cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cooking and drinking water

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
I've always wondered what everyone does regarding cooking and drinking water. When you stay at a campground that has water and electricity do you use the water that is connected to the campgrounds water supply for drinking and cooking? If so, do you use a filter? I'm assuming you don't fill your fresh water tank at your house and drive to your location. Or do you bring bottled water or one of those portable 5 gallon water jugs?

We seem to do a little bit of both but we don't have a filter. I have found though that some campgrounds water tastes different than what I'm used to. The last campground we stayed at it affected the way the noodles tasted.

Karen
44 REPLIES 44

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with full FW (filled with a 5 micron particle filter) and use the tank for everything. After 3-4 days I refill using the available water. We also always use water from the tank, not the city water connection.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We fill up the tank and use that for everything. Drinks, cooking etc. When it gets low we fill up where we are at. Never a problem. We never us water hook ups always the pump. Works great and I never worry about a leak. I also drink out of the garden hose here at the house when I am thirsty. Just let the old water run out first and then start drinking. 61 years never had a stomach problem.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We always travel with water on-board just in case....potty stops or when CG water source is not available

We hookup to water source when available and use it for all purposes.

We only use bottle water IF we are in an area that has very hard water. We then hook up our portable water softener. The bottled water is only for making coffee as the softened water doesn't make good coffee. Even then we use the softened water for everything else.......cooking, cleaning, drinking.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've never put a drop of water in our tank or used the water pump (hope they work). We're connected 100% of the time to city water. For the first couple of weeks we'll bring water from home and only use the campground water for showers and dishes until the chorline smell goes away and the campground's system gets a good flush. After that, the taste seems normal. We're not dead yet.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
As the previous poster said "To each his/her own". Folks who refuse to drink campground water or water from the FW tank will never be convinced otherwise (unless stuck in the middle of the desert with no other options).

Having said that, if you buy the small plastic bottles of water, please recycle.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
We tend to use our fresh water tank only if we're camping somewhere without water hookups...I see the benefit of partially filling for flushing on the road (especially with 2 kids and frequent bathroom stops) but I usually don't bother with it.

We carry a couple of 3-gallon store-bought jugs of drinking water, and add a couple of 5-gallon jugs filled at home for dry camping without hookups. I personally will drink water from our tank or from a campground supply, and use it for cooking and making coffee. DW doesn't like the taste of either and usually drinks the store-bought water. To each his/her own.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I typically use the campground water for washing dishes and showering and for taking an occasional aspirin. Typically drink bottled spring water if I am not drinking a cold beer.

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We've never used our fresh water tank. I was always afraid that it would be gross (slimy or mildewey) or taste like plastic. I guess I need to look into using it and figuring out how to prep it and keep it clean.

Explorer II
Explorer II
We have only a few gallons of water in our fresh tank for flushing on the road. Wash or hands with santiwipes.
We bring gallon jugs from home to drink and cook with.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We have the best tasting water in the world from our well. ( I think so, anyway ). I hate the taste of chlorine, so we bring a 5 gal cooler for coffee and drinking. When glamping, we hardly ever use water for cooking; broth for noodles, for example. On long trips of over a week, I'll fill the tank. I've never been concerned about safety of campground water, just taste. If we run out of our water, I just run to the nearest grocery store and buy a coupla jugs of distilled water.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We always fill to the brim before we hit the road plus usually two 5 gallon jugs etc. We alays travel with full water. Why not.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of public campgrounds have water that has been tested and complies with health standards...there are times where odor & taste is there but safe to drink...yes it is....add a whole house water filter so all water coming into your camper has an added filtration to cut down on odor/taste & sediment
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
If it's taste then use bottled water...if it's safety add a filter snd assuming you've sanitized your system.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not me - We bring our own... I have to bring my certain brand of water anyway to make my fresh ground Bean coffee. Having the same brand of water insures the same taste we both enjoy...

We just wash dishes and take showers from our fresh water tank.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville wrote:
...I'm assuming you don't fill your fresh water tank at your house and drive to your location....

Well, you assume wrong. I always leave home with full fresh water. If I run low while traveling I fill from most any trusted source although some water is better than other water. We also drink the water in the fresh water tank, I don't see any need to reinvent the wheel.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900