cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Ram4Sam wrote:
Let's play with some of these numbers...

400 mile tow..

8.1 gas guzzler..400 miles @ 7mpg..uses 57 gallons
57 x $1.70 is $96.90:(

My diesel truck..400 mile tow..

coal burner...400 miles @bla bla bla, lies lies lies

How about a 400 mile empty trip...

8.1 gas guzzler...400 miles.. I'm guessing bla bla bla
Coal burner...400 miles @ lies lies lies bla bla bla

Or, instead of selective price picking from all over the country bla bla bla that means nothing unless you are there, here are prices in my area...

Same 400 mile tow...
yada yada yada
Do the math in your area and you might be surprised!

Sam

Let's play some more with the numbers:

400 mile tow:

Gasser: 10 MPG, cost of fuel: $2.00/gallon => $80.00

Coal burner: 7 MPG (dumb diesel owners never checks tire pressures), cost of fuel: $3.00/gallon => $171.43 + $5,000 (added cost of diesel engine) = $5,171.43, not including lost hundreds of hours over lifetime defending yourself in a stupid argument on the internet.

What's better? $80 for a 400 mile trip or $5,171.43 for 400 miles (and no life)?

It's easier to remember this way though:
G = gasser = genius
D = diesel = dumb

Q: Why did the truck owner with the diesel engine stare at the orange juice?
A: Because it said "Concentrate"

Q: What are two ways to keep a truck owner with the diesel engine busy for hours?
A:
1. Give them a computer and tell them that a gasser is better.
2. Write "Please turn over" on both sides of a piece of paper.

Q. What does a a truck owner with the diesel engine and beer bottles have in common?
A. They're both empty from the neck up but one of them will always claim it's full.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
TxCoastCamper wrote:
Not mellow. Mallow!! Marshmallow...

Wiki says: "The traditional recipe used an extract from the mucilaginous root of the marshmallow plant, a shrubby herb (Althaea officinalis), instead of gelatin; the mucilage was used to soothe sore throats."

Mucilaginous, hmmm, maybe I won't buy them after all...
But wait! There is a special on them again next week and it's the family sized package!!!!
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Not mellow. Mallow!! Marshmallow...

Wiki says: "The traditional recipe used an extract from the mucilaginous root of the marshmallow plant, a shrubby herb (Althaea officinalis), instead of gelatin; the mucilage was used to soothe sore throats."

Mucilaginous, hmmm, maybe I won't buy them after all...
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

woodrow
Explorer
Explorer
DUDE! with the economy the way it is, marshmellow prices have skyrocketed! I'm so not camping next year....
2013 Arctic Fox 811
'07 Duramax Crew Cab/Thunderjet Luxor Offshore
Sold: Flagstaff TT/Forest river 23t/Cougar 314 5er/Arctic fox 811/2000 Tioga 29z class c

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote wrote:
Someone's getting a bit defensive.....

Sounds like everyone is....
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Someone's getting a bit defensive.....

Maybe the high cost of brown sugar right now is just too much to handle.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Madhatter1 wrote:
8.1 wins!!!he has proven that based on the cost of gas that it can haul a heavy load better and cheaper than diesel. He can use the lowest grade with no power loss due to knock sensors and will have superior performance, the steeper the hills the more the atvantage. There is clearly no atvantage to running adiesel truck even if you tow a lot. He has proven that Rodolph Diesel was a nut case and that the BTU content theory was a dream. Like Dr Evil says, Riiiight!!!. Diesel is not for all but niether is gas. Get off your high horse. You provide negative value to an otherwise valuable forum.

Hey boy, then humor me by saying I should have kept my 2003 6.0 PSD Excursion after the warranty expired to carry 12 people and pay 60% more for fuel.:R

blt2ski
Dpending upon the truck, a 16K 5W may not put a SW rig over GRAWR and the GVWR of the vehicle. My 2000 C2500 has just under 4K lbs availible on the RA before going over wt. So as long as I kept a 16K trailer at say 20% HW, I should be fine! Now if you are talking crew cab vs my reg cab, now you may have some issues with the SW towing a 16K trailer. The SW F350 probably has the ability to do it also.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 wins!!!he has proven that based on the cost of gas that it can haul a heavy load better and cheaper than diesel. He can use the lowest grade with no power loss due to knock sensors and will have superior performance, the steeper the hills the more the atvantage. There is clearly no atvantage to running adiesel truck even if you tow a lot. He has proven that Rodolph Diesel was a nut case and that the BTU content theory was a dream. Like Dr Evil says, Riiiight!!!. Diesel is not for all but niether is gas. Get off your high horse. You provide negative value to an otherwise valuable forum.

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
An f550 with a v10, 5.38's and 12,000 to 15,000 pounds? I betcha you could count the mpg's on one hand!

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
A 550 with a 5.38 and a V10 would be a joke. When you get that big anything other than a diesel makes no sense. I would like to see a 2500 or 3500 gasser at 5000 feet pull a 6% 5 mile grade pulling an 11000 pound 5er. It will probably do it, just very slowly. Remember a stock gasser looses about 3% of its power for every 1000 ft. of elevation. 5000 feet leaves you with 85% of the gassers power. I have nothing against a gasser. They just wont pull like a diesel.

Cigar Mike
2004.5 2500 CTD Dodge Ram Quad Cab Longbed
2005 CF29CK Crossroads Cruiser with all the options

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
I'd bet a C2500 would be over the GVWR (and probably the rear GAWR) with the pin weight of a 16,000lb 5er. Need a dually for THAT dead weight.

2009 C5500 8.1 19,500 lb GVWR/26,000 lb GCWR

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd bet a C2500 would be over the GVWR (and probably the rear GAWR) with the pin weight of a 16,000lb 5er. Need a dually for THAT dead weight.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
mgratner wrote:
You can't haul an 11,000 lb. 5th wheel, without being overweight, with a gasser. Torque is power and torque costs money. Comparing a diesel to a gasser is like comparing a piper cub to a 747.

Cigar Mike

Bull. There certainly are gassers that can tow 11,000lbs (or more). Offhand, what about an F-550 with the V10 and 5.38 gears?

The 2007 2500HD with 8.1 and 4.10's had up to a 16,100 lb tow rating and the 8.1 is available in the 2009 C4500 to C8500 GM medium-duty trucks.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgratner wrote:
You can't haul an 11,000 lb. 5th wheel, without being overweight, with a gasser. Torque is power and torque costs money. Comparing a diesel to a gasser is like comparing a piper cub to a 747.

Cigar Mike

Bull. There certainly are gassers that can tow 11,000lbs (or more). Offhand, what about an F-550 with the V10 and 5.38 gears?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion