cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you shower in your camper

The_Titan
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped in our 23b for 12 years and have rarely used the shower for fear of filling the grey water tank. My question is do you use the shower. My next question is how much water do you think you use. I don't mind toting fresh water but I hate to overfill my tank.
Tom & Lee
And Molly (small dog)
2003 Explorer XLT v6
2004 Jayco J Feather 23b Hensley
38 REPLIES 38

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer full hook sites with my smaller hybrid, and we use our shower all the time.

I like the fact that I don't have to wear flip flops to shower or risk catching something that makes my toenails school bus yellow.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all the time.
We too have a blue tote tank for the gray water, since we dry camp nearly all the time.
Don't understand why some spend thousands for their RV and then refuse to use the shower or toilet.:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The Titan wrote:
We have camped in our 23b for 12 years and have rarely used the shower for fear of filling the grey water tank. My question is do you use the shower. My next question is how much water do you think you use. I don't mind toting fresh water but I hate to overfill my tank.

Where do you camp? What's the problem of filling up th grey tank? If you would give some detail of your situation, like going to the dump station or something, it would really help.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Just every night
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
One of the selling features of our new, fiver was the 4' shower. We also have a 27 gallon Thetford tote to drain grey water if needed when not on FHU.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is not a hybrid, but we do use the shower ... always, with full hook-up or not. I have a blue tote which hauls away everything. Why have that space in your camper if you aren't going to use it?

Now, about water consumption? I CAN answer that quite accurately. How? Well, we driveway camp and we use the shower in the camper (even though we have one right in the house). So, I dump the gray water into a bucket and then dump the gray on our plants or in the field behind the house. (Yes, we live in the country where you can still pee in your front yard and no one is around to see you do it!)

Anyway, a few week-ends ago when camping we had full hook-ups so I used the opportunity to REALLY flush both black and gray tank. I came home with both tanks empty.

That night we drive-way camped and used the shower. Both my wife and I before going to work. That evening I dumped the gray into a 4 gallon bucket. The bucket was not even half full! REALLY! Both of us took a shower and between the 2 of us, we used less that 2 gallons.

When taking a shower, it seems like we're using a lot of water, but I suppose that shower head just makes it seem like we're using a lot. But the proof was in the bucket!

We Navy shower ... get wet, turn the water off, soap up, then rinse off.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Yes about 7-8 gal/

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I confess I'm baffled as to why one might fear filling the gray-water tank. That is what it is for.

My 21 foot TT has a 25 gallon gray tank. It takes AT LEAST a dozen showers to fill it if you do nothing else. A 3-5 gallon shower is what is called a profligate and extravagant waste of both water and propane to heat said water. You can get clean with only a gallon or two if you even half try.

We empty the gray tank a couple times a week, my wife and I. The ONLY time we've ever filled the gray tank completely, it was because our visiting daughter did the dishes and thinking we had the dump valve open, ran water the entire time for rinsing the dishes.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to get up early, and I like the peaceful walk to the shower house. Once there, because I got up early, I enjoy a long, hot shower with no worry of water conservation or burnt propane.

Besides, our little 19' TT has a tiny little shower. I am not a big guy, but I want to splash around and get all soapy....without tearing the curtain from the hooks or splashing the celing.

Wife used it once to rinse off. Shower house water went cold, she came back all soapy :M AHHHHHHHHH soap UNDER her clothes :E

Having said this... boondocking (which we tend not to do) or if the shower house was disgusting...that is why we have a trailer with a shower. I would use it because I do not want to be soapy, mad guy flip-flopping back to the TT.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just like hotel beds. I don't like picking up foot fungi from someone else in a community shower. Easier to use my own then climb into bed.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting question, but I did chuckle when I read it. We spent 10's of thousands of dollars for just the right floor plan , so I am not going to use a public bathroom when I have my own really nice private one right next to my bedroom! ??
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Family of 4, and we use it all the time. I'd rather use the blue tote than the campground shower. We can do a weekend with 8 showers and washing dishes and not fill the grey. We do often wash dishes in a bowl and dump that in the toilet.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
Wife uses the bathroom always, I use the cg most of the time, if it's clean..

hinds103
Explorer
Explorer
Use it all the time. As others stated between 3 and 5 gallons per shower. For me personally (can't speak for the wife and son) I just turn the shower off after wetting down and rinse off when done cleaning. So if I'm frugal and want to make my grey water tank last I can take a shower in no more than 2 gallons.

I don't mind draining my grey water in to the blue boy and toting it to the dump station when full hookups are not available.
Tim Hinds
04 Starcraft Travel Star 19ck (Loaded)
01 Ford F250 Super Duty Super Crew 4x4
04 Ford Explorer 4x4
Myself
The Wife
Our Son Matthew

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
5-7Gal PER SHOWER? Seriously?
Jeff - WA6EQU