cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I miss something, 385 HP for 2016 Ram diesel?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Watched the video someone posted about the Tacoma towing and then went to another link/video done by same shop where they tested the new 2016 Ram 3500 dually towing a backhoe. It was said during the video how the engine had 385 HP and 900Ft/TQ. In MY '15 GM had the lowest of the 3 in terms of HP & TQ, Ram had higher HP and highest TQ and Ford had highest HP and smidge under the Ram in TQ. Now, based on the vid, it seems Ram went backwards on HP and upwards in TQ. Did I miss something? Was under the impression that HP would go up if TQ went up.

Plus, in video, the price of tested truck was $75K!!!!!!!!!!:E
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
28 REPLIES 28

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
In the "old" days, for diesels, HP was about half of the value of torque. Now, that no longer applies. Yes, it the 6.7 peak torque is an amazing 900 lbs of torque and only 385 HP. However, even with a lower expected amount of HP, it really depends on when that HP is "turned on". With today's computers driving today's engines and transmissions, peak horsepower may not always mean as much. If an engine can apply more horsepower and torque during certain power bands then that may be more effective than just more horsepower or torque overall on paper.

I have a 2011 RAM 3500 RAM and I have had the chance to drive and pull with a 2015 RAM 3500. Mine is a 350/650 6.7 Cummins and the rental had a 370/800 6.7 and I can tell you there was a different feel to both. The rental had the 68RFE transmission with a 3.42 rear axle and mine has a 68RFE with a 4.10 axle and with only 20 HP difference, the newer truck did not feel at all lacking in the HP or torque department. So obviously computer calibrations helped. I'd probably say from a dead stop the truck's would be even in a race and more than just a 20 HP difference to feel. Usually, to me, it take much more than just 20 HP to "feel" a difference.
I'd also like to add that the newer truck used DEF and the unloaded highway mileage was awesome. Pulling our cargo trailer felt great though it did seem to downshift more often from 6th gear to 5th gear as apposed to my 2011 but the mileage and "tuning" from the factory seemed to more than make up for it.
All in all, my long winded point is that despite HP number or torque numbers on paper, there's more to it than that. If you're unsure, no matter which brand, all I can really recommend is take a test drive.
I was thinking in my mind that the 370/800 6.7 Cummins would be a slouch with the only rear axle available for SRW, the 3.42, and it really wasn't. I was pleasantly surprised how RAM tweaked things.

Frost
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shepstone wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
1jeep wrote:
according to this it is the 68rfe
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRKL8GG116316

and yes I would expect a medium duty tranny in a dually, I am trying to make a deal on a truck that is in the dealer stock without ordering one. If I do order a truck I might just go back to ford, but I am open to either brand. Stock on the 1 ton dually trucks in new England is very slim!

Truck and RV in pic weighed 28-29K and most of the 65K miles were towing. Truck was 2011 HO Dually 68RFE with 3:42's ZERO problems.

Only issue was taking off from a start on a grade. Same truck with 4:10's would have cured that one problem.

Hey Cummins how does the Aisin shift compared to the older one? Firmer / softer? Same shift points?

It for sure gets the load rolling easier, it's like having a granny first gear. I know the 4:10's make some difference but I have driven my Son's 3500 SRW Aisin with at lease 18K dump trailer in tow and it took off real easy also.

As far as the shifting the Aisin does not stay unlocked near as long when shifting and a lot of the time it feels like it goes locked to locked but is not a slam. The shifts are firm and positive. I honestly did not have a problem with how the 68RFE shifted but I REALLY like how this one does. After owning both I would recommend the Aisin and the extra HP/TQ.

I would also recommend the Aisin/3:42's towing up to 24K combined or so. Any heavier 4:10's and skip the 3:73's because the 3:42's in 5th are the same RPM's as the 4:10's in 6th 1,750 @ 60mph.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
all I have been able to find that im interest in is (1)ran 3500 drew dually and a F45. im not really convinced I need the 450 as it has 4:30 gears, the ford I like but hate the color being white the ram is my color black on black leather.

right now both dealers are pushing decent discounts on in stock models, if it weren't for that I would just order what I wanted.

Ok, not entirely true, I can find many chassis cabs or lower equipped models, im looking for one that is loaded,
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
snipped> Stock on the 1 ton dually trucks in new England is very slim!

You are so right! Check out high volume dealers down south and out west. I ended up in North Carolina to find the Ram I wanted, optioned the way I wanted it. They usually have over 250 Rams in stock. We flew down and drove it back to RI. It was a great weekend adventure.
I was willing to go out to Idaho if the deal was right but there were no fifth wheel prep equipped trucks. I thought it was a bit narrow minded but I'm no truck sales expert.

Then there is a guy over at cumminsforum who is a dealer in Indiana. He seems to be getting some pretty good deals form the posts. I have mine so I quit looking though.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
1jeep wrote:
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRKL8GG116316

and yes I would expect a medium duty tranny in a dually, I am trying to make a deal on a truck that is in the dealer stock without ordering one. If I do order a truck I might just go back to ford, but I am open to either brand. Stock on the 1 ton dually trucks in new England is very slim!

Truck and RV in pic weighed 28-29K and most of the 65K miles were towing. Truck was 2011 HO Dually 68RFE with 3:42's ZERO problems.

Only issue was taking off from a start on a grade. Same truck with 4:10's would have cured that one problem.

Hey Cummins how does the Aisin shift compared to the older one? Firmer / softer? Same shift points?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
1jeep wrote:

That truck is 370 hp with 800 lbft of torque. It will do all you need.;)

yes im certain it will move my trailer, however im going from 400hp/800tq, so sorry, but in my mind that is a bit of a step back. Besides I owned a 94 5.9 years ago and went through trannys like people change underwear so I am a bit hesitant to return to dodge/ram/fiat. sort of like a former ford 6.0 owner would be hesitant to buy a new 6.7 ford.

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
1jeep wrote:

Ha! What fun is that....:Z Go big!!

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"IF" the truck you are looking at is the 385 HP truck then it DOES have the Aisin. Or if you just look under the hood the dipstick for the trans will tell you what it has. Dipstick on right = Aisin on left = 68RFE.

Looking in, not the left or right side of the vehicle. Dip Stick as pictured on Drivers side is the Aisin MD Japanese tranny. Passengers side is 68RFE RAM tranny.

A bit like the old stew/pilot story, stew went back and looked at engines on the wings and returned to incorrectly tell the pilot which one was on fire. Also why boats have port and starboard sides. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
1jeep wrote:

25% fewer moving parts and a more reliable lift pump should make the decision easy for all but diehard brand fans.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
1jeep wrote:
This is what I don't get about ram. I have been looking at a ram 3500 dually, apparently it has the 385hp engine with the non Asian tranny. Then I look at rams website and see it has the tranny that is rated for less power.
Why cant ram/dodge be like ford/gm and use one tranny for all? Its sort of a turn off for me.

Its called an OPTION. Its the reason we can pick between Ford, GM and Ram. You pick the one you like. I wanted the Cummins engine and was perfectly fine with the "low" HP and torque rating of the 68RFE. If I had the budget, I would have gotten the Aisin... however I was stretching my budget as it was. The 68RFE is plenty of transmission for me and the power is plenty for me. Rather than not being able to afford a Cummins because the transmission was too expensive, I was able to compromise and get a great truck.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:
This is what I don't get about ram. I have been looking at a ram 3500 dually, apparently it has the 385hp engine with the non Asian tranny. Then I look at rams website and see it has the tranny that is rated for less power.
Why cant ram/dodge be like ford/gm and use one tranny for all? Its sort of a turn off for me.

"IF" the truck you are looking at is the 385 HP truck then it DOES have the Aisin. Or if you just look under the hood the dipstick for the trans will tell you what it has. Dipstick on right = Aisin on left = 68RFE.

No turn off in my opinion. You can have a Medium Duty transmission if you want to pay the extra $. If not then the HP and standard 68RFE will be fine in most applications.

RAM has it right they allow 3 different HP/Transmission options to choose from.