cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be lazy

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We all do it. Unhook the weight distribution bar on one side then step over the hitch to do the other side rather than walk around the truck.

I brought the trailer home after having a slide seal replaced and did exactly as I described above. I've done this more times than I can count. Well this time I stepped between the brake-away cable and the trailer frame without realizing it. I came down like I had been lassoed! I smashed my left shoulder into the truck bumper before I face planted into the gravel.

I have over 80K invested in two previous left shoulder surgeries and I certainly didn't need this. I wish I had taken the extra 15 seconds it would have taken to walk around the truck. Time will tell what my laziness cost me this time. I hope only it is only a few days of soreness. Please think about this before you step over the hitch!!!!
50 REPLIES 50

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
It also hurts when you don't quite clear the jack handle!:(
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm lucky to be in good enough health to climb all over my rigs without worry. A few years from now I'll feel differently about it....
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all these replies my thoughts are;
These are the "golden years"????? Knees going- hips going- shoulders going- eyesight going- sex--- ah well you get the idea.:B

Be careful folks and maybe we'll all meet up somewhere down the road.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
At 5'6" I have never felt comfortable climbing over, although DH does it all the time. Probably should point this out to him, since neither his high-tech hip or leg brace would be good in a fall like that. Oh, ouch....sorry about the tumble. Hope you mend quickly....those shoulder things are no fun....not to mention the PT later. PT folks are a "mean" bunch! Take care.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beachums wrote:
I have always been adamant about going around instead of stepping over, but for another reason. No matter how much I have chocked and stabilized, I still would not bet a leg crushing on the chance that the loads won't shift or something wont fail. Pure and simple, the coupling area is a pinch point. Never trust any of that equipment with vital parts of your anatomy. Especially when 10 seconds spent walking around the vehicle can mitigate it.
Always leave yourself an out. While you are straddling your umm a'hem... over the WD, you have no out.

Thanks for sharing and get well soon.

Although I agree that it is a good idea to walk around, I don't quite understand the "straddling", "pinch point" reference and the"vital parts of your anatomy". Surely you don' t mean the coupler can jump off of the ball since the trailer has tongue weight holding it on plus the WD bars pull down on yhe coupler making the pressure on yhe ball even greater. It cannot come up on it's own.

In addition, if the couler is on the ball, the truck and trailer cannot come together. What can cause a "pinch point"?
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you are just sore, and not damaged, good luck with a speedy recovery!

I'm lazy too, I always go over the hitch, usually I use the top cover of the coupler as the step. I don't go over the A-frame because it is too tight there and I don't like hitting my shins. Good advice, but I think I'm just too lazy to change LOL.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Get well and thanks for posting.

When unhooking, my wife does the passenger side and I do the drivers side, because the walk around is hard on me. (Disability)

It works well.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Hope your couple days of soreness go by quickly. Good advice on being careful.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Get Well Soon,

and I being a newbe... thanks for the advice.
and I will try to keep it in this old brain.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Having done some farming realize how dangerous it is walking between. Also being a retired LEO I hesitate walking between any vehicles. I learned from other peoples mistakes.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I walk around for two reasons, one I'm tired of banging my shins and two as NanciL posted I'm tired of getting grease on myself.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I walk around for a different reason.
Every time I step over, I end up getting grease on one of my pant legs.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm old, I can't get my leg up that high any more.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, I never step over my trailer's tongue to get to the other side, thought about it, but never did it. After reading this, I will never try it. Hope you didn't do anymore damage to yourself.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness I'm too short to even attempt to cross over that way!

Hope you get better soon!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer