cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downsizing Our Trailer & Tow Vehicle

genick
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to downsize our trailer to something in the 20' to 22' range, & also to downsize from our V8 truck to a V6, preferably a SUV. The trailers we've been looking at have a GVWR of 5000 lbs or less. Can we safely haul a trailer of this weight with a V6? Does anyone have suggestions on SUVs that have decent gas mileage that could tow 5000 lbs or less?
Thanks for any help.
27 REPLIES 27

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
stop thinking towing capacity and start thinking payload.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hammerhead wrote:
Don't forget about the ecodiesel option in the Grand Cherokee. Our 2008 and 2014 Grand Cherokees were/are diesel and they are better tow vehicles than our 2002 Durango with the 5.9 liter V-8 and 3.92 gear ratio. I'm not sure if the new models are still getting delayed for EPA testing...
The Diesel Dilemma - So you pay a premium price for the diesels and as an extra added bonus you take a big hit on the payload left over for hauling your trailer.

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about the ecodiesel option in the Grand Cherokee. Our 2008 and 2014 Grand Cherokees were/are diesel and they are better tow vehicles than our 2002 Durango with the 5.9 liter V-8 and 3.92 gear ratio. I'm not sure if the new models are still getting delayed for EPA testing...

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
genick wrote:
We're looking to downsize our trailer to something in the 20' to 22' range, & also to downsize from our V8 truck to a V6, preferably a SUV. The trailers we've been looking at have a GVWR of 5000 lbs or less. Can we safely haul a trailer of this weight with a V6? Does anyone have suggestions on SUVs that have decent gas mileage that could tow 5000 lbs or less?
Thanks for any help.

The only V6 I'd consider for that load would be an Ecoboost 3.5 v6, but the smallest you can get it in that can handle a typical 22 foot camper would be the Expedition.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
sam22 wrote:
Grand Cherokee!

I've seen lots of them towing smaller TT's. nothing wrong with them as a TV. I spoke with a man towing a 25 ft airstream with a 3.6 V6 grand Cherokee and he said he was really pleased with the combo. He had a BMW X5 before the Grand Cherokee and said the Jeep was a better TV.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grand Cherokee!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

APT
Explorer
Explorer
genick wrote:
Thank you everyone for the replies - you've given us a lot to think about. In answer to a couple of questions about why we were looking to go from a V8 to a V6, first, our truck is getting up in age & gas mileage is really declining. Second, we're looking to downsize our TT, so we thought maybe a smaller vehicle would also work. Doesn't sound promising, though. We live in the Denver area, so traveling through the mountains is a consideration for us. Sounds like we're probably going to stick with a V8 even if we downsize the TT. Thanks again for all the info.

Most mid-sized SUVs have frontal area restrictions for the 5000+ pound tow ratings. This means not towing a 5000 pound high walled RV.

Power from a naturally aspirated V6 is not likely to be satisfactory for moving 10k pounds, especially at higher altitudes. If you can find something with a turbocharger, you'll be happy. Ford's 2.7L might be a good fit for you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
How about an inline 6? Buy a Cummins and be done with it.

Yes... And have infinite transmission and front suspension problems.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really like my tow combo. I use my truck as a daily driver and really like it for that too.

Each to their own.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the sized trailer in what your going down to, but a lot of new options out there in the 1/2 ton market. Me personally if I were to downsize to a small camper, I would look into the Gm midsize trucks with the 2.8 Dmax. Great economy and has a 7 k pound tow rating with the 4x4 and Dmax. Don't know the payload off hand, but lots of reviews on trucks on TFL on YouTube.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

genick
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the replies - you've given us a lot to think about. In answer to a couple of questions about why we were looking to go from a V8 to a V6, first, our truck is getting up in age & gas mileage is really declining. Second, we're looking to downsize our TT, so we thought maybe a smaller vehicle would also work. Doesn't sound promising, though. We live in the Denver area, so traveling through the mountains is a consideration for us. Sounds like we're probably going to stick with a V8 even if we downsize the TT. Thanks again for all the info.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
genick wrote:
Thanks for any help.

The Nissan Pathfinder has been getting good reviews, it's rated at 6,000# and is a V6 with good mileage and decent hauling. There are a couple of others too, but that would be best matched to downsizing and a 21 foot I'd guess. If you are in the mountains much the V6 may be pushed at altitude.
I did a fairly extensive look recently at this mid sized SUV market, for a slightly larger trailer. For me the best is the BMW X5 With the deisel, but I'm pulling 6,000# so need more torque than you do. They are expensive new, but they are very reliable and the price drops rapidly on the used ones, at least around here. They get great mileage and handle very well.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
What about an Expedition? 17's are aluminum and have the 3.5L V6 Eco-boost. Awesome!!!!

That would be the best by far.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRP, what is rear wheel frame? I said Explorer was front wheel drive. Yes, there is an all wheel option. Per Car and Driver..."Itโ€™s standard with front-wheel drive and a 290-hp V-6; all-wheel drive is optional"
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad