs.

My current trailer is the heaviest I've ever pulled, yet it's also the least stressful to tow. No sway, no push-pull from semis, just a pleasant, stable ride. Eagle-eyed readers will grasp the enormity of that statement.

I'm just trying to share my experiences, hoping others might be able to avoid the problems I had, trying to do too much with a half-ton.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

I walked that road and I am very glad to be back in my Half Ton coming from a one ton LB CC Dually.

I have a F150 with the 8.8 rear axle. I’ve about got it set up for towing a smaller TT the way I like it.

Have you thought about getting a finned differential Cover? I’ve thought about it but I am not sure if it actually helps that much. They are cheap enough for sure. One big thing I like is the fact that you can buy the diff covers with a tap that you can install a temp sending unit. Something I would very much like to have.

I do think investing in a good OBD2 monitoring system such as the Edge System is prudent.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Make sure that V10 is the 3 valve version if you can find one.

Never available in the Excursion.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your 2008 Burb still has the 4L60E in it, you probably don't want to re-gear it so it can tow in OD, because the OD gears in those transmissions are reportedly weak, or so I've been told, and read in multiple places such as this site.

Another thing you do NOT want to do is regear and end up turning the same RPMs in OD as you were in direct before the gear change. You've gained nothing from a bunch of work and expense.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since only 2WD and you can DIY it, then it's certainly worth a try, if you don't like it you can change it back. Probably ought to add a trans cooler if you haven't already.

My only caution is that doing mods to make a 1500 tow better is a slippery slope. I went down this path with a 2000 Expedition until I came to the conclusion that I could spend as much money as I wanted but the truck would never tow like a 2500. Every mod helps a little, but you never seem to be quite able to get there. Lots of others here on the forum have reported similar experiences.

Not saying don't do it, just sharing some experience. To your question, I would go with the 4.30's, you should see a nice improvement. 4.56 is pretty deep and the truck will be screaming at highway speeds when not towing.

V-10 Excursion owners have reported that re-gearing from 3.73 to 4.30 really makes the truck a lot more driveable when towing heavy.

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked in the auto service field for many years changing ring and pinion assy. and setting up properly is a pain in the. Look thru the salvage yards and get a good complete used rear end assy. in the ratio you want. Probably be cheaper and easier.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I know how to set the gears up correctly, I looked it up on YouTube while staying at a holiday inn express last night (sarcasm). Actually I can set up the gears and have the tools, but being able to do so, understanding the math behind the gear changes and how it actually changes the characteristics of the towing experience are two different things. Sometimes you just have to talk to someone who has been there and done that. If nothing else, it made for some good conversation and cheap entertainment.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Owned three Suburbans now...3.42 4-speed half ton, 4.10 4-speed half ton. 3.74 6-speed 3/4 ton.

I continue to be amazed at how much time the 6-speed truck spends in 4th gear and 3000+ RPM.

The more I drive, the more I wish I had a higher-geared rear end, so that the RPM's in 4th gear would be a little lower...

NONE of the vehicles want to do much of anything in "high gear"...and ALL THREE are very quick to drop all the way down to 4000 RPM gear ranges- I understand that there is a time and place for that, but it seems to come too often and too quickly.

Camper: 27 ft, 7000 lb gross weight, speed 65 to 75 MPH.

Comment to the weight police...While the 1/2 ton vehicles towed ok, there is a lot to be said for the heavier springs...and more about HANDLING than PULLING...and it's sort of a maxed out/marginal performance feeling on the half tons versus a 'competent' feeling with the 3/4 ton.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Gearsplitter
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure that V10 is the 3 valve version if you can find one.
Puma 30RKSS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I don't mean to come across the wrong way..
Have you ever changed gears before?

It is pretty far above the skill level of the average wrench. Getting it wrong will mean a short life for the gears.

What special tools do you have to do the job?

Usually someone that has the ability to do this job, would also have enough knowledge to not need to ask a question about it online.

And yes, I have done it, but first I did many other things that were easier like motor/tranny builds etc.

LOL, I was going to ask the EXACT same questions!

Yep, I was thinking that also. Not exactly plug and play.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

It is pretty far above the skill level of the average wrench. Getting it wrong will mean a short life for the gears.

Usually someone that has the ability to do this job, would also have enough knowledge to not need to ask a question about it online.

And yes, I have done it, but first I did many other things that were easier like motor/tranny builds etc.

LOL, I was going to ask the EXACT same questions!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW