cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Generator in tow vehicle

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed a Diesel Generator in their diesel tow vehicle? Seems line a logical setup. If so, what make of generator did you use (onan, etc) and how has it worked out.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES
16 REPLIES 16

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Heck..eventually these 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks will run electric motors with diesel generators themselves...

But as to the OP, I have seen folk with them at campgrounds, but I have no experience with a diesel generator myself. My Champion Inverter (2800 maybe? Can't remember the model) runs my AC and will charge my batteries. I have a big solar kit that I need to install to keep the batteries charged, once I do that I won't need a generator ๐Ÿ™‚ Well I prefer AC, but you know...
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I've always wondered why trucks couldn't be optioned with a generator option running on the vehicle's engine + hybrid system. A computer could control the engine so that it wasn't running all the time.

Just plug into the an outlet in the bed and hit the switch.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm I the only one on here that remembers the Ford PowerPack? :W
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen several medium duty trucks with aftermarket beds that had built in Diesel generators. Every one I have seen had a Onan.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
So you can only use the 120 volt appliances in the trailer when the truck is at the trailer. I guess when the wife leaves to go shopping or such everything in the trailer shuts down. Seems kinda silly but to each there own I guess.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Happy Prospector wrote:
When I bought my truck it came with an alternator already installed, why would you want a generator for your truck?

Just guessing here, but probably to run the microwave, A/C and other things in his trailer that need 30 amps of 110 power to run. It's a little hard to get that out of an alternator. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck it came with an alternator already installed, why would you want a generator for your truck?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I seen someone had one for sale online sometime back that he had built a alum tread plate box around. He said his Dad had built and used it while towing their 5th wheel. It was an Onan diesel, looked like a pretty decent setup, it had openings on the bottom for air cir and had the exhaust in the upward position. Just looked like a possible nightmare to service or work on.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
christopherglenn wrote:
"Spilled diesel is forever"??

:h

I find it easier to cleanup after working on my diesel, than either of my gassers.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
"Spilled diesel is forever"??
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure what your exact requirements would be, but diesel generators start out heavy, and you'd want emissions equipment on them to get rid of the soot and smell from the exhaust, so even heavier, and more expensive.

Spill a drop of fuel, and the place REALLY starts to stink like a truck stop... Spilled gasoline evaporates. Spilled diesel is forever.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That would be a splendid idea if you plan to use the generator heavily and have the budget.
Otherwise as mentioned, you can do a lot with a Honda or 2 reliably.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I probably should of said I was thinking of a hauler body like Utility Bodywerks or Herrin Haulers

Thanks. Good information.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
One issue that I've seen with diesel generators is that, unless worked fairly hard, the exhaust systems can plug up with soot & gunk. That was a good 15 years ago though. The generators were Honda 5 KVA & 10 KVA.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison