Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 aluminum & resulting MPG

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Much lighter F150

Some "experts" predict 30mpg.

Sounds wildly optimistic to me but what do you guys think?

Can shaving 750lb result in that dramatic an increase?

Will that 750lb loss result in less control when towing?
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment
27 REPLIES 27

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Less weight might make a difference in town, where lower speed's the rule. Highway driving- nah. As mentioned before, at highway speeds it's almost all about aerodynamics except maybe on long uphill pulls.

I'm thinking the market for this pickup is grocery-getter/town "truck", so the lower weight fuel saving "advantage" will probably appeal to that market.

True, but who drives exclusively expressway with no speed variations. Even someone who drives mostly highway will have statistically significant time accelerating getting to the expressway. After all, what kills average MPG? It is the city portion driving the average down. Increase this part with no improvement in the highway MPG and you have an overall better MPG.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Less weight might make a difference in town, where lower speed's the rule. Highway driving- nah. As mentioned before, at highway speeds it's almost all about aerodynamics except maybe on long uphill pulls.

I'm thinking the market for this pickup is grocery-getter/town "truck", so the lower weight fuel saving "advantage" will probably appeal to that market.

I feel sure that there will be some models aimed at max fuel milage but I want to believe that Ford with have to keep the beefier models to stay in competition with the new offerings from Chevy and Ram. Hopefully it all will become clear within two weeks. Personally, I am hoping for an air suspension like the one Ram offers.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Could never let them sit in your driveway in Florida. Termites.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
Why bother with something as expensive as aluminum?

Ford should use duroplast, which is what they used in the East German Trabant.

Duroplast

Won't corrode, can be stamped, and when you want to dispose of it, feed it to pigs or shred it and put it in concrete mixes.

Low weight too.

Gotta love this material. This would make great stuff for RVs. Unless, of course, it caught on fire, was attacked by pigs or got the wrong bacteria on it. :B

hone eagle wrote:
Powerdude wrote:

Duroplast

Won't corrode, can be stamped, and when you want to dispose of it, feed it to pigs or shred it and put it in concrete mixes.

Low weight too.

Ford will go you one better

cellulose fiber

bio degradable , if you get stranded you can eat your centre console

From steel sheeted wood subframe beginnings back to wood fiber again. Bring back the Woody! Well, wood is as strong as steel per weight, when properly used. :B

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Reduced weight has very little effect on highway FE.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:

Duroplast

Low weight too.

Ford will go you one better

cellulose fiber

bio degradable , if you get stranded you can eat your centre console
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer

Duroplast

Low weight too.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
I have my doubts about hitting 30 mpg... Even with the rumored "Nano" ecoboost coming out, which should be a 2.7 liter v-6. It will be interesting to see how all the aluminum has affected costs. If Ford has figured out a way to keep costs at bay and switch to aluminum, I can see other manufacturers following a similar road. Another rumor I've read is that there will be 2 versions of the frame, 1 version for towing and the other version for daily driving. Towing versions of the frame would have more reinforcement. Also word about dropping fully boxed frames in favor of strategic c-channeling. We'll see if Ford continues to churn out those silver creek videos touting the current gen frame against then Tundra.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Semi truck cabs/bodies have been made from aluminum for years. F150s will do just fine with aluminum bodies. 🙂

I have seen frames as well,not sure why - payload ?

Exactly!
Had a neighbor that was a log hauler, he ran aluminum wheels not for looks, but for the weight savings.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove a Titan 90 Chevy class 8 tractor. Frame and cab were both alumumin, along with the 8500 gal tanker trailer, tare weight was 15k for tractor and 10k for trailer. Tractor had around 500k on the clock when we bought it. I put about 25k a year on it a year for the three years I drove it. No problems! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski
A lot of tractor trailer flatbeds and cargo box trailers have aluminum in them, on the beds etc also. Many dumptrucks depending upon "WHAT" they are hauling will be made of Aluminum also. It can and will save a reasonable amount of wt in a given rig, allow more cargo to be hauled etc.

On typical DOT class 3-5 trucks, steel wood flatbeds are in the 125 lbs per foot range, as I recall, an aluminum is 25-50 lbs lighter per foot. I could be wrong on the lbs, but still it is lighter.

As also noted, some aluminum frames etc can bend, once bent harder to fix than steel. Also it is typically softer, so other issues depending upon the what you are hauling etc should be avoided.

I would spec an aluminum flatbed on one of my trucks in a heart beat. Issues is, cost is about double$$$$$. Altho with steel right now going thru the roof. may not be as costly today as last time I priced things about 4yrs ago.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Semi truck cabs/bodies have been made from aluminum for years. F150s will do just fine with aluminum bodies. 🙂

I have seen frames as well,not sure why - payload ?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned my current Landrover for over 35 years it's 42 years old and made of aluminum except for the firewall and the frame. With the roof off it's like an open pick up truck and gets used as such, it sits outside nearly the whole time and although I don't drive a lot of miles in it anymore it does get driven often as I use it for shuffling trailers around on the front and back. The paint has faded but the aluminum is mostly like the day it came out of the factory.