Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 5.0 vs Tundra

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning!

I have a Springdale 260TBL that checks in a 4890 Dry. We have been towing it with a crew cab GMC 1500 with the 5.3. The truck handles it fine but it is very under powered. The truck has 210,000 miles and its time to replace it.

We have 3 kids so I am totally digging the size of the cabs on both the F-150 and the Crew Max Tundra. We keeps vehicles for a long time. Honestly, I like the look of the F-150 and I know it has more features. I would only be interested in the 5.0 Motor with 3.73 rear end. I'm sure its much better on fuel as well.

I am attracted to the Tundra for its durability. I still see a ton of 2007 models on the road that aren't even rusty.

Is the reliability and resale worth more than the features and high tech design of the new F-150?
108 REPLIES 108

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Forum corrupt
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity, what rear end did the 5.0L have, 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73?? I can't image the 5.0L feeling slow from 0 - 40mph unless it had the 3.31 differential.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
blackgrizz550 wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Congratulations on your new truck.

375 HP, 470 LB FT torque!!! Sweet.

Thanks. I'll admit, the 5.0 had lots of power too. In fact I flat footed it at 10 mph and the back tires broke loose.

The biggest diffence was throttle response and low end power. The Eco's power is right there at all times, where the 5.0 needed pedal persuation to get into it. If had never tried the Eco, we would have left with the 5.0.

The Tundra felt similar to the 5.0 when they were wound out, but it had more than the 5.0 from 0-40.

Congrats on the truck. If I were going to get an Ecoboost, that one is it with the multiport fuel injection for carbon cleaning, and the direct fuel injection for power.

I test drove the 2016 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost and it was stronger at some lower speeds from 3000 -4500 rpms, when downshifting, but about equal at other speeds when downshifting. I didn't take it up past 4500 rpms since this was a test on new trucks. Plus I don't usually drive at rpms up to 6000 rpm.

I was really impressed this round when the new generation F150 was fitted with that 1st gen 3.5L Ecoboost. Was not impressed at all with the 3.5L Ecoboost in the last generation. They really made leaps and bounds with the 1st generation 3.5L Ecoboost in the new gen F150.

The 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost showed way more power in HP and torque than the 1st generation even though Ford didn't rate it as so. Looks like from Dyno measurements, the new 2017 3.5L Ecoboost is about 425 Hp and 510 lbs of torque. Much more than what Ford rates it for.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I geared down to 2nd on the steepest. Mind you, this presented itself an concern for 5 out of 6k miles. I never smelled brake pad. Maybe I could have used them more.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Coming down the long passes in the Rockies, I kept my speed way down due to lack of engine braking.

Question for you when you were coming down those long passes in the Rockies, did you gear down to something like 3rd to hold back your speed?
I love me some land yachting

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the truck. As much as the EB impressed you unloaded, wait until you get a trailer behind you. It's benefits are amplified when towing.

I'm at 50k trouble free miles. About 20k of those towing 7k pounds. Leaving this summer for our third 6k+ mile trip with it. It has been not only flawless, but impressive through everything the Rockies could throw at it.

Two weak moments to point out. Coming down the long passes in the Rockies, I kept my speed way down due to lack of engine braking. Second, when you hit headwinds, the mileage will drop like a rock. Both concerns are probably true in all trucks.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2012 F150 w/5.0 and 3.73 gears and now the 2016 5.0L w/3.73 gears.

The 2016 is a tow beast. Tons of torque and power anywhere I need it. I also get great mileage towing around 11 mpg and great mileage when not towing about 18.5 mpg mixed and up to 22 mpg expressway.

While many like the Ecoboost, I really like the 5.0L and why I got it in the 2016.

The 3.73 gears can be found and offer a lot more towing capacity and torque multiplication. The 3.73 diff is larger at 9.75" opposed to the 3.31 and 3.55 diff that's 8.8".

When saying the Tundra is more reliable is debatable. What I've seen complained about in the past, is that when these trucks are used for work, they don't have the reliability you would hope. They do better for grocery getting. They also have lower payload than Ford or GM.

Myself, if I could deal with the Tundra's lousy fuel economy, I'd then just get a F250 6.2L. Since I need some efficiency to daily commute, the F150 5.0L fits my needs.

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.7L and 6-speed auto in the Toyota's is a fantastic and proven powertrain. That said, I'd stump for a recent F150 over the Tundra were I buying right now as the ToyTun is 10 years old.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
RSD559 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
Just a question for the Toyota folks. Do the newer Toyota and Nissan trucks allow weight distribution hitches? Way back when, hooking up with weight distribution would void the warranty. Something about the frame, I think. More than two weeks ago, so I don't remember. They must have addressed that by now.

Don't know where you heard that but all he Tundras, even the first generation, allowed for WD hitches, no problem. In fact the second generation Tundra had the best receiver hitch on the market at the time IMO. They called it a "integrated receiver hitch". The side arms went way back into the frame. I towed with both generations with WD hitches though there is is no comparing the first to the second generation; world of difference.

I'd still be driving my 2007 Tundra 5.7 if it weren't for the fact I needed a bigger truck.

I noticed it when the Nissan Titan first came. Impressive towing ability with the exception of weight distribution. I read a review where they noted the limitation and the voiding of the warranty. I thought I had read somewhere that the Toyota trucks were the same. My mistake. That's why I asked about it instead of stating it as known fact.

No worries, and as others said, Toyota should look at increasing their payload to make it more competitive with other 1/2 tons like the Ford.

Toyota builds a very tough, rock solid truck but they tend to be very boring and lackluster compared to the offerings of the Big 3.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
Just a question for the Toyota folks. Do the newer Toyota and Nissan trucks allow weight distribution hitches? Way back when, hooking up with weight distribution would void the warranty. Something about the frame, I think. More than two weeks ago, so I don't remember. They must have addressed that by now.

Don't know where you heard that but all he Tundras, even the first generation, allowed for WD hitches, no problem. In fact the second generation Tundra had the best receiver hitch on the market at the time IMO. They called it a "integrated receiver hitch". The side arms went way back into the frame. I towed with both generations with WD hitches though there is is no comparing the first to the second generation; world of difference.

I'd still be driving my 2007 Tundra 5.7 if it weren't for the fact I needed a bigger truck.

I noticed it when the Nissan Titan first came. Impressive towing ability with the exception of weight distribution. I read a review where they noted the limitation and the voiding of the warranty. I thought I had read somewhere that the Toyota trucks were the same. My mistake. That's why I asked about it instead of stating it as known fact.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
OP, does it have the 10 speed or 6 speed transmission?

10 speed

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
RSD559 wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
OP, does it have the 10 speed or 6 speed transmission?
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

Thanks. I'll admit, the 5.0 had lots of power too. In fact I flat footed it at 10 mph and the back tires broke loose.

The biggest diffence was throttle response and low end power. The Eco's power is right there at all times, where the 5.0 needed pedal persuation to get into it. If had never tried the Eco, we would have left with the 5.0.

The Tundra felt similar to the 5.0 when they were wound out, but it had more than the 5.0 from 0-40.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS